Jump to content

Housing Benefit/Council Tax if carer lives with my son

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3623 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I hope someone can answer my questions!

My son has Aspergers Syndrome and ADHD and is living in a one bedroom Housing Co-operative flat.

He is receiving JSA and Housing Benefit and Council Tax. He is also on lower rate care component of DLA.

He is struggling to live independently and really needs someone to be with him to ensure that he pays bills, washes, takes medication etc and is generally not exploited as his flat has become a "doss house" for all the other youth to just turn up and smoke there - using all his resources etc.

The neighbours have complained about the number of people he lets stay over and it's very important that we now take action to ensure he doesn't lose his flat. My son is nearly 21 (although younger emotionally!)

I would like his stepbrother to live with him - he is relocating to London and needs somewhere to live but we don't want to compromise my son's benefits at all and he is finding it impossible to get work once employers see his "label" of Aspergers etc.

Obviously they are not a couple and we would need to get permission to make a temporary partition for some privacy for them both.

However, my stepson intends to get a job down here but it would put my mind at rest knowing he is supporting my son and ensuring that he is not taken advantage of!

I need to know if my son would lose his JSA, HB or Council Tax allowance should we be able to get permission from the housing co-operative for my stepson to live there with him and put up the partition.

Advice would be much appreciated as I can't seem to get a clear answer and we need to know the position before we take any action.

Thanks so much :-)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

HB and CTB will be affected as they are household income based benefits. Your son will have to tell the Council when his stepbrother moves in and the stepbrother will have to provide proof of his income at the moment and when he gets a job.


Any rent or Council Tax owing after this should be paid by the stepbrother.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...