redundancy...just been served notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this site was great for me when I had problems with my bank. Got that all sorted! I need some more help if anyone can give me some pointers or info...

Back in February, myself and some other people were told we were being made redundant. We were given information of the payments we would receive. I found out that the other guys were given a retention package to stay until October. I was not offered this package so when I asked HR, I was told that the other members of the team were key to the business and their experience was why the retention package was offered to them (I used to do the same role before moving into the role I'm now in, plus I trained one of the members of the team. My role also has elements critical to business).

Fair enough, I stopped fighting for the extra money being offered to the rest of the team. Roles within the company were email to us. A lot of which I felt were above my level of experience. Then Another role (stand in team leader) was offered to me which I accepted I was given a letter telling me that I had found alternate employment within the company.

I have been asking since April when training for my new role would begin but I did not get an answer.

Then In June I started getting really worried something was up because everyone except me started to get dates for their mid year reviews.

On another note, when I accepted the team leader role thinking my job was safe, I applied for another position in the company back in June only to be told that I would not even get an interview even though the HR manager personally said its not that they doubt my abilty to perform in the role.

After many meeting requests regarding my new role and requesting dates for a mid year review, my manager agreed to a meeting (not formal), and I have just been told that the new role (team leader) for me is no longer available but there would be a role as an operator in the warehouse due to the head count been down due to the warehouse manager leaving. I accepted this (nothing set in writing), because I have just moved to rented accomodation with my girlfriend and I need a job. Near the end of the informal meeting with my manager, he asked me why I wanted the team leader role to which I replied that I felt it is the next logical step for me to take and one where I could apply my intelligence. He then went on and commented that sometimes I'm too intelligent!

Another meeting was set for the 17/08/10 attended by me, my manager and the HR manager. I was told that there is no position available for me anywhere in the company and I will be made redundant under the original terms set out in February.

I have just had my final meeting and I have been served notice. In the meeting my manager spoke out and said that I was aware of jobs available but I refused them (the only jobs I turned down were jobs that were way out of my ability and I accepted a post they offered to me but then they retracted the position). I have been given 7 weeks notice.

I did a little digging around after the meeting and I have found out that only a small portion of my job is going. The rest is going to a collegue of mine (I am currently on more money than he is).

I just wondered if I have a case thats worth going to tribunal with. I will be following the correct way to go about this.

Please if anyone has advice I would be most appreciative

Hi, thanks for the reply. Im not too sure what he meant by that. The only thing I can think about is I battled with him when he first mentioned the redundancies in Feb. I said that as far as I can see the role what I do will never be redundant. Is this what you mean as an undercurrent?

I am going to raise this in a grievance. Surely been told your too intelligent can be some form of discrimination?

I see what you mean about discrimination but it is not discrimination in the legal sense. It's a bit like 'special needs' If you are very intelligent you have special needs to keep you from getting bored but they actually mean you have some sort of deficiency. Not sure what you can do about this though. Some others will be better placed to advise.

Well as for intelligence, I'm not the most intelligent but I am quite intelligent. Lets just say every role I have been given, I have found easy.

In what context do you mean "but they actually mean you have some sort of deficiency"?

I am not suggesting you have. All I was doing was making a comparison and trying to show you that although what they have done to you feels like discrimination in law it is not. I tried to compare your situation with what happens when a parent feels his child has special needs because the child is very bright as opposed to having some sort of disability ie both have special needs but the authorities will only recognise one and not the other. I was not meaning to suggest anything was wrong with you!!

Anyway I hope someone that can give you info on your main problem will be along soon.

Hi Fyrus

This sounds like a very frustrating situation. Basically you can be as awkward as you need to be during redundancy consultations. They are an opportunity basically to ask 'Why Me?' and for you to be given an open answer. From what you have said, the 'consultation' process has been concluded, but has certainly left questions in your mind as to how fairly it has been conducted.

A Grievance is certainly the way to go, and you should set this out in such a way as to raise all of the points you have raised above. The fact that you have applied for alternative roles (and were even advised it was not worth putting yourself up for at least one of the vacancies), being appointed to a role and then having the job retracted. If this were then to become a matter of Unfair Dismissal (through a flawed selection process) then so much better that you sought, and were not given, answers to very real concerns.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!