danpat

Ending a Periodic tenancy agreement - HELP!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3618 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I have been privately renting a property since 6th June 2008, when my shorthold tenancy agreement ended a periodic tenancy began.

After numerous issues regarding disrepair, being without hot water or heating for over 3 weeks etc my oven broke last week, I rang my landlord (who never answers the phone, he will let it go to answerphone and then TEXT back) who never even got back to me at all. After a week of trying to call and serving my 3 year old son microwave meals I decided that ot was the last straw and to give 4 weeks notice, however my Landlord is saying as I have given notice on the 9th and not the 6th I will be getting charged for Octobers rent as well. Is this correct??

Any help/advice would be gratefully recieved

Emma

Yes - you need to give a months notice, but that notice needs to end at the end of a rental period.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Oh ok thanks anyway. I thought it was 4 weeks, I know he's not obligated to but do you think its worth maybe discussing with him allowing me to leave earlier than that and yaking 4 weeks notice?

Absolutely its worth discussing with him - just be aware that he may say no, and if so then you will have little option but to accept.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!