style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Yesterday a bailliff visited my parents house while they were out and left a letter for me.

Its an arrears of council tax from a previous property i lived in.

Things is I dont live at my parents address and currently have no fixed address (can be confirmed with housing dept at the council)

Where do I stand with regards the baillif being at my parents address :S

They can return the letter with 'not known at this address' on it.

Basically if they turn up at your parents they dont have to give them any information. They cannot force their way in and if they ask who the occupiers are all they have to do is show them a recent bill. They cannot demand any money off your parents for your debt.

the letter was hand delivered, should my parents say that i dont live when/if they call tomorrow?

I am more than willing to pay this, as after all it is my debt, however i am in receipt of benefits and simply cannot find 640.57pounds by tomorrow.............

What should be my next step?

Thanks

Contact the council, ask to speak to the manager of the revenues and benefits department, explain to them you are on benefits and request they make steps to have this paid via your benefits. Explain that you do not live at your parents and tell them to inform the bailiffs of this, let them know you are not refusing to pay but that you cannot afford to pay what the bailiff is demanding.