Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Dear All,


I came on this forum a few months back with regard to my debt problems.


One of the debts was a Council Tax debt which has gone to court and Balliffs instructed. I sent them a letter to say that I would be unable to pay this as I was a carer for my parents,


They have now turned up and issued me with 'notice of intended seizure of your goods'.


I have not signed anything, they just gave it to me after I told them they was not invited in and had no goods to give them.


I'm a complete wreck right now and don't know what to do.


I need to go bankrupt as I have had my house repo'ed and have over £40k in unsecured debts and am on carers allowance.


If I have missed something out, please let me know as my head is completely not with it after that.



Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so sorry that you find yourself in this predicament. Going Bankrupt is ALWAYS the last avenue open to you.


A few questions to help me and others offer advice:


Do you live in Scotland


How much do you owe in Council Tax, is this for the home that was reprod' and where do you live now, with your parents who you are a Carer for?


I believe your position may not be as scary as it feels, as there is quite a bit of help and assistance which may be available to you.


Lets deal with the bailiffs on this thread, and start other threads about your other debts and there will be much support available for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Harrassed for the reply.


I live in England.


The council tax is for £522. It is on the repo'ed property. It was empty over that period as well.


I live with my parents. I car for both but mainly my Mum who has Dementia.


I don't have a car. The only possessions I have are a PC, TV and some cast iron weights.


I am right in thinking that they can't enter my property? I told them I wouldn't let them in for that reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, not too up on Council Tax, but what dealings have you had with the Council prior the Bailiffs arriving. The rate should have been considerably lowered if the property was uninhabited, but then, if it was actually repo'd, wouldn't the mortagae company be liable for the tax?


Have you received a CCJ because of this tax, because in my mind I believe you should go back to the council and query this debt.


Do you have the bailiffs' contact details as you have to inform him that the house you now live in is owned/rented by your parents and all possession therein belong to them. Try and find some proof such as a rent book, or, indeed their Council Tax bill.


I must admit to flapping about a bit here as this is not an area I am knowledgeable about.


I really think your first port of call has to be the council, and also, find out if they Bailiff is Court appointed (ie after a warrant of executions after a CCJ was granted) or, if he is a private bailiff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening

Easier said than done I know but try not to worry as there are some very worldy wise Caggers around

This link should bring up a leaflet on Council Tax . . . .



There is a list of exemptions and Repossesion is on the list but I didn't have time to read right through so I hope there's some good info in there that can be used

good luck


[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:



Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off you did the right thing in not letting them in, secondly, if you live with your parents who you are caring for then your household is classed as vulnerable under the national standards of enforcement agents, and this debt needs to be passed back to the council for them to start making arrangements for this debt to be paid back at a reasonable repayment. If your home was empty during a certain time, did the council tax department know this?


My advice is to start paying what you can afford to the council using their online payment facility on their website, you need to know the account number of that debt which should be your council tax number for the year in question.

Write to the Manager of the benefits and revenue department, email as well explaining your situation and how much you can afford to pay off the debt each week/month. You need to show some sort of proof when your home was empty and the dates that it was unoccupied from. If you have this proof then your CT should be reduced.

Dont worry about the bailiff, ignore them and eventually your account with them will be passed back to the council, just dont let them in .. in fact you dont even have to acknowledge them, but you must show that you are willing to pay off this debt and the best way is to pay online on your councils website. Make sure you write to the council that this is what you are doing. As long as you dont let the bailiff in, there is nothing he can do. Make sure all windows and doors are locked.

You can also get in touch with your local councillor for help and advice, they will often intervene on your behalf.

If you have problems with writing letters then get back on here and we will help you write one out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...