Return the Keys or Not to?

Guest buckryan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest buckryan

I have an assured Shorthold Tenancy which commenced on the 1st February 2010 and expires on the 31st July 2010. The period of notice is one calender month. The rent is £575 per month payable on the first day of each month. The property is managed by a letting agency.

Having paid Junes rent into the office I subsequently visited the office towards the end of June and paid Julys rent in advance stating that I would be away until the 1st of August which was a Sunday and would it be possible to pay Augusts rental and submit my notice on my return which was on Monday the 2nd August. This was agreed verbally.

On Monday 2nd August I visited the agents offices paid my Augusts rent and stated that I would like to give notice. I was asked if i could write the notice out in the office, which I did.

Two days later I recieved a letter stating that the notice to quit was accepted and I should pay Septembers rent with the effective handing back the keys on the 30th September.

I queried this with the agent who stated that the notice was per calender month and if i had posted the notice and it had arrived on the Monday it could be accepted, I stated that their offices were closed for business on the Sunday, but to no avail.

The agent did say that they would speak to the landlord but the agent has not contacted me until 25th August when they wanted to show someone around.

I have already moved from the property, and have facilitated the visit of future prospective tenants at the request of the agent.

The agent has now requested that we carry out an inventory and hand over the keys to the property on Friday 10 September 2010 as they may be able to get some new tenants into the house. They haven't been trustworthy so far.

Any advice would be welcome as I feel reluctant to allow the agent to have free run and marketing of the property when I am still liable for the remainder of Septembers rent.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Simple. Only hand over the keys if you get, in writing, that they agree you are no longer liable for the rent from that date.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Guest buckryan

Had the inspection today, cleaner than when we moved in.The agent wouldn't sign to accept liability for the rent so they didn't get the keys. They did however state that they would contact the landlady to try and get new tenants in.

Will let you know the final outcome as and when it happens. Thank you again Mr Shed for your advice

Agent wanting to have their cake and eat it I see!!

You are welcome :)

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Guest buckryan

Handed the keys back today on the written agreement that we are no longer responsible for the security of the house and have no liability for the rent which is paid up until Thursday 17th September.

The inspecting agent could find no defects and she stated that the deposit should be repaid in full.

If it isn't I shall of course be in touch. Thank you Mr Shed

Good result. You are very welcome!