Problems with my landlord.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, I am sorry because my English is not very good. I'll try to be clear and not too boring because my story is a bit long:

I am French, I moved to Edinburgh in July with a friend today who no live with me.For housing, we have sought and found on the website Gumtree. The announce said it was costing £ 270 per month with a deposit of £ 270 and a couple could live there. At this point, the landlord told us that the price had increased, it was 390 and £ 310 deposit because we were two. We accepted because we had no other place to go.

The contract was written on a single sheet of scratch paper, there was no inventory. This is a roommate of three rooms, there were already two boys in the flat. The apartment is in poor condition (walls and floor are damaged, we have had no hot water faucet for two months, but just in the shower).

We paid the deposit and rent in cash because the landlord said he had a problem with his bank and he could not receive the transfer.

The landlord to the keys, and he comes regularly (at least twice a week) without notice to inspect the apartment. The last time was yesterday in around 21H. It checks each time the common parts, and allows for reflections on a dish or ashtray to do that is not empty (we have the right to smoke on the balcony).

This is very humiliating and I have the terrible feeling of not having privacy and intimacy.

Since one week, the washing machine is broken, another had to happen today, but it will not be there, he gave no reason, it does happen can be in the week.

I talked things over with the landlord by e-mail, because I did not find it normal. I may have been a little dry because I do not feel well, but I've never been offensive. I also kept a copy of all emails.

Last night he came into my room without my permission and without knocking to enter, so I was not really dressed. When I asked him (repeatedly) to come out saying that I did not talk to him yet and I was busy, it was too late, he refused. So I pushed out of my room and I closed the door. There is a witness of this scene, one of two boys, even if it departed last night in his country

I will like to know if he was entitled to do all this. And for advice because I'm really scared now and I do not feel safe. What can I do?

I hope I have managed to make me understand, and this is a summary of things he did and that bothered me. I really hope a reply from someone.

Thanks very much.

Mäsha

I have news, yesterday he came here, he searched on the kitchen on the cupboards and fridge. He went on the balcony and my cigarettes have disappeared. Some things have been displaced, nothing important, tableware and some things on the bathroom... I scared so i stay and my room without to be noisy... If someone have an idea for to stop this please tell me...

Your landlord 'must' give at least 24 hours notice that he requires access except in an emergency.

If the quality and cleanliness of the flat is not all it should be Masha, take photographs of all areas of the flat and if you can, include a newspaper in the photo as proof of the date the photo was taken. You might need this if there is a dispute over the deposit being returned when you leave.

Thanks Conniff. But I said this by email at my landlord and he answer me no... he dont want to notice before, he said (i quote) :

"Masha i don't need permission from you to come to my flat you are only renting a room"... So i dont know really how do you do... every other day he came...

Any mail that comes through your letterbox addressed to someone who does not live there should have "not known at this address" written on the envelope and be put back in the Royal Mail box.

Can you type here 'exactly' what your tenancy agreement says please Masha, no names and address though.

13-07-10

Name of my friend ans his number of passport

My name and my number of my passport

(Name) will pay the rent from 7th July a total rent 390£ pcm - deposit, 310£-. This is to confirm that Mr..... and MRS..... was moved to the property (adress) and will stay there for 6 months. They will pay there deposit and rent month advance tomorrow at 14-07-10, 16:00 pm. If the house in the same condition by the time they leave they will get there deposit.

Signatures.

I have write exactly my contract... it is write at the hand and on the very dirty and i havent inventory...

And thanks Conniff for advices for the mails, i will do this tomorrow.

Do you intend or are you likely to want to extend your tenancy when the six months are complete ?

I will say again that he 'must' give 24 hours notice to be able to visit but he still has no right to just enter at will. If he is doing this on a daily basis then he could be guilty of harrassment and if he is doing it at awkward times of the day in the hope that he will catch you in your undies or having just got out of the shower, then he could be guilty of sexual harrassment.

You can put a bolt or chain on the door which will force him to knock for entry

Masha, I take it you do not have a lock on your room door, just most flats that I've been in working in Edinburgh have a lock on the seperate bedroom doors.

What area of Edinburgh is it in.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Masha

I don't know if you want to try this, buy a cheap infra red alarm, free standing thats activated by movement. When you go out, switch it on. If anyone comes in when your not there, it will activate and make enough sound to scare who ever calls including the landlord. It has to be something that only you can switch off.

If it's the landlord, it should scare him off.

Also maybe get a Personal Alarm.

If you feel more comfortable telling him, then thats o.k., that will reinforce in the landlords mind that you know someone is entering the rooms and that you are aware of it.

I think its a really goog idea rebel11, I try to do this on the next weeks... but at your advice, i tell at my landlord or no? I think its better its not very nice if I dont tell, but I'm not sure...

^^ I dont know if I want to continue after... this flat is in very bad condition. If i can to move i will do this I think.

All the more reason to get as many photographs of the flat in it's present condition, so you can protect your deposit should he decide not to return it when you leave.

P.S. Nothing wrong with your English, I have seen a lot worse from English people. :)

Difficult one this.

Are you stating he is coming into your room itself? Not just the communal area?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi Masha

I don't know if you want to try this, buy a cheap infra red alarm, free standing thats activated by movement. When you go out, switch it on. If anyone comes in when your not there, it will activate and make enough sound to scare who ever calls including the landlord. It has to be something that only you can switch off.

If it's the landlord, it should scare him off.

Also maybe get a Personal Alarm.

Try these for personal alarm,i friend of mine got theses and they wake the dead lol

http://www.healthylivingdirect.com/en/housewaresdirect/household-solutions/key-pad-alarm.aspx

http://www.healthylivingdirect.com/en/housewaresdirect/household-solutions/motion-sensor-alarm.aspx

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

All sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Masha, first of all i am terribly sorry that you have to suffer such ordeal. If you ask me it is illegal for him to enter your room or the house itselft withouth the 24hr notice. However I'm very concerned for your safety (him walking in to your bedroom uninvited and you being undressed and him refusing to leve) that's WRONG! I'd suggest you (as some other forum members) to get a personal alarm as well as perhaps install some locks on your bedroom door. Also keep a small diary of all the incidents and dates, just in case you'd want to sue (which probably you should).

Keep safe dear xxx