Do lettng agents/landlords check you are on housing benefit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I may have to move home and am worried that landlords will not accept housing benefit. I am told that if you cant rent privately then you go on a waiting list which may take years and in the meantime they will put you into a B&B. This would mean losing all my furniture, my dog and everything!

Do many landlords accept DSS nowadays? Do I HAVE TO DISCLOSE it? I know alot of lettings agents run Maras reference checks (and if they did I do have TWO Guarantors) but would me being on HB be a no no?

Any advice please?

Very upset and stressed

Thanks

The problem here is that "buy-to-let" Landlords mortgage protection insurance has the "no dss" clause. They will check because otherwise the insurance will be void. Although many b-t-l landlords use a letting agent, it's still the same. In my area it has become easier for benefits claimants to get private sector tenancies, but I put this down to owners who have paid off their mortgages but moving elsewhere (due to their job) choosing to hang on to the old house in the hope that property prices recover again, therefore they are competing to get a tenant, it also helps the LL pay for their second property.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.