MBNA Credit Card and Arrears after paid balance in full

medievil2003

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I paid my mbna credit card in full a few months back now, and i have only just received a letter to say my account is now in arrears and will be noted down as a missed payment on my credit file.

I telephoned them and they very simply stated this is the interest on your balance that was due before you paid the card off, i understand that and i made damn sure when i paid my card online and confirmed the payment over the telephone that this was the FINAL payment and no further payments will be neccessary after this payment is made...I even asked about the interest for next month and they told me thats covered.

The lady on the phone which i presume is the arrears collection department said it does not matter what they said, you are still in arrears.

I can't see how this is fair and i have not paid it yet, do you think i should pay it and then dispute it and possibly try and ask them to remove it from my credit file? For years now i have never missed a payment and this has really pis'd me off after i pay them all their money.

Any advice would be fantasic.

Thank you,

Mehdi

Hi,

I would stick to written communication from now on.

I would put in a complaint explaining everything you have put above. You never know, they might just have a sudden flash of compassion:!:

If you can remember the dates of the payment and the phone call, it may help you to SAR them.

Would there be any late payment charges on this account?

Fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hey guys,

I paid my mbna credit card in full a few months back now, and i have only just received a letter to say my account is now in arrears and will be noted down as a missed payment on my credit file.

I telephoned them and they very simply stated this is the interest on your balance that was due before you paid the card off, i understand that and i made damn sure when i paid my card online and confirmed the payment over the telephone that this was the FINAL payment and no further payments will be neccessary after this payment is made...I even asked about the interest for next month and they told me thats covered.

The lady on the phone which i presume is the arrears collection department said it does not matter what they said, you are still in arrears.

I can't see how this is fair and i have not paid it yet, do you think i should pay it and then dispute it and possibly try and ask them to remove it from my credit file? For years now i have never missed a payment and this has really pis'd me off after i pay them all their money.

Any advice would be fantasic.

Thank you,

Mehdi

Hi medievil2003,

Hmm not nice but only what we've come to expect from credit card companies... all of them put on the statements that the balance shown may not be the full outstanding amount as there will be interest for the period after the statement date to add. :-x

Normally when you phone and agree on a balance and pay it there and then or within 24hours the amount quoted IS the amount you have to pay and thats the end of it.

So the key point I think is how long after being told the balance you actually paid it off. Also I dont suppose you recorded the telephone conversation by any chance?

Phoning them will probably not get anywhere and you'll have no paper trail just in case you want to take it further so I wouldnt phone them again.

Number of options as I see it:-

a) You can write to them as a formal complaint and set out what was agreed and the dates of payment etc and request they sort it out.

b) You can add to a) That you will be happy to refer them to the FOS (which will cost them £450) when they give their final response

OR

c) You can add to a) You will take them to court and will claim damages to your credit file if they make ANY negative markers in relation to this.

Meanwhile if you dont pay you can expect them to mark your creditfile

S.

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

hey, thanks for your fast replies. thats some good advice both of you.

ok, i think i shall be writing them a letter explaining everything. The late charges have already been added but the lady on the phone said - "as a good will gesture we will remove the £12 charge".... thanks? lol

I shall write with a formal complaint first, but unfortunately i cannot remember when i spoke to them because i also closed the account so they should have it on file exactly when i closed it. If i dont get any joy from them the next letter will be as you said i will refer them to the FOS.

So do you suggest i pay this arrears? im worried that if i pay it and i have already closed my account they will come back to me and say there is nothing else we can do as you have closed it.

Thanks again