Landlord / Tenant Financial Privacy -- Credit Union sharing information with my landlord

mr deltoid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello - I have a question:

My landlord has twice made reference to having received information about my account at the local credit union. There was a mix-up with housing benefit payments, we wound up in arrears, but the council have finally sorted it out and put money in out account. Today we got a text message from the landlord saying 'I know benefit payment has been paid into your account, contact XXX and get it transferred to my account.'

My landlord socializes with employees of this institution, and I would like to know if it is legal or illegal for our financial institution sharing information about when payments come in with my landlord. Can anybody offer any advice, links, statutes, please? Many thanks in advance for reading my story.

When you apply for housing benefit there is a sharing of infomation clause on the application form if you signed it this will be the reason

Sharing information with your landlord

Sometimes sharing information with your landlord helps us to deal with your claim quickly and

reduces the risk of you falling behind with your rent because of your claim being delayed. We

would only share information with your landlord if you:

Are a local authority tenant; or

Have agreed that your Housing Benefit can be paid directly to your landlord

But in either case, under the Data Protection Act we need your permission to share information. If

you gave us permission, we would be able to tell your landlord:

Whether or not you had claimed or renewed your claim for Housing Benefit and, if so, whether

we have made a decision on your claim or not; and

If we need further information to make a decision on your claim, and if so what information this

is.

There may be other information about your claim that we need to check with your landlord, such as

the date your tenancy started, before we can make a decision on your claim. If this is the case, we

have to ask your landlord even if you have not given us permission to discuss your claim with

them. But unless you have given us permission by signing this form, we will not discuss anything

else with your landlord.

We will not give your landlord any information about:

Your personal or household circumstances; or

Your financial circumstances

If you do not give us permission to discuss your claim with your landlord it will not affect your claim.

And if you give us permission but then change your mind, we will follow your wishes. Just contact

us and let us know.

If you want to give us permission to discuss your claim with your landlord, please sign below.