Advice on a faulty cooker still under warranty

theinquisitor666
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Ill try to sum this up quickly.

My mother had her kitchen replaced 14months ago & her cooker was replaced with a brand new electric unit. The guy who did the job was a reputable kitchen installer. Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago when the lower oven basically exploded. Im a qualified auto electrician & although this is a totally different kettle of fish (so to speak) it was obvious to me that the cooker element had ruptured for no apparent reason. This in turn caused her cookers main power fuse in her fuse box to blow. Anyway she checked her guarantee & found out it has a 5 year parts & labour warranty so she called the company & a week later the engineer came out & changed the Element. The builder who installed the kitchen has no blame in any of this. But this is the part that puzzled me. The engineer from the cooker manufacturer didn't check or replace the main fuse in her fuse box but said "sorry love. That's not my department". Then went on his way saying the cooker would be fine. 2 days ago i went over & replaced my mom's 30amp fuse & we tested the cooker out. It worked fine for 1 minute until we switched the lower over on & then it exploded with an almighty flash again. I opened the door & could see the new element had a hole in it just like the original. My argument is how could the engineer say the cooker was now fine without testing it. Ok if my mom had a trip board then i suppose it would be easy for the engineer to flick a switch. Surely this engineer would be qualified to replace a small piece of 30amp fuse wire ? Anyway - she called the company again & has to wait another week for an engineer to come out. Ive just looked through the guarantee & notice a small section saying "Products over one year old that are considered beyond repair or uneconomical to repair are not subject to exchange/refund or compensation". Although the company have not said the cooker is 'beyond economical repair' as yet. Im not confident in the appliance being safe if the element is changed again.

Do you think she would have any kind of right to insist on the cooker being replaced ? Even though it is 14 months old. They are happy enough to charge £400 to supply the appliance. I would expect a damn site more than 14 months for my money. She has been without a cooker for almost 3 weeks now & although she is youthful she is still in her mid 60's.

Any advice would be appreciated, so we can arm ourselves if the company quote the clause i found in their warranty.

Many thanks

Gary Birmingham.

you are covered under soga regardless of any warranty expiry clause or whatever.

as for a replacement, they are with their rights of soga to repair, they typically have 28days.

as for replacing the fuse wire

sadly no, his actions were correct, you like me would replace it, but, there are insurance & health & safeyt issues etc etc to bear-in-mind here .

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 9 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.