Tesco Shoplifting Offence Pressing Charges Against Them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

On August 5th 2010 My wife and I were caught shoplifting in Tesco stores. We had tried to take £80 worth of goods, such as food and other essentials. The only reason we done it is because we were struggling financially, and have 2 children. We resorted to doing anything to make sure our children were ok.

We were arrested and given a police caution and received a lifetime ban from the store. We decided not to tell our family because they had their own problems. However a select few members of Tesco staff have taken it amongst them selves to inform our family. Is this legal?

This action has come to our family wanting nothing more to do with us. Our landlord is my sister, and she has already issued us with a notice to quit because the situation. We are being forced out of our home, they never want to see us again, and its all because someone in tesco told my family.

My point really is: Can tesco tell people this? Is there some kind of Data Protection Law against this and if so, would we be able to press charges?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry to hear you are in trouble like this. Can't answer the Tesco matter. Although if you were arrested in a public manner it is difficult to stop people talking about what they have seen so I doubt it that you can do anything as you would have to prove that Tesco staff breached some sort of confidentiality matter.

What is concerning is the fact that your landlord (it is immaterial that the landlord is family) has given you notice to quit because of the shoplifting matter, unless there is something else you have not mentioned.... ?

Why are your family so angry that your problem with Tesco affects them?

Thanks for your response.

The only people that seen the arrest was 2 security guards and a member of HR. None of them knew who we where so we can only assume have been talking about it amongst staff. Are they allowed to be discussing this sort of information to people who it does not concern.

With regards to the family - I think they're just embarrassed by the situation, one of the reasons we choose discretion, and as i say other than the 3 people who needed to know in tesco, surely there is some sort of confidentiallity concern here?

Thanks

There are people who work in tesco who know the family. The only way they could have known we were arrested is if one of the 3 people told them or showed the footage to "name and shame"

Going away from the point - I know tesco released the information as my family told me it was from someone in Tesco. Can anything be done about it.

Yes, if you can find out the name of the person that informed your family of your incident. Obviously they will lose their job though. Another thing to think about is if it had gone to court, all details would have been public anyway. Right now I would worry more about your pending eviction.

I understand that, but it should have still remained my decision to inform them anyway. I have been giving 2 months notice to quit. We are currently in top priority with our Local housing sector, but to be honest we have been wanting to move for some time. This has just given us a "nudge".

If i am unable to find out the person, would Tesco be liable as a company for breach of confidentiality, and the security guards?

Oh, I've also got RLP asking me to repay £750!! :-x

I've read some of the posts regarding this company and most advice is to just ignore them. However my letter did state they would take financial hardship and illness into account.

I was declared bankrupt in march so this might go in my favour. I also take anti depressents, and strong pain killers such as tramadol and morphine on a regular basis. At the time i was under the care of my GP, Consultant, a councilor and was awaiting to see the mental health doctor.

Do you think I should reply to them with this information?

Thanks

I think you can safely ignore the RLP. The main issue here is proving that a particular staff member at Tesco spilled the beans to one of your family members. This could be difficult if you are not conversing with your family.

As you have two different issues, can I suggest that you open a seperate thread regarding your eviction notice in the Residential lettinsg thread unless of course you wanty the eviction to take place to get a council resdience? If the council have no available place for you, then they can site you in B & Bs splitting up the family. There are some caggers who are experienced in this field and would be able to offer you the correct advice regarding the pending eviction.

Oh, I've also got RLP asking me to repay £750!! :-x

I've read some of the posts regarding this company and most advice is to just ignore them. However my letter did state they would take financial hardship and illness into account.

I was declared bankrupt in march so this might go in my favour. I also take anti depressents, and strong pain killers such as tramadol and morphine on a regular basis. At the time i was under the care of my GP, Consultant, a councilor and was awaiting to see the mental health doctor.

Do you think I should reply to them with this information?

Thanks

OMG! did you inform the police of your condition? If so there's no way you should have been cautioned

I don't believe pursuing Tesco would do Compares4u any good whatsoever. The problems and stress that finding the evidence, then taking the matter to court (assuming he has the resources to do it, which he dosen't and I doubt legal aid would be appropriate) to then find that any damages would be minimal in any case would be too much for him, his family in his current state of health and social circumstances.

the fact that he admitted his guilt could be viewed that it is a matter of public concern in any case. I don't really see the connection between the arrest and the eviction, they seem to be too remote to each other.

I think you should put any thought of getting at Tesco behind you and concentrate on your other substantial problem the biggest of which is your impending homelessness. Caggers above have given you very good advice which I think you should action upon.

I really do feel sorry for you and your family finding yourselves in these circumstances but do not divert your efforts to the less important issues when the big ones are staring you in the face.

Hi and thank you for your posts.

MY friend (unsure now as he also has not spoken to me since) has just been promoted to management so i believe findingout where the leak came from wouldn't be too hard to find. Also I did plead guilty, and fully co-operated with the police and was willing to take any punishment they gave me as it was deserved. However it seems like Tesco were un-happy with just the caution and have taken it upon them selves to punish me further.

With regards to eviction, this is ok. We are top priority with our council for a house. In fact we have been informed of an upcoming house in the area we would like and that ouyr chances are very good. Should this fail we have other familymembers that would take us in until we could find accomodation.

Appreciate that this thread has not been updated for a week, but just something which jumps out straight away regarding the 'leaking' of information....

The OP has been banned from the store, therefore the names and possibly CCTV images would have to have been shared amongst staff in order for the ban to be enforced. There can be no breach of DPA as the information would have been shared in the interests of crime prevention. The fact that this information has then been passed outside of the establishment may be a relevant concern, but would make it harder to limit the source.

Unfortunately the RLP issue is now a matter of course for supermarkets.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!