Holiday Disaster

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

A Few months ago my girlfriend at the time booked a holiday in her name on my credit card. The company was supposed to verify this payment but didn`t. We have fell apart since then and the holiday is looming in 9 days. The tickets will go to her`s all the info too. All i have is the booking ref. Does anyone know what i can do to ensure i get my holiday or anything else that will at least get me a refund short of doing anything that`ll leave her open to a fraudulent use of my card charge

Thanx

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi there. Have you rung the company about this? I'd have thought that they should be able to locate your records through the booking reference.

I'm not sure what you mean about fraudulent use of your card, do you mean booking the holiday or using your card in the future?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

What i meant as fraudulent use of the card was, as i never authorised the payment. Ringing up the credit card company and telling them she`d booked it as a surprise without my consent but in good faith hoping there`s some way they could cancell the payment and refund my money. Yep i know its bending the truth some but at the moment it seems she could change the name on one of the tickets to her new guy and go on a £3500 holiday with her new fella at my expence.Not something that would make me too happy. Surely if i phone the holiday company they`ll just give me the data protection excuse and tell me nothing unless the fact it was paid for on my card would give me some rights there ?

thanx

Has she used the card just for the deposit or also for the balance? Also, how long ago was the payment/s taken?

I don't think it would be wise to go down the route of 'bending the truth' regarding not knowing about the payment - if you hadn't known about it then you should have raised it when it first appeared on your credit card bill - one of those responsibilities of the card holder is being vigilent about transactions you don't recognise.

If your name is no longer on the booking - if she is taking the new partner - then I doubt the holiday provider has any obligation to deal with you. If I were to use my dad's credit card to pay for something in my name doesn't mean he can then ring up and demand he get the benefit of what has been purchased just because it was paid for on his card.

I think possibly the only way forward for you is to write to her giving a set time frame for repayment of monies paid for the holiday using your credit card - these will be provable through your credit card statements - and, if not repaid during this time frame then you will take her to the small claims court for repayment of said monies. The possible problem with that course of action is that she could claim it was a gift from you or done with your full permission.

I honestly don't think this will be very easy for you to persue.

Feebee_71

Hi Did your relationship break down as a result of this unauthorised purchase or at least was the straw that broke the camels back? I agree with Feebee that you should be seeking money back from the ex. have you spoken to her about it and who is she taking?

Nope it broke down due to her bad taste in men :lol: had it not the use of the credit card wouldn`t of been a problem. i did know she`d used it but the holiday company dont know that, they didn`t phone to confirm like i think they are supposed to. I`m just looking for ways out incase she tries to either put him on the ticket or just tries to wreck the holiday by not giving me the ticket etc, but i wouldn`t want her to face any problems that would arise if i went down the " i didn`t authorise the payment" route. ideally i`d like to go on the holiday as its going to be the last time i see my baby daughter again no doubt. no help with that one tho. I`m not the dad biologicaly, we got together while she was pregnant and i`ve only been there for the both of them, supplied all the love caring and finances involved in bringing the child up and that entitles me to no rights as far as a a baby who i think of as my own and who thinks of me as dad is concerned. she has no money for me to get off her and even if she did i`m reluctant to take money that would ultimately be taking the food out of the baby`s mouth. i`m in a quandry. i need to find a way of guarenteeing i`ve got a holiday to go on or i get my money back without getting her in trouble and i need to do this without any help from her IMPOSSIBLE ?

Thanx

Alan... I fear that even if you went on the holiday that too would be a disaster. I don't see a way out of this problem that isn't going to cause you more cash and more heartache. She obviously hasn't got money to pay you back. She has bought the holiday so despite you actually paying for it she is in control.

Perhaps you should just call a halt to this, put it down to a very very bad experience and never let people use your credit card again because by lying to the CC company you will then be committing a fraud. makes your blood boil just as the child story makes your blood boil too.

My brother in law has a phrase for these type of girls...... looking for a meal ticket....!!!!!!!!

I`ve debated calling it a day but i`ve worked all year with the thought of this holiday keeping me going and if the worst comes to the worst we can always do our own thing, I`ve also considered the meal ticket thing but stupidly i find it hard to belive. We`ve been friends for five years two of those as a couple the girl i know wouldn`t do that especially to me, the only prob is the girl i know has changed into someone i dont in the space of six weeks, Guess i`ll just have to prepare for a holiday that might not be there when i get to the airport. I`ll let you know how it goes and thanx for your help

Alan,

A couple of the questions that may help matters........

Did she just pay the deposit or the whole thing using your credit card?

How long ago was the (first) payment made using your card?

I don't think you will be able to 'guarantee' that you get your holiday - she booked it in her name and had you as a named person on the booking but, as lead name, she can make changes to the booking so long as they are within the T's & C's of the company it's booked with. If the booking is still in your name - unlikely this close to departure date - then you could try asking the holiday company for a duplicate ticket. But do you really want to subject the little one to what could be a very uncomfortable atmosphere for all concerned by forcing your way into the holiday? Alternatively, if your name is no longer on the booking there is nothing to say the holiday company have to deal with you regardless of how it was paid.

You will also only be able to force a refund from the holiday company if the booking has only been made recently as you have a responsibility to query unknown transactions within a reasonable timeframe - I can't see that this will be easy if the deposit only was made using your card a number of months ago. Unless the full balance was made on your card I can't see that you can claim for the cost of the holiday.

I am not sure companies are required to ring the card holder to query payments being made against cards - especially if the transactions are made over the phone or online. If it were a payment instore using a chip & pin card then her having your card and using your pin can be seen as you having given your consent by letting her have the pin. This would also raise another issue with the card company as you couldn't claim no knowledge of the payment but accept you knowingly gave her your pin.

