Moorcroft Doorstep Collector

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks

New here and just wanted to ask for some advice.

I recieved a card through the door from a Moorcroft Doorstep collector a few days ago stating that he would call tonight between 18:00 - 20:00, now as i understand things they cannot come round your property without an appointment? As this card states when he will be calling does this class as making an appointment ot does an appointment have to be agreed upon by myself??

Thanks.

If by some miracle they actually turn up, you are well within your rights to tell them to go away(politely or otherwise)

You do not have to talk to anyone and if they refuse to leave, call the police (not 999)

Mind you, they must be having a hard time. I see an advert for doorstep collectors in the sits vac every week. Don't think there's much money in it or people are far too nice to sink to the levels reqiured of a DCA

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Ok thanks, in the meantime i was going to send off the letter below, is there anything else i should do?

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that i have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Greenwoods Personal Credit.

I am familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise i will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Guest Cartaphilus

Never heard of Greenwoods Personal Credit but this would be the one with 434% interest? And given your letter you want to send them, is it actually your debt? There is also a letter that you can hand to them (in the unlikely event that the annoying little blue bottle from Moorcroft shows up, but it's your front door and this would be just another cold caller for example if they did turn up, I'd answer it keeping the door closed, if they wish to loiter around outside call the police as Silver suggested) or send them regarding a doorstep visit. Though, it seems you know what you are doing from the letter you have just posted.

Thanks, yeah it is the one with the horrendous APR, it is mine but i suspect it is statute barred but not entirely sure so would like to see if's enforceable first off, regarding the doorstep visit i believe there is a letter that you can give regarding trespass/harrassment etc but i cant seem to locate the template to print out, can someone paste the text in a reply so that i can print it off.

Thanks again.

When they say they will call - it's not always to the door, could be that they will telephone between those times. I found that out when I complained that nobody had bothered to call on me on the specified date and I had taken a day off work just to make sure I could crack out my best china and a new pack of choccie hobnobs. The guy at the DCA who answered my call just re-assured me that 'Mr White' would telephone on another day as he must have been busy. Shucks, I was looking forward to choosing a new doorstep if they had 'collected' the old one.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Quick update.

Well he did turn up friday evening, however i didnt bother answering the door and he soon went away, he then turned up unannounced last night and caught me unawares so i basically just told him politely to naff off.

Just waiting now to see if a response to my letter is forthcoming.

Hi there

if he DID attempt to come round just tell him to Foxtrot Oscar or "Shove it" -- Give him exactly 5 secs to leave your property or you are calling the Police with a view to filing a claim for BOTH AGGREVATED TRESPASS AND EXTORTION (demanding money without legal right to do so).

Either of these charges carry SUBSTANTIAL PRISON TERMS as well as an almost unlimited fine.

DCA's have NO RIGHTS to visit your property without an appointment -- which I assume you aren't likely to offer up.

Cheers

jimbo

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved a reply as below.

"re:greenwoods personal credit

we acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence with regards tothe above account.

please be assured that your account is now on hold whilst we investigate this matter further with our client and that we will communicate their response to you upon receipt."