9 year old Debt in Ireland and living in Spain

Sophiejane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone give me some info please. Ten years ago I moved to Spain. I had a credit card debt in Dublin with an Irish Bank which I stopped paying about 9 years ago. I have just received a phone call from a debt collection agency in the UK telling me that they are about to start proceedings for this debt. I don´t know which debt collection agency it is though. Can they do this after so long? I know there is a limit in UK law but am not sure about Irish law on this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I believe in most of Europe it is 3 years, in Scotland 5 years and other parts of UK 6 years.

I would take it that a 9 year old debt in Ireland would not be enforceable in court, either in Ireland or Spain, if you had not made any payments, not admitted to the debt or had received any court judgement against you.

But I am not an expert in regard to Ireland. You would need to consult a debt advisory line in Ireland.

http://www.debtadvice.ie/

I think that they are just trying it on, hoping that you would be ignorant enough to pay them. So I would just ignore.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread