Jump to content

Data Officer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Need some advice / comfirmation that I am right/ or indeed to be told that I am wrong.


Everyone can see that I am in Liverpool.


up here in the nothwest, there is a quite large newspaper with daily circulation.

As a result of an advert in this newspaper at the beginning of August, I bought a "posh pussy".


When I collected the kitten the lady who sold him to me (private breeder at home) told me that she would forward the pedigree to me at my home.

I left my address, wasn't worried about no receipt as the pedigree would show me as being the owner.


Since then I have not received anything from her.

I have text her and phoned her - she ignores both.


Now to the salient point.

I know everything about her except her surname.

I cant look it up as she has only just moved into the house from where we collected the kitten

- so she wont be on the voters register as yet.


This morning I went to the newspaper office and requested the lady's surname.


They have refused to give it to me , claiming they cant because of data protection.


I argued that I had legitimate reason and had shown good cause for requiring the information, they still refused .


Referring me to Trading Standards. I then asked the the address of the company's data officer

- to be told



I pointed out that they had lots of peoples names and adresses on computer ,

as well as other information

- they should have a data officer.


I was again told that they don't.

I am right or wrong.

If I am right who do I complain to about this

- is it the information Commissioner, or someone else.


Thanks for your time - I kept it as shortas I could.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Applying to DVLA for the name and address of owner for the purpose of service of a summons is allowed. Alternatively you could apply to Land Registry for the details too. Shouldn't cost too much.


Knock on the doors of the neighbours and ask? What about stopping the postman and asking for the surname may or may not give it to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you search the ICO website you will find that organisations have to register for public consumption who the Registered Data Controller is and their address. There might not be a job in the company but someone must have filled in the form and someone allocated the responsibility of being the controller. You obviously spoke to someone that has no knowledge of the system!!

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...