• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What annoys you about railway companies?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having hijacked too many threads to moan about train companies, I thought I ought to start a separate thread where folk can tell what annoyed them about the train company they use.

This is supposed to be a consumer pressure site, and we seem to spend a lot of time 'advising' people who for various reasons are being prosecuted by railways for them not being 'good customers'.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters, my local train operator has 'quiet carriages'. I know they are quiet carriages, because every five minutes, the peace is shattered by a mechanical (and very condescending) voice that says 'coach A ia a quiet carriage. Do not play music or use electronic devices that may annoy people.' (or words to that effect)

Just how stupid is that? The train company does the very thing that it tells the passengers not to do.

A head above the parapet! Well done.

My local station used to have a 'night turn' who was there to see all us 'early birds' safely onto our first train of the day. He also did the station cleaning, so that there were no puddles of pee and vomit when the first morning passengers arrived, or piles of discarded tickets strewn around the place. Most mornings, the station looks like there was an explosion in the ticket box.

But the night turns all went shortly after 'privitisation'. Cleaning is now done after the contract cleaner can get to the station from somewhere east of Suez.

For starters, my local train operator has 'quiet carriages'. I know they are quiet carriages, because every five minutes, the peace is shattered by a mechanical (and very condescending) voice that says 'coach A ia a quiet carriage. Do not play music or use electronic devices that may annoy people.' (or words to that effect)

Just how stupid is that? The train company does the very thing that it tells the passengers not to do.

Ha..Sounds like you are on the C2C line, whilst I can understand C2C's introduction of quiet carriages, the continual voice telling you its a qiuet carriage is rather amusing, although the other carriages hear it too, it also has no legal backing so in reality people can and do get on and make a racket anyway.

On a more serious note, the most annoying things prob are:-

1. The cost (a trip to Europe will make you see that many countries run cheaper far more efficient services).

2. The speed, although many of the new trains are very fast, my journey time to London is about the same time as about 100 years ago (this isn't the fault of the TOC's, its down to the actual lines themselves, plus adding new stations can only make journeys longer).

3. Ticket Inspectors, fair enough they have a job to do, but I'm sure many of us have had the pleasure of dealing with patronising, unhelpful staff, many of us who commute daily will no doubt make a mistake at some point but its rather dissapointing to be dealt with like a criminal when you make such a mistake, especially bearing in mind you may have spent many tens of thousands of pounds over the years on tickets.

4. Delays. Whilst my local service (C2C) is the most punctial and reliable in the UK, when things go wrong it often falls apart, there have been occasions when I have been stuck on a train for hours with occasional comments from the driver such as 'eerr..I dont know whats going on', in fairness though, after some major cockups, C2C are well aware of these criticisms and promise new procedure and better trained stuff, the problem is, when the next dealy comes along, it all falls apart and the staff often run off and hide.

Andy

Not sure about 'no legal backing' for quiet carriages. There are byelaws which cover 'annoyance', I think if a passenger stated 'Andy is annoying me by playing with his computer, it makes an irritating noise', then one or other of the paragraphs in Byelaw 6 would cover it. It would rely on some evidence of annoyance.

If I were defending such an accusation, I would probably say 'but it was quieter than the automatice announcements of it being a quiet carriage'!

What's C2C? :???:

Anyway, what annoys me about railway companies, from a different perspective:

They treat their staff like crap, pay peanuts, as a consequence have a huge staff turnover, which means that they're always short of staff, and that of course ends up with the customer at the receiving end of that. Oh yes, and you do have to wonder about what the union reps are being paid for, because they seem to have a timeshare in 2 braincells between them.

They try to change contracts of employment terms and enforce them by custom, and do not like it when confronted with, but will do anything to avoid resolving the situation or work WITH the staff instead of against. Their attitude towards the staff is 19th century style, and you can tell they really miss them good old days, where they had life and death power over their employees! :rolleyes:

I could go on and on. This is just to remind everyone that when you get a surly employee, more often that not, it's because he has a crap employer. ;-)

Cost for me! I travel from Isle of Wight to Midlands regularly with my 2 sons (6 & 16 years old) on a family rail card. It costs around £130 return. If I go in the car it works out about £20 cheaper (inc car ferry) so where is the incentive to get me onto public transport? And what's happend to the so called 'advanced tickets'? I look at least a month before travelling and they are never available!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

They treat their staff like crap, pay peanuts, as a consequence have a huge staff turnover, which means that they're always short of staff, and that of course ends up with the customer at the receiving end of that. Oh yes, and you do have to wonder about what the union reps are being paid for, because they seem to have a timeshare in 2 braincells between them.

