• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Fast track - no explanation

Brynogwy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I have just lost a case as an executor to my late mothers estate, basically she started a dance club 15 years ago with her own money and had a personal account where she kept the surplus. When times were bad she put in even more money to keep the night going. Throughout the 15 years she paid tax on the interest of the account. Every Christmas she paid, out of the profits for a dinner and a cash gift for everyone who attended throughout the year. When she died the group took her estate to court for any money within the account.

On the day of the hearing it was confirmed to the judge that

1 There was no committee.

2 There were no officials.

3 The account was held in my mother’s name.

4 No other individual contributed to start up costs.

5 At no time did anyone contribute towards the account apart from the obvious entrance fee and raffle tickets they may have purchased.

6 When the account was in a loss situation it was my mother who not only covered it but put in more to buy raffle prizes.

Yet he awarded the total amount held in the account to them.

He has not offered any explanation as to why, can anyone suggest my next move?

Many thanks in anticipation

Hi Ganymede, thanks for the reply.

Having read a little more about the procedure on the web, i find that i may be able to challenge his verdict if he is wrong in a point of Law, as follows

"Decisions made by judges in higher courts are recorded, and judges on lower courts must use those decisions to help them make their own rulings in court cases."

However, if no explanation is given and (i am lead to believe there is no requirement to do so) no real evidence is required to make that decision, it seems a farce.

I'm just hoping that someone here may know a similar case with which i could mount an appeal.

Edited by Brynogwy
spelling

Hi Blondie40

Yes i can prove it from all weekly paperwork and the plaintiff's witness statement acknowledge and confirm she did.

I asked in my witness statements and all paperwork leading up to the hearing if anyone could provide me with any evidence showing that anyone at any time contributed to her account apart from entrance or raffle tickets, no one responded to my request.

many thanks for your interest.

In that case I would say you have good grounds for an appeal, as you can prove your Mother paid her own money into the account.

Did the other side claim the money in the account was received from other sources and proved evidence of that/those source/s?

No they made no claim or produced any evidence whatsoever.

Not clear on this but if they made no claim, how come a hearing was held? Something must have led to a case being heard in court.

Also a solicitor would have handle your Mother's estate. Did they act for her estate at the hearing? Did they give you any advice?

If they offered no evidence whatsoever, I find it hard to believe the Judge found in their favour.

Sorry, they made no claim the money came from anywhere other than from my mother. No solicitor handled the case it was me they took to court as i was the executor.

Their only claim (unsubstantiated) was that my mother acted as the treasurer for the group, they also stated that without them she would not have been able to continue as they sold raffle tickets, collected the door money and called the bingo. For this my mother provided a Christmas gift over and above what she gave to anyone else, the ridiculous part was that the group made a collection (not from club funds) to purchase a gift for my mother as a "thank you" for all the work she did.

Sounds like a tricky one.

I take it the other members of the club were friends of your Mother. Judge may have taken the view that the money paid into the account by your Mother was a gift.

Sorry, they made no claim the money came from anywhere other than from my mother. No solicitor handled the case it was me they took to court as i was the executor.

Their only claim (unsubstantiated) was that my mother acted as the treasurer for the group, they also stated that without them she would not have been able to continue as they sold raffle tickets, collected the door money and called the bingo. For this my mother provided a Christmas gift over and above what she gave to anyone else, the ridiculous part was that the group made a collection (not from club funds) to purchase a gift for my mother as a "thank you" for all the work she did.

However not sure on why you have said "…they made no claim the money came from anywhere other than from my mother."

Then say "Their only claim (unsubstantiated) was that my mother acted as the treasurer for the group, they also stated that without them she would not have been able to continue as they sold raffle tickets, collected the door money and called the bingo."

I am a bit confused by that statement.

Edited by Blondie40

Yes they were all friends.

Does that make a difference in law?

I am a bit confused by that statement."

which part?

They firmly acknowledge that the money used to start up the evening came from my mother.

Yes they were all friends.

Does that make a difference in law?

It would in effect be a mutual agreement between friends - which IMO would mean that the members of the group would hold a common share. If your mother offered to put up the money to start the group I don't see how that would give her (or her heirs) any prior claim on it. The only entitlement you would probably have would be to your mother's share.

I am a bit confused by that statement."

which part?

They firmly acknowledge that the money used to start up the evening came from my mother.

Sorry, understand now. You mother put up the money to start the evening and then the other members raised money for the group by selling raffle tickets, collecting door money and calling the bingo.

Their contribution was their time, your mother's was financial.

I would guess that your mother got a lot of enjoyment out of the club - as it ran for 15 years - perhaps that was more important to your mother than the money she put into it.

It could well be that the amount involved is substantial, which of course would be upsetting for yourself.

Have you contacted the court to see why the Judge made such a decision?

Hi Blondie and thanks for your input on this matter.

Apart from the money my mother worked as MC throughout the night and sold tickets or called the bingo if others were not available. There is no doubt that these others "helped" make the night successful but they were bought gifts as an acknowledgement of this.

As my mother paid tax on the interest of this account would that not have any bearing?

I have written to the court but i am still awaiting a reply, but in all honesty i think the judge will just ignore it as he was an obnoxious, self opinionated individual who even failed to introduce himself.

again many thanks for your time.

Forgot this bit

"It could well be that the amount involved is substantial, which of course would be upsetting for yourself."

My father, who is the heir to her estate also contributed his time and spent hundreds of pounds on fuel collecting raffle prizes over the years, but even though the judge was presented with every annual profit and loss statement for the 15 years which showed quite clearly that no money was ever taken out in expenses, when i asked if he would be allowed to claim this, he refused.

Edited by Brynogwy

Sounds like you lost out on the District Judge lottery with this one.

I get the impression at times that a judge will make a judgment based, not on the evidence presented in court, but on whether they feel the case should have been brought before the court. The Judge may have felt it was a matter that should have been settled between parties without using the court's (valuable in Judge's view) time. In your case as you defended this action the Judge probably felt you were wasting the court's time. It could be as simple as that.

However if you feel the Judgment was unfair then you should considered an appeal - perhaps you should seek legal advice from a solicitor on where you actually stand within the law. Something like this is a very grey area.

One point I do understand is the Judge not allowing your father to claim the fuel expenses incurred over the 15 years. If your father had wanted to claim these expenses he should have done so at the time, as you have said the group had annual profit and loss statements for those 15 years he could easily have requested some help towards his expenses during that period but chose not to do so.

Sorry I'm not able to be more helpful, but this is quite a tricky one.

My father did not make a claim because he knew it was my mothers (their) money, not as the judge said, belongs to the group.

ps Doesn't the fact she paid tax on the interest make any difference?

Thanks again for your help though.

ps Doesn't the fact she paid tax on the interest make any difference?

No, because the court decided the money belongs to the group and therefore would have over the 15 years, the group paid the tax on the interest.

You have too look at it this way.

If the court decided the money in the account belongs to your mother, this would also include the interest received on the money in the account. Which would also include interest on payments made into the account from funds raised by the group as a whole. Would it be right that your mother (or heir to her estate) gained the interest on that money raised by the group?

The judge's decision in effect has benefited all the members of the group, which also includes your father as a member of that group.

Something I found interesting is you have said the group had annual profit and loss statements for the 15 years. If these statements were given to all the members of the group it would suggest to me that some kind of formal arrangement existed between the members.

IMO I think the decision made by the Judge to be the right one. However can understand your dismay at the lack of an explanation and also at the attitude of the Judge.

• 9 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.