• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Some solicitors using Split Claims -- how does one defend

jimbo45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there#

Judging by various HFO posts it seems that a new tactic is being employed here - a tactic also much favoured by the one and only (in)famous Bryan Carter

(He's Mutch mentioned in "despatches" on these Forums).

A threat of a CCJ for the arrears / part of a debt is issued.

The DCA or their Solicitors say but you also STILL owe YYYY. I can also provide for legitigation on that too so PAY UP or else.

Issuing a CCJ for only Part of the claim without specifying what else is owed seems to me a TOTAL ABUSE of the legal process and surely it's actually ILLEGAL as well.

If XXX says you owe me money then its up to XXXX to say HOW MUCH and FOR WHAT.

This seems a particularly insidious way of going about Debt recovery -- it really shows there IS NO BOTTOM to the depths these people will stoop to.

Any decent "complaint" templates on the site regarding this practice.

In defending a CCJ of this type should the "split" be mentioned to the Court as well in defence.

Cheers

jimbo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely though, if you know they have everything needed to go to court, after CCA'ing them etc, then a CCJ for a couple of hundred quid, and maybe a 5 grand debt being left completely unenforceable by law, since you cant split a debt and issue multiple CCJ's is a win situation?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there

They could possibly argue that CCJ nr ONE is for "Charges / Services" or whatever that means and CCJ nr TWO is for the actual money -- arguing that these are two separate debts and therfore should be treated as two separate entities.

The fact that the "Services" are associated with the first claim would appear not to matter a jot.

I DO hope that I am wrong on this one otherwise a whole slew of these types of claims will start emerging once these DCA's know they have another nice new shiny toy to play with.

Cheers

jimbo

I don't understand how they can make a split claim, as the bit they are using to make the claim, manifests itself from the original debt. So if the debt is not enforceable, then I cannot see how they can win by doing this.

What precedents/law are they using to gain judgements doing this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Need some more help on this one as a couple of people at least have this situation.

I have attempted to draft a complaint letter for the CAGgers today but need more information. Some feedback is that you can pay the smaller amount and avoid a CCJ/further action and another is that you can fight the claim as it is an abuse of process.

I will be back tomorrow and am happy to look at it again. I am not an expert but trying to pull together the good advice available on this site.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

yep those bryan carter threads hold the info you seek

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sadly no

but if you type in bryan carter in our advanced search

i'm sure there are posts/threads that include split claims and how to deal with them.

i'll look later if ness

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They cannot split the claim - it's unlawful.

See of Section 35 of the County Courts Act 1984 here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1984/cukpga_19840028_en_1

It's a well know trick of BC's. Usually they withdraw when you submit an AOS so your trick is to file a defence at the same time as the AOS but using separate envelopes. Then when he discontinues you can file for costs.

Alternatively you could pay part of the debt now & then when he comes for the rest, file for SO as an abuse of court process.

There is lots more info on BC in the debt forums - you are not alone!

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I have long regarded the splitting of claims as a potential winner.

BC has a habit of hitting initially with a small amount, ie enough to cover their own charges

they then at a later date try again for the balance of the debt, relying on the ignorance of the debtor and the inability of the courts to link accounts.

As foolishgirl states you then defend against the second claim as it is unlawful and destined to fail and put in a wasted costs order which is higher than the original CCJ, there are umpteen cases of this on these forums

the effective end result is that BC have removed a debt for you for a small percentage of its actual value and you have a potential windfall from the costs order and if you paid off the initial CCJ within 30 days it doesn't even show on your credit record,

Debt gone, no CCJ and maybe a nice night in/out courtesy of BC

We have 2, possibly more, posters who have received POCs with split claims from Turnbull Rutherford solicitors

They have been advised to Acknowledge on line (done) and then wait 14 days before filing a defence as TR/OC have been asked for further information.

It has been suggested that they write letters of complaint to the issuing court and the SRA, Ministry of Justice etc straight away – a suggested letter is below.

Is this the correct approach?

Do they then wait to see if the claim is discontinued or defend the claim?

Quote ‘Alternatively you could pay part of the debt now & then when he comes for the rest, file for SO as an abuse of court process’

If they wish to pay the smaller amount when is the best time to do this and how do they file for SO?:

Suggested letter is:

{Claim Reference}

{Particulars of Claim:}

With reference to this claim, I am concerned that there will be an unspecified balance left on the agreement should a CCJ be issued on it and understand that this is an abuse of the legal process. I request that this matter be investigated urgently and look forward to your prompt reply.

It is worth adding reference to Section 35 of the County Courts Act 1984?

Any input gratefully received

donate

All of the above would be an appropriate response.

don't wait for them to discontinue,

You would need to defend on the basis that they are attempting to bring a second claim on the same account.

thast they are splitting a claim

that you have no knowledge of the account stated as it is subject to a CCJ

Once your defence is in, they leave themselves open to the all important wasted costs order

Basically, you would need to let them have the first CCJ as long as it is for a low amount, then anything they do with regards to bringing the remaining balance to court would be unlawful.

The key here is to do what is right for you, if a CCJ is not a problem, then agree to pay the first CCJ in manageable amounts, then you would have a clear paper trail to produce before the courts if and when they attempt to bring a claim for the outstanding balance.