They try to change contracts of employment terms and enforce them by custom, and do not like it when confronted with, but will do anything to avoid resolving the situation or work WITH the staff instead of against. Their attitude towards the staff is 19th century style, and you can tell they really miss them good old days, where they had life and death power over their employees! :rolleyes:

I could go on and on. This is just to remind everyone that when you get a surly employee, more often that not, it's because he has a crap employer. ;-)

You may be right, personally I cant think of many worse jobs to have, especially if its a customer facing role, having said that there are a few familiar faces of staff that have stuck with the job for a while and are helpful.

Another 'moan' is that staff at the barriers seem to have been replaced fromn helpful train company staff to glorified bouncers who have zero knowledge of the train company or the ticketing system, I once had a run in with an ape who refused to let me leave telling me my ticket was invalid, I had to walk round to the other gate where a proper staff member let me out, I then heard him over the radio telling the 'ape' that I was correct, so I walked back round expecting some apology but he refused to recognise me and just blanked me..very helpful.

Andy

Cost for me! I travel from Isle of Wight to Midlands regularly with my 2 sons (6 & 16 years old) on a family rail card. It costs around £130 return. If I go in the car it works out about £20 cheaper (inc car ferry) so where is the incentive to get me onto public transport? And what's happend to the so called 'advanced tickets'? I look at least a month before travelling and they are never available!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Yep SS quite agree with you, me and hubby went to Blackpool over the weekend and the rail costs including the cat and underground connections cost almost twice as much as our hotel room 3 nights half board

You may be right, personally I cant think of many worse jobs to have
Good pension, GREAT travel perks, and little or no qualifications needed. In this day and age, sadly, that has its advantages. We went to Paris a couple of weeks, Eurostar 1st class, return for 2 = £152.

Without wanting to sound too much like a jobsworth here, I disagree with the point above (as a whole at least!), in that from my experience the Rail industry pays very well when you look at comparable jobs in other industries, particularly retail! For example, a train driver earns between £30,000 and £45,000pa depebding on location and company, a standard, non-commercial (doesn't sell tickets) Train Guard or Conductor can earn up to £27,000pa, again depending on location etc. A commercial Guard or Conductor can earn around £30,000pa, plus often get commission on top of that, too! A Revenue Protection Assistant often earns around £10 an hour, and an Inspector, although few and far between now, from what I've heard, get around £28,000pa (give or take...).

Yes, there's the other end of the scale, where you have staff that aren't paid as much, but even Platform Staff get paid what you'd expect on an entry level job in any company, which equates to around £7.50 an hour (more than working in a supermarket!), and Gateline Assistants get around £6.00 an hour, which, again is above minimum wage. Obviously the salaries would differ depending on location, as i said, for example, in the Highlands of Scotland, you'd probably be paid less than in Central London!

Also, staff turnover, from experience, is far less than in any other industry I've been in! I mean, I've known people who have work on the railway for 45-years or so, and that's not just the odd one or two, there are loads about! Where ever you go you'll have those that are never happy with the terms and conditions and pay etc etc etc, and I agree that you should sqeeze all you can out of a company, but the way I look at it is, I get paid quite well and if I compare my role and salary with a comparable role (I use that of a PCSO), I quickly find that I earn around £10,000pa more than a home office force PCSO, and have a good pension to boot.

You'll hear alot of Train Drivers whinging about their T&Cs etc, but for £40,000pa?

My husband has been in the company for 10 yrs this December and is on £16k pa gross. :rolleyes: And in a supermarket, he wouldn't be responsible for the safety of thousands of people with all the strain it entails.

As for staff turnover, we'll have to disagree, put it this way, with his 10 yrs with them, he is now one of the longest running employees where he is stationed. :-( What you say may have been true when it was BR, but since privatisation and parcelling off to highest bidders, I'm afraid that is definitely the case where we are.

My husband has been in the company for 10 yrs this December and is on £16k pa gross. :rolleyes: And in a supermarket, he wouldn't be responsible for the safety of thousands of people with all the strain it entails.

As for staff turnover, we'll have to disagree, put it this way, with his 10 yrs with them, he is now one of the longest running employees where he is stationed. :-( What you say may have been true when it was BR, but since privatisation and parcelling off to highest bidders, I'm afraid that is definitely the case where we are.

You're not in the Highlands of Scotland are you? ;)

£16,000? From what you say, it sounds like he is a Train Guard or something, and that's definitely the lowest paid I've seen! Now, I might have tomatoes etc thrown at me for what I'm about to say, but oh well. I actually prefer it now to what it was like as a Nationalised service, and I'll give examples as to why, too;

• Newer, cleaner trains
  • Staff as a whole are more politre, better mannered and better trained
  • Better pay and conditions....though it seems there are exceptions

It seems now that there's less of a "couldn't care less" attitude from staff and TOCs as a whole, maybe I'm wrong? Also, if for argument's sake the railway in its entirity was re-nationalised, everybody would soon be whinging about how it's terrible and the coalition Government is ruining the contry, as they would if the Country was Labour run, Lib-Dem run or Green Party run.

