statute barred: how to tell?

drees5761
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Send a SAR request to the OC (NOT any DCA chasing you). It will cost 10 GBP.

DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEBT EVEN IF YOU HAVE MADE PAYMENTS IN THE PAST as this starts the clock ticking again.

Once the debt is SB'd then thats it -- 100% defence at law FOR EVER.

SCREW the CRA's -- I HATE them almost as much as the DCA's -- or in fact EVEN MORE since there is TOTALLY NO TRANSPARENCY over what happens when people refer to your CRA and there appears to be no limit to the amount of data they can supply to 3rd parties.

I'd LOVE to get one of these bozos on breaking something in the Data Protection acts -- but I suppose as they collude with the Banks there will always be some reason why THEY get away with it but we would be stung with a prosecution and / or a heavy fine.

Cheers

jimbo

Hi,

If you check you credit file and something is not there that doesn't mean that no debt exists - it may just be that it has never been recorded with that credit agency.

Are you saying you've checked your file and this debt has dropped off or are you not sure.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

It is six years since the last PAYMENT has been made on your account, not the last contact, if that was true then no debt would EVER become statute barred as all the creditor would have to do is write to you....

If the payment was made under duress (ie they kept phoning up and you paid to get statements which didn't arrive) or they CANNOT prove that the payment DID come from you or your representative then it is the preceeding payment which counts (had this in a case recently, DCA had used a strange payment of £3.75 and claimed it was from the alleged debtor, alleged debtor was able to prove without question of doubt their whereabouts the day the DCA claimed they contacted and got the payment!)

It's the last payment on the account to whoever, but if the debt was stat barred then it makes no odds if who or when you pay after that, it's still stat barred.

The thing about payment under duress... how would this work? I've noted that that there was a payment to DLC made after being threatened that goods would be removed from my parents house

There you go, you've just answered your own question, that would be a prime example of getting payment by duress, plus, exploiting the debtors lack of knowledge, obtaining money by deception, psychological harassment & intimidation to name a few!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Defaults are usually entered one month after the last payment or activity on the account in question, so it will be a safe bet that 6 years (5 in Scotland) from the default date the debt will be SB, any activity on the account, either by payment or acknowledgement that the account is in fact owed blah blah blah, resets the limitation period to zero and the time starts again. However once the limitation period has run it's course, nothing niet nadda can ever restart the clock.

:behindsofa: hello BB..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If a payment is made after the default date does this reset the clock on the six years? Or is it still six years from the default date?

Yes it will reset the limitation clock, BUT if there has been a clear period of 6 years (5 in Scotland) and a payment is made after this period, then it does NOT reset the clock.

in a bid to clear up my credit file ive recently emailed Hilsden to say my debt was SB and they replied that according to their records it isnt and that "Due to your recent contact I confirm the new date for ‘statute barred’ is now September 2016."

i.e they took my email to be acknowledgement of the debt !

Default dates do not count for statute barring, so I have been told by a legal bod.... it is definately the last payment that counts more than any other date, and the payment has to come from the original debtor to the original creditor or its collecting agent, it CANNOT be a payment from a collecting agent to a creditor which does not identify the originating source.... he was quite specific on this.

Apparently DCAs are now trying to get the Statute of Limitations changed to six years after the Default date and have the default date moved every time the debt is passed onto collections teams or sold... totally defeats the object of the Statute of Limitations!

in a bid to clear up my credit file ive recently emailed Hilsden to say my debt was SB and they replied that according to their records it isnt and that "Due to your recent contact I confirm the new date for ‘statute barred’ is now September 2016."

i.e they took my email to be acknowledgement of the debt !

Once it is statute-barred NOTHING can make it un-statute-barred.

A written acknowledgement CAN reset the clock , if not already statute-barred. I don't believe that emails can count as such although I may be wrong.

One thing I have learnt, both from these forums and from personal experience. There are no absolute truths as far as the law goes. The law can say one thing, but it seems that a contrary judge or lawyer can pretend it says something else. The main principle seems, for them, to be "what is legal is whatever they can get away with", and a good lawyer seems to be one who can bend the interpretation of the law to suit his own purposes, and who is able to convince others to accept that interpretation. So much of our social contract is based on smoke and mirrors.

contents of email was "I am writing to inform you that this so called "outstanding debt" is statute barred as it is over 6 years has passed since any payment was made to the account . Please see the attched screenshot of my credit file"

screenshot showed last payment was july 2004

Defaults are usually entered one month after the last payment or activity on the account in question, so it will be a safe bet that 6 years (5 in Scotland) from the default date the debt will be SB, any activity on the account, either by payment or acknowledgement that the account is in fact owed blah blah blah, resets the limitation period to zero and the time starts again. However once the limitation period has run it's course, nothing niet nadda can ever restart the clock.

I have just sent a statute barred letter to lowells re barclycard this afternoon, whats puzzling me is having checked my credit file with experian & equifax lowells are saying that my default date is 06/08. now I had the card in 2000, on experian it shows 36 months activity but nothing showing on equifax. Now I cant say exactly when I defaulted but took out a capital one card in 2007 to repair my credit rating so it was way before then I think probably around 2003/2004. strangely no mention of this debt on either file from barclaycard only lowells. how do i find out when the last payment was made?

Hi,

Sending a Subject Access Request to the Origional Creditor should let you know the score regarding payments made on the account.