Penalty Fare problem IRCAS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

does anyone know of a way to contact IRCAS directly as I am fed up with trying to appeal against a penalty fare that I feel was wrong.

I got a train to chelmsford a while ago & as I live in zone 5/6 thought Oyster cards were valid on overground trains as in the news in January they said you can now use oyster cards on overground trains.

I dont get a train very often so I asked my local oyster shop if I put £8 on my oyster will this get me to chelmsford, he said yes.

I was surprised to find out that oysters are not valid at chelmsford & so after a long conversation was given my penalty fare notice.

I have appealed & been told that they find in favour of the penalty fare. I have since appealed again & now I am appealing to them again. I know they will come back with the same answer but they give you no number to contact them. To be honest I will pay the £20 fine if I have to but I will not pay the admin fee of £55

I only get JSA of £60 a week & live alone so does anybody have any bright ideas ??

many thanks

If they've rejected your appeal then you may just be better paying what they ask for as they may well just cancel the PF and prosecute you instead.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

the only reason that admin costs would be added is because you have failed to pay within the 21 day deadline, bear in mind that any time after the 21 days they can cancel the notice without warning.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

where you top up your oyster card, usually newsagents.

Therein lies your problem, would you ask the station ticket office staff what the best newspaper was?

Newsagents will say your oyster was valid to glasgow if it meant taking money from you.

The responsibilty to ensure you hold a valid ticket is yours & yours alone.

I know its not what you want to hear, sorry.

ok thanks, will speak to them nicely on Monday morning :-D

Your best option in my view it to put a letter in to them asking if you can have extra time to pay the demand.

As others have pointed out, they can cancel the unpaid notice and the TOC may issue a Summons any time after the initial 21 day appeal period or at any time after they have notified you of a rejected appeal

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but many thousands of successful prosecutions of this type pass through the Courts year in-year out so, I suggest you ask them nicely if they will allow you extra time rather than telling them what you will pay, otherwise you may not get the answer that you are looking for.

Your best option in my view is to put a letter in to them asking if you can have extra time to pay the demand.

As others have pointed out, they can cancel the unpaid notice and the TOC may issue a Summons any time after the initial 21 day appeal period or at any time after they have notified you of a rejected appeal

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but many thousands of successful prosecutions of this type pass through the Courts year in-year out so, I suggest you ask them nicely if they will allow you extra time rather than telling them what you will pay, otherwise you may not get the answer that you are looking for.

They may well allow you to pay in more than one installment if you ask them nicely, maybe 27.50 one week and the same the next?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

How are these people allowed to charge the admin fees without warning? And how are they allowed to only give you 21 days to appeal and then increase your fee without giving you any notice/reminder? This seems like an extortionate system designed only to make money for IRCAS. They seem to rely on people forgetting/not reading the fine print on the penalty receipt. Having been out of town I have now come back to a £90 fine for thinking I could use my oyster card at a station I had never been to in my life. I was going to appeal but then misplaced the receipt...then received a letter dated April 14th on the 28th - saying I had to pay within 14 days of the letter! Quite the joke. What a completely unfair, profitising way to deal with your customers, Southwestern!