Coninuous payment authorisarion and Prepaid credit cards

Medric

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having read a few posts about not being able to easily cancel continuous payments taken from credit cards by unscrupulous companies I wondered if a prepaid card would be a solution to this. I beleive that it is not possible to set up continuous payments on these cards and even if a company did then as long as there was not sufficient funds in the account at the time of the repeat payment then they would not get any money from you.

It may cost a small fee to maintain one of these cards (fees do vary) but it seems a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I am eager for your views on this and to hear of any pitfalls in this idea.

Medric,

Not sure where you get the idea you can't set up a continuous payment on a pre-paid credit card from. I have a pre-pay credit card and have a continuous payment set up on it - and I have a payment system set up on my bank account so I can easily transfer money from the bank to the credit card using my internet banking facility.

The card I have gives either the choice of £4:95/month charge or a 99p/transaction charge depending on whether you use the card regularly or occasionally and you can switch between the two once a month.

Oh, and the one I have gives full purchase protection that regular credit cards give!!

Feebee_71

I use the O2 Money card, which has no loading or monthy fees - you simply need to be an O2 customer. There ARE a number of restriction on where this card can be used. for example, it will be refused by Car Hire firms because they cannot shadow charge fund, they must take the money. However, a monthly debit taken regularly can be achieved - so you need to check how each debit card will operate, is isn;t enough to assume that because it is a debit card, recurring payments cannot be taken.

• Haha 1

Thank you for your replies.

I am mistaken in my assumption that continuous payments cannot be set up on the card. So if a company was to try and take a continuous payment and you had inadvertently failed to put enough money on the card what would happen? Would you incur a penalty charge from the card company?

I have an Escape prepaid card and ive just read the fees info and if you have a payment set up and insufficient funds they wont pay it out and you will be charged £5

HTH

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs