Warrant in Wrong Name

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I'll try and explain my situation as best I can.

I have lived in my property for 10 years. About 3-4 years ago my current gas supply was switched, I cannot remember who from or who to. But I never requested the switch.

Anyway, I stopped getting gas bills. About a year and a half ago I started getting bills from Npower to my address in the name of someone who never lived here.

I have tried to sort the problem out without any success. I am happy to start paying back the arrears. I found out today the arrears are £1700, dating back years (I don't know how many!).

I have used the gas and I am happy to pay for what I am using and pay back the debt - it's only fair.

Tomorrow they are coming to install a pre-payment meter. They have a warrant - but it is not in my name (its in the name of someone who never lived here).

I would prefer to have the account changed to my name and start paying for the gas I am using and also the arrears. I would prefer not to have a pre-payment meter installed.

I have 2 questions:

1. Because the warrant in not in my name can they legally install a pre-payment meter?

2. How far back can they go to claim arrears - as for a few years a gas bill was never delivered to my address, not even in the name of the ficticious person who is now on the bill.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Tom

I would contact http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/energy-help-and-advice immediately and ask for help. Also contact NPower again

Have you written to dispute the bill?

I'm not sure that they can bill you for the period when they weren't sending bills (ie from the switch until 18 months ago)

In any event, you will need to be satisfied thatthe bills are correct, including the initial reading from the unauthorised transfer (if you didn't authorise it and the meter hasn't been read, how have they got this right?)

If the pre-pay meter goes ahead, make sure that you make a record of the reading and the serial number. Might be worth informing them that you need the meter to be retained as you are not sure about its accuracy (why not be awquard?)

As a last resort, it might be worth telling them of the incorrect name, the unauthorised transfer and billing errors, but it probably won't stop them - they are just there to do a job, not discuss your bill and won't have any authority to do anything else

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I'll contact the two organisations you mention and see how I get on. I am having to take a day off work tomorrow to be there when Npower come around, so will be able to give them my fully attention and to be awkward.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the fact that I need to confirm/clarify the amount of the alleged arrears - as alot of it was not billed. It's a right old mess and I have tried to speak to them on the phone but they are pants and keep telling me a different story everyt time.

I'll post an update after tomorrow.

Thanks again for taking the time to post

Tom