Help with UK defaults living within EU

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I hope someone can give me some good advice on my problems.

I have read through this forum and i hope that i have interpreted it correctly.

Everything was going well until i couldn't get work last year when i was back in the UK.

I have a 5709 pound defaulted egg card balance.

A 3400 pound defaulted Barclays career development loan.

A 336 pound defaulted Halifax master card.

A Halifax overdraft of 900 pound.

And to finish an 80 pound vehicle registration notice.

Up until about 16 months ago i was able to stay on top of things. However i couldn't find work in the UK and moved to another EU country with my wife from that country.

I found work but not the most well paid job so we get by but can't really save much. I have been able to keep paying about 60 pounds a month back to the UK which pays my overdraft fee and was able to pay my mastercard.

Anyway i couldn't of course afford the egg or career loan payments so i wrote letters and e-mails saying please can you freeze my account till i am back on my feet as i can not afford any of this.

Now of course they did not want to hear this so they demanded full payment or else!

Now i only get my mail sent out every 4-6 months or so by my parents and the last bundle had all of the default notices inside -yikes!

So what the hell do i do?

Calling these companies for me is expensive because they very often have only a 0845/0870 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0845/0870 end_of_the_skype_highlighting number and that kills me phoning from where i am located.

They never seem to answer to e-mails or letters??

If i could set up some sort of debt consolidation to pay everything back i could only afford a tiny amount and i would probably be dead before it was finished.

If i were to try and file for bankruptcy, isn't it very expensive and don't i have to go to court myself? (i honestly couldn't afford to travel).

If i were to grant power of attorney can i do that without being present?

I have no assets or business interests back in Britian or in my current country of stay.

I do not want to run away from this as my parents have already started to receive phone calls from the debt agencies and i don't want the balifs to show up at the door (my parents are both elderly and infirm and i don't want to cause them any undue stress).

Should i get my parents to return the mail to the collection agencies saying no longer at this address?

My original home is Scotland and i know the laws are slightly different than England so any help pertaining to this issue would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

C

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i did have a read through that but that is unfortunately for people who were living in England whereas i used to be resident in Scotland and would therefore fall under Scottish law.

I did read somewhere that it has been made easier in Scotland to go through with bankruptcy but i am still unclear on reputable advice.

I just need to figure out my next steps in this process.

Being out of the country lends itself to problems in dealing with this situation back in Britain.

Should i contact the debt collection agencies to tell them i am out of the country or should i first talk to a lawyer?

Any help greatly appreciated in this matter.

Thanks.

Have a look through this site http://www.aib.gov.uk/

and;

http://www.aib.gov.uk/MainNav/Services/Legislation/alternativestobankruptcy

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT