Reclaiming overpayed tax back.

angry678
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically i moved to England in september 2006 and started my job over here 3 days after i moved over, so i never have had any others jobs here so never paid tax before in England.

And from september 2006 untill now my taxcode as been BR CUMUL. I have no idea what that means but apperently that's not the right code for my salary (which is in the mid-20K's).

So i've been told i can claim that overpayed tax back (using my P60's it turns out to be just over £ 5.000,) and the quickest way is to do it online, so i go to the HMRC website to fill in the tax return claim form.

I've been given an ID code from the website, but i can't continue as i need a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), and i've read on a forum that it can take a couple of weeks to get that.

So i've waited a couple of weeks, and just rang them to see if they could give me this UTR over the phone perhaps and they tell me i can't do it online because i'm not self employed ?

Hi there. I'm sorry for being thick, but if you're self-employed, how did you get a tax code please? I also thought P60s were for PAYE people, but then I've never been self-employed. Or were you employed and now your not?

Who advised you to reclaim the tax?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi there. I'm sorry for being thick, but if you're self-employed, how did you get a tax code please? I also thought P60s were for PAYE people, but then I've never been self-employed. Or were you employed and now your not?

Who advised you to reclaim the tax?

HB

Sorry I'm getting confused now :-

'So i've waited a couple of weeks, and just rang them to see if they could give me this UTR over the phone perhaps and they tell me i can't do it online because i'm not self employed ? '

Am sorting out similar problem for someone and getting HMRC to tell them their UTR is like trying to get blood out of the proverbial.

Is their an easy way to reclaim overpaid tax without doing it online?