jj7452

new job offer - income tax?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3617 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, wondered if anyone could help. I have been out of work for some time looking after my children but have just been offered a job as a personal carer :smile: which I am very pleased about. I will be working 4 days a week, 5 hours a day at £7.50 per hour. The person I am going to be working for has been given an entitlement each month to pay me and ensure tax and national insurance is paid.

What is the best way to do this, should I go self-employed and sort it out myself?

Do I just phone up the tax office and tell them the situation and they will point me in the right direction?

Will I have to pay much tax and national insurance on this amount?

Sorry to appear vague - and thanks in advance for any replies

Hello. Could you tell us how much you think you'll be earning in a year please? I can't remember if HMRC's website has a calculator for how much tax you might pay, or whether to be self-employed or not, but it's worth a look.

Please post back anyway and we'll try to help.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

sorry for the delay - £7800 gross

Hi there. I think it would help you to look at the HMRC website which has a tax calculator. Basically, anyone who earns over £6475 I think it is [my short term memory is terrible] pays tax. That figure would include any benefits or other forms of income that you receive which are taxable. I think NI starts at a similar level, also shown on the HMRC website

. I think you might be better contacting HMRC, unless anyone on the forum has any better ideas?

If you go self-employed, you will be responsible for declaring and paying your own NI and PAYE and it might be easier to let your employer do that unless you are confident that you understand the system.

My best, HB

Thank you for your advice i will contact HMRC on monday - my employer is disabled and he wants to just pay me the money and me sort it out so I will ask HMRC what to do. Thanks again

You're welcome. I hope you get some helpful anwers. Depending on what else you hear from fellow caggers, you could also speak to the CAB.

HB x

Hi. Ive done some work as an IT contractor and needed to sort out payment. The options are:-

1) Self Employed, you need to phone HMRC and register as self-employed and sort out paying your NI contributions directly to HMRC, I paid a flat rate of £2.40 a week, there may be other rates. You will then need to sort out the amount of tax you owe, either doing it yourself on line or by employing an accountant.

Rememeber though that it is quite a complex process. You can offset 'expenses' against tax so you should keep receipts for travel costs, tools, food, etc.

Also you may find that your new employer wont/cant pay you directly, he can only pay a Ltd. Company, this means you have to set up a company which isnt that hard but complicates things.

2) An easier option is to use an 'umbrella company', basically that take care of all the above for you, paying all your tax/NI, etc, a benefit is that you can use the 'expenses' above to reduce your tax burden, I've just used a company called Orange Genie, they were very helpful and its certainly easier than option no.1, they do of course charge you for their service but its about £27 a week which actually costs you about £16 a week after tax.

Andy