You have the option of paying off the initial CCJ within 30 days to avoid having the CCJ recorded, but in my opinion since the defaults will have effectively trashed the credit record in any way, this would be counter productive and would effectively remove the paper trail you would use to demonstrate to the court the unlawful actions of the dca

• Haha 1

Hi there

Worrying about CREDIT RECORDS is itself counter productive -- if you are being chased for debts or are defending CCJ's I DOUBT if you'd really be interested in getting credit again for a VERY long time if ever. Once they can't threaten you with "credit references" then thats another whole lot of stuff you DON'T have to bother with again.

The first thing to do is get the debt quashed --the fact that it doesn't show up in Credit records is irrelevant --it should always be in the COURT records if you need a paper trail.

I tend to agree with a pevious poster -- pay a minimum amount on the CCJ just to keep them fromhaving the money as long as possible and then you've effectively got the BIGGER part of the debt written off.

OK it might remain on your details --who cares - the main thing is to GET OUT OF DEBT and DONT TAKE ON ANY MORE CREDIT.

It's not impossible to live without Credit cards or borrowing money.

I'm always amazed on these Forums when people have got themselves in many thousands of pounds worth of debt that they are STILL worried about Credit Files -- forget them -- move on -- because - that part of your life is OVER.

Just get rid of the debt - and if the CCA is unenforceable tell the DCA to go and lump it.

Living without Credit IS possible and not too difficult either. Just needs a slightly different approach to what you've been used to before.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

Am getting the idea here thank you. Is the letter in post 12 ok as a letter of complaint? Should those in this situation be making this complaint on receiving the split claim POC or wait until they either defend or pay?

many thanks

donate

What Carter does in splitting claims is Unlawful by virtue of s35, so why is he allowed to do it?

If anyone has evidence that he is doing this, then I ask that this evidence be sent to the SRA. The more evidence they have that he does this (and any other unlawful behaviour by him) He should be struck off if he can't follow the law

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

I have evidence of Carter's claims shennaigans. A claim was issued for a small amount and judgement gained by default. At the bottom of the claim form Carter had written " we reserve the right to collect the remainder of the outstanding debt of £3,000). The debtor has paid the CCJ for the smaller amount - Carter then wrote to say he wanted payment of the balance and USED THE SAME JUDGEMENT NUMBER !! and now he has issued a warrant of execution for £150 when there is no balance left the pay on the judgement. He is attempting to get installments on the balance. N244 time I think?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there

Worrying about CREDIT RECORDS is itself counter productive -- if you are being chased for debts or are defending CCJ's I DOUBT if you'd really be interested in getting credit again for a VERY long time if ever. Once they can't threaten you with "credit references" then thats another whole lot of stuff you DON'T have to bother with again.

The first thing to do is get the debt quashed --the fact that it doesn't show up in Credit records is irrelevant --it should always be in the COURT records if you need a paper trail.

I tend to agree with a pevious poster -- pay a minimum amount on the CCJ just to keep them fromhaving the money as long as possible and then you've effectively got the BIGGER part of the debt written off.

OK it might remain on your details --who cares - the main thing is to GET OUT OF DEBT and DONT TAKE ON ANY MORE CREDIT.

It's not impossible to live without Credit cards or borrowing money.

I'm always amazed on these Forums when people have got themselves in many thousands of pounds worth of debt that they are STILL worried about Credit Files -- forget them -- move on -- because - that part of your life is OVER.

Just get rid of the debt - and if the CCA is unenforceable tell the DCA to go and lump it.

Living without Credit IS possible and not too difficult either. Just needs a slightly different approach to what you've been used to before.

Cheers

jimbo

Well said Jimbo. I'm hoping that Carter will behave this way on my Egg Credit card account that is currently with Fredericksons. I don't give two hoots about my credit record.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Good info all,

Just for clarity as Im in this situation, do I wait and pay the small amount and then fight them when they come knocking for the rest or do I send a split letter to the courts on the first claim.

Just a little confused and no expert.

TA

Hi there

Opinion seems divided on this one -- Basically you could risk having the whole debt blown out of court, or pay the small amount on which a CCJ is being prepared and then you will not have to pay the rest.

You will need to wait for the POC from Northampton before paying otherwise you'll be slapped with a new CCJ for the WHOLE amount -- which without the CCJ threat for the first piece you wont be able to defend on the ground that this claim is split.

It's a bit like a poker game here -- you pays your money and you takes your choice.

My gut feel is that if you have a reasonable certainty that all the paperwork is NOT in order then defend the entire claim but if you are slightly more risk averse and the "first" CCJ claim is only around 5% of the total then you could pay this as you've STILL got off 95% of the debt.

If you go down this route DONT PAY UNTIL A CCJ CLAIM IS SENT otherwise as I said you'll get a new CCJ for the rest and you wont be able to prove that its a split claim.

Don't waste time worrying about Credit records -- if you've got as far as being threatened with CCJ's then the best thing to do is forget about credit again -- THAT PART OF YOUR LIFE IS NOW OVER and its time TO MOVE ON.

Its not so bad living without credit once you've got out of debt and its another LESS thing to have to deal with.

But remember you need to be very careful in dealing with slippery snakes like Bryan Carter and their ilk.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45
  • Confused 1

Am bumping this again as we have another 2 HFO CAGers with split claims now.

Any advice on what action to take and particularly the Complaints letter suggested would be appreciated.

donate

You could ask for the thread to be moved to legal issues folder.

Community legal might be able to advise those concerned.

http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread