postggj

free internet texting ?????

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3615 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

after ditching my 3g dongle, ive now got installed bt internet,

are there any program out there that does free internet texting

skype is ok but is there a free program

many thanks

Guest wino

I will ask my son when he comes home as I know he does a lot of texting via the internet so perhaps he might know.

Guest wino

Have a look at CBFSMS.COM

This is the one my son uses:-)

Hi,

Ultimately, someone along the line is going to have to pay for any messages sent.

You'd be very lucky to find someone offering it totally for free... cbfsms is supported by ads (they clip your text and stick an advert in at the end which the recipient gets).

Some other services will let you send for free, but the recipient has to pay to receive! They'll get an alert from a premium rate sms number telling them they have a message waiting and should reply to get it send to them (often at a cost of £5 per message!!).

Then there's also the problem of getting any replies - the providers won't let you send messages from your own number. You either have to include it in the message or just hope the recipient knows its you.

Your best bet is probably to get a cheap pay as you go that offers x amount of free texts for £x top up per month. Some of those deals are cracking 8)

There are various free internet text services, Ive used a few in the past (in emergencies when my phone is buggered), but as pointed out, replying is a problem. Im unaware of any that charge the receiver (I cant see how they could anyway).

Im unaware of any that charge the receiver (I cant see how they could anyway).

A message is sent to the receiver from a premium sms number e.g. 88000.

The message would say something along the lines of:

"you have been sent a message from [mobile number] - to receive it, please reply "yes" (messages charged at £x to receive).

The messages are then sent using "reverse billing" which the recipient pays to receive (but cannot be sent unsolicited - hence you have to reply "yes")

I had a quick look at some of the free text services on the 'net and couldnt find any that charge the recipient. Obvioulsy you need to add your name & number so the recipient can reply and they know who its from.

Andy