72 hour notice of document delivery ... Or is it?

Guest Cartaphilus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Cartaphilus

Got a green envelope today with:

72 hour notice of document delivery

THIS COMMUNICATION TO BE DELIVERED TO NAMED ADDRESSEE ONLY

Appreciably, you will understand seeing that can have, when most letters coming are from DCAs or creditors. Turns out it was from Readers Digest whom I don't have anything to do with, about a competition I never entered anf my name is 'guaranteed' a winner place if I phonr and confirm. Not that I will be but, really, what a thing to put on an envelope. I am still trying to getm my breathing back under control.

Guest Cartaphilus

Missed these other replies because I was out, did hear my phone go 'ding' for an incoming update from here but was too busy listening to music :D.

I was also curious to note that Readers Digest (or the marketing or 'a' address on the back) appears to be in the Isle of Man now. I mean, I never really believed I'd won £125000. Last time it was a golden coloured tear off the strip thing ages ago.

Edited - oh, and look I just found a DCA listed in IOM on Google. Well, the one I found. (Or it's listed on a site after looking up DCAs there).

Edited by Cartaphilus

Guest Cartaphilus

Reminds me that I've not been to the IOM since 1985 ... Might have to ferry over there and have a snoop to see where this address is. ;)

Guest Cartaphilus

And jolly naughty of them, too! But the other way gives me an excuse to visit the island, never seen a Manx cat for example. Besides I have googlemaps on my phone, have been very entranced looking at Easter Island, NY and other places.

Guest Cartaphilus

But then I just thought, that if I used Googlemaps I may get the wrong view/address ... some of the information on there's a bit 'inaccurate' ... and not from personal knowledge of an area I know them to be ... which is also what DCAs do, of course. ;)

well, keep the envelope for the next time you get a letter from a

DCA
link3.gif
saying you must contact them urgently....

Don't worry, always do. In fact getting rather sick of the large collection that's amassed over time. I'd really prefer not to be getting what I consider junk mail for example and then having to keep it in the house.

Guest Cartaphilus

Yes. It does seem a 'coincidence' because ... I had an odd text (second one) ... I won't post what it said but it was like the letter but 'offering' me something (only people who should have my number are one friend, one family member and the phone company, it's not anywhere else eg in the public domain) and if I wanted the texts to stop to text 'STOP'. Fishy. Considering the contents of the message. Of course, it arrives same day as this envelope does. I hadn't thought of them being connected but now you posted what you got today I am now thinking or linking them because of the timing. I haven't looked up the number yet as it's also a mobile number I don't recognize.

Mmm, just checked and the subject line is 'FREEMSG'.

Edited, it's nowhere online, either. I remember I did check it out before when I got the first one, couldn't find it. Which, if it was a company others would have had the same text if it was some kind of marketing thing. Unlike the DCAs that use certain numbers other than their normal ones, so you don't know who they are. Mmmm.

Edited by Cartaphilus

Guest Cartaphilus

Found it! Or at least the code and part of the number matching the one I have, it's a company offering to write of loans legally.

Along with this post where I found it:

To stop getting these messages to txt STOP2optout all very dodgy to me, i definately won’t be calling either no. Also there is now a database which will include everybodys mobile numbers & names! There is an option to opt out of this service.

Right, now found this entry so I think I can safely assume it's a DCA of some kind pulling the old 'we have a package waiting for you' routine and 'phone the number':

http://www.callid.org/07786209245/

Finally found it now, and it has plenty of entries ... Don't know why I couldn't before, must have miskeyed a number:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07786206957

Okay, looks like it could be an SMS [problem]

http://www.smswatchdog.com/7786206957

... What's interesting about it, though, is everyone who has had one of these texts has had them recently ie within the last 7 days. Think that sated my curiosity a little but will still keep an eye on things.

Edited by Cartaphilus
Editing as I find new information.

Guest Cartaphilus

Yes, you're probably right re the coincidence. I had to reach for the inhaler - still getting used to the things after just a week - afterwards, though as I could see in the very large window a few things that looked like account information on full display if you just pulled the corners back a bit, then looked at the back.

Thanks for the link CB, I found it eventually. It's the third one down I had the texts from in my post above. SMS [problem] by the looks of things.

Guest Cartaphilus

Well wadayaknow? I got a new debt collector's letter today and from one I've never had the pleasure of before, 72 hours after the winners notification. Nothing from Readers Digest, though. Coincidence? Least it also answers the witheld number that has been calling my phone this week, no message left ... can only mean a debt collecting agency.

Well wadayaknow? I got a new debt collector's letter today and from one I've never had the pleasure of before, 72 hours after the winners notification. Nothing from Readers Digest, though. Coincidence? Least it also answers the witheld number that has been calling my phone this week, no message left ... can only mean a debt collecting agency.

Whos the new DCA and what they trying to collect on?

See if get anyhing from them in the morning

Best way to deal with these "txt2stop" messages is ring your phone company and they can block the number at source. I had one where I texted STOP but it kept saying I needed to confirm.... seemed it went to a very high rate phone number and routed round several other numbers.... 02 were able to stop this at source.

Guest Cartaphilus

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to block it from the handset but seeing as it's an android phone it's pretty useless on letting you do that, I could do it from an older generation one for example.

BPO, Glasgow. Not MBNA, though. Amazing how many DCAs seem to use Glasgow as a base isn't it?

Guest HeftyHippo
Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to block it from the handset but seeing as it's an android phone it's pretty useless on letting you do that, I could do it from an older generation one for example.

BPO, Glasgow. Not MBNA, though. Amazing how many DCAs seem to use Glasgow as a base isn't it?

No applications you can put on it to block calls or create blacklists?

Guest Cartaphilus

I could have a look. I'm not annoyed by the calls, though I would like to know how they got hold of the number because the creditor doesn't have it, either. Not that I ever answer them anyway because I know who has my number and they wouldn't withold it, so I can see and answer when they do. They appear very reluctant to leave messages. ;)