Jump to content

Administration Charges From My Local Council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi there,


I have just recieved an invoice from my local council with regard to administration charges. In brief, I sent them a cheque covering an invoice for services and the cheque bounced back. I have been charged by my bank (yawn), but also now by the council. They have invoiced me for £30.00 for 'administration charge for refer to drawer cheque'.


I think this is excessive and wondered if indeed it is legal. Can anyone tell me where I stand with this please? Would the same laws apply here as they do with the banks? What should I do next?


I have informed them that I am getting legal advice as I am concerned that the charges are illegal and they have put the invoice on hold until the end of the month (30th Sept)


Any info much appreciated.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dysexlic

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.



I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.


Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.



Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.


It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread moved to the appropriate subforum to attract more traffic.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.



Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)





Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I don't know whether this is legal or not I've worked in both invoicing and cashiering for local government and have never heard of this being done. It seems pretty excessive, there isn't a huge amount of work in dealing with a bounced cheque so I don't know how they would justify charging any customer for that, let alone £30.


I think getting legal advice sounds like a good idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...