I really do think the only way you are going to get your money back now is by going after her personally - holiday companies aren't just going to give you the holiday because you say it (or part of it) was paid for using your card some months ago, they would want to know why it wasn't queried at the time.

This may not be what you want to hear but it's not likely to happen the way you want it to without any comeback on her.

Feebee_71

Personally I can't see how the booking can be made in any other person's name but the card holder's when paying by card. EXAMPLE: when booking train tickets on line, you need your card when collecting them. Have you checked this out with the holiday co? If not, why not contact them (as the card holder) and ask a few questions where you stand on this? At the end of the day, you should be able to prove that YOU paid for the holiday and as such it should be in your name. You need to check and if it isn't in your name, ask for some explainations.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

hi

Wondering how it went ?

The Sunday before we went i slipped, i repeat slipped wasn`t pushed :-). Down a flight of stairs behind some shops, I broke two ribs, punctured a lung, broke three bones in my hand and numerous other cuts and bruises so couldn`t go. the holiday was cancelled and i have made a claim on the holiday insurance. Guess fate stepped in where reason was lacking.:lol:

thanx everyone

yep its most certainly painful. Happened on the communal stairs from my ex`s flat. concrete,covered in some slippy black tar stuff specially in the wet. its not just the lack of grip they are steep dangerous stairs that many residents have complained about on numerous occasions, nothing has been done about it, nothing is done about anything by this company, last winter i had to cut the lock off the grit box to grit them myself as it was icy and the steps were even more lethal than usual. nobody else was going to do it

yep its most certainly painful. Happened on the communal stairs from my ex`s flat. concrete,covered in some slippy black tar stuff specially in the wet. its not just the lack of grip they are steep dangerous stairs that many residents have complained about on numerous occasions, nothing has been done about it, nothing is done about anything by this company, last winter i had to cut the lock off the grit box to grit them myself as it was icy and the steps were even more lethal than usual. nobody else was going to do it

I take it then you will be claiming compensation.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Which, as Sailor Sam has pointed out, was why I asked in the first place. You seem to have a quite a substantial Personal Injury claim there. I suggest you see a PI solicitor asap. Have you Legal Protection Insurance?

I`m on the case, I might have legal protection insurance, just got a new contract phone and i`m sure they were trying to ram that down my throat along with all the other things thay try and palm you off with, i`d switched off by that time, i`ll have to find out if i said yes or no to it. If i haven`t i can always go for one of those no win no fee things

• 5 months later...

The holiday that was never meant to be part 10

Paid for the majority of a holiday in Egypt for me, the girlfriend (now ex) and her baby with my credit card,

24 hours before i left i had an accident,

broke 3 bones in my hand,

two ribs

and punctured a lung

After getting all the relevant doc`s off the hospital and travel agents and sending them in to the holiday insurance company i get free with my bank account they have now confronted me with

"To enable us to consider the claim for the other two persons named on the claim form we will require evidence that Miss xxxxl is your partner, such as a copy of your council tax bill to confirm that you both reside at the same address"

I cant because we wasn`t living together.

Is this relevant ?

Then i get onto the credit card company seeing if i can get it back off the payment protection

they tell me no as the holiday was provided so its not included in the protection

HELP :mad2:

As it was a joint policy, they can only be joint with a partner and not just anyone.

They then have a definition of partner ie. someone you have lived with for at least eg 6 months.

If you never lived her then it should not have been a joint policy and your partner should have got there own insurance.

It wasn`t a joint policy it came as part of my bank account and as it was an extra i couldn`t say i`ve studied the details, My argument that i haven`t put to them yet goes like this

"Our relationship had decayed to the extent that she had found someone else so rather than waste the holiday i`d decided to go alone, the accident prevented this so i had to cancell and as i am the party who paid for the holiday my insurance should cover the cancellation fee". That turnes out to be the full cost of the holiday

Maybe i should move this to the insurance section ?

Is this an educated guess or something you know to be fact ? No offence intended

My reply to the insurance company is as follows

"My stance on this situation is as follows

As the person who paid for the entire holiday, most of witch can be proven by the credit card company and also as i am the person the holiday was cancelled because of, my insurance should cover the cancellation fee. This as the documentation proves is £3238

If you disagree with this can you please foreward me in hard copy the reason or reasons why along with the relevant sections of the policy as i am still paying this bill along interest and wish to contact the insurance ombudsman, my bank and if need be tv`s watchdog to solve my grievance as soon as possible.

Your thrift in this matter would be greatly appreciated"

This is part of a holiday insurance claim i am putting in and having problems with.

I paid for the holiday with my credit card but had to cancel due to an accident, My estranged girlfriend and i both have different insurance policies with the same firm. If the claim is successful will the money have to be paid into my credit card account as i`m hoping or will it be split between us

I ask this as if its the latter i wont see any of that half and i`d prefer the insurance company to keep it (Yes it was an acrimonious split)

I work in insurance complaints and have over ten years financial experience. But, sorry to sound rude this is pretty common knowledge.

You can only claim for your part of the holiday. To claim back the rest your ex partner would need to claim for her part.

The fact that you paid for the whole thing is irrelevant, that's between you and partner to sort out.

ok thanx

I`ve just done another post i`ll repeat it now incase you know the answer, As the money was paid using my card does it mean the money off the claim will have to be paid back into my credit card account or would my ex be free to keep it

sorry i missed an important bit, she is also insured through her bank account, its the same insurance company but there`s no way i`ll get any co operation from her