Sorry for going slightly off topic here!

No, he's platform staff and based at East Croydon, one of the busiest stations in the country (I believe, but don't quote me on this, that Clapham Junction is the busiest!), just as well he gets free travel really, otherwise it probably wouldn't be worth him staying in the job!

And I am definitely going to disagree about the privatisation, where their only interest is profit, and that means cutting corners at every angle. The horror stories I hear!.... :-(

Anyway, as you say, we're going OT, but I just wanted to present the angle from the inside looking out so to speak.

No, he's platform staff and based at East Croydon, one of the busiest stations in the country (I believe, but don't quote me on this, that Clapham Junction is the busiest!), just as well he gets free travel really, otherwise it probably wouldn't be worth him staying in the job!

And I am definitely going to disagree about the privatisation, where their only interest is profit, and that means cutting corners at every angle. The horror stories I hear!.... :-(

Anyway, as you say, we're going OT, but I just wanted to present the angle from the inside looking out so to speak.

I believe Platform Staff was one of the exceptions I made? Although the hourly rate equates to about £7 I believe, which is more than Tesco pay. I take your point though, in that he has more responsibility than your average Tesco worker. Unfortunately Platform Staff are paid about the same everywhere bar London Underground, where, apparently they get around £25,000pa? It seems that nigh on ALL other jobs on the Railway bar Gate Staff (not Revenue), pay more than on the Platform, which I do find rather strange.

You say you disagree about Privatisation, presumable you agreed with the points I raised for it?

In a bid to get on-topic again, what bugs me as a Staff member, let along a passenger, is when the company don't communicate with passengers at times of severe disruption! And then, the occassional staff member gets aresy when a disgruntles punter starts gettingt stroppy!

Lively debate! Nothing too far 'off track' here, although I don't think they pay anything like as much in Essex.

A lot of the staff that I see are not actually employed by the TOC, minimal pay, no career prospects, and no free travel.

Qoute from Stigy: 'In a bid to get on-topic again, what bugs me as a Staff member, let along a passenger, is when the company don't communicate with passengers at times of severe disruption! And then, the occassional staff member gets aresy when a disgruntles punter starts gettingt stroppy! '

Andy earlier mentioned disruption. The automatic train announcing system on our route just keeps going with whatever the next train should be announced as 57 minutes late. Apparently, 'the voice' is difficult to turn off.

C2C is my local train company running from Shoeburyness (Essex) to Fenchurch Street (London), it has quite a long history, it was previously known as LTS (or unofficial 'The Misery Line'), however since rail franchising came in it has been a bit of a success story, it is now the most punctial and has modern air-con trains, which are only let down my 'gremiln's, ie. automatic toilet doors goe bonkers, the electronic system sometimes forgets where it is and annouces (as happened to me the other day upon approaching london), "we are now approaching Thorpe Bay, this train is running 67 minutes late", it was on time.

On the other side of the coin is an almost identical line running from Southend to Liverpool Street (London) run by NXEA (National Express East Anglia), this uses the rather old crappy train, manual; doors, no air-con and often is delayed, due to the bizzare history of the two lines costs quite a bit more than the C2C line for an identical journey, it was due to lose its franchise but I see that the Con-Dems have allowed it to keep it.

Andy

What do I hate? a so called "privatised" industry that the government try and run by stealth! if its private let the TOCs run it themselves!

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

Here's a good one! My son is 16 nad is staying on at school (6th form). He usually travels to and from school by train (as its cheaper than the bus) using a weekly ticket costing £6.40 which is half fare. Now he is 16, he now has to pay full fare so I've looked into the '16-25 young person's railcard' which costs £26 per year. This shaves a third of the normal fare (like the family railcard). But here's the best bit; to qualify my son has to be in full time education (which he is) but the card cannot be used before 10am! Can someone explain what use that is to someone traveling to school who has to be in full time education to qualify? :???:

Please Note

because the 16-25 railcard is a leisure product, season tickets are for people travelling to and from work/school!

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

because the 16-25 railcard is a leisure product, season tickets are for people travelling to and from work/school!

I didn't know that it is a 'leisure product', and it still dosn't explain why he needs to be in full time education to qualify which seems strange as Its hardly much use to him if he can't use it before 10.00am and it costs £26 per year. His season ticket now costs double what he was paying which is now £12.80 per week so is there a student card he can obtain? There is one which is valid on the buses so it looks like he will be taking his custom to them in future which is a pity.

Please Note

also, a 16-25 railcard can be used before 1000 but there is a minimum fare of £12.00, it is mainly aimed at leisure use (i.e. going home to see mum at the weekends), lets not forget that season tickets are discounted tickets!