Student Tenancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am just looking for some thoughts on this please.

Brief details - house share between 5 students. House viewed and all decided on which room to have, tenancy signed etc.

1 room has an ensuite bathroom with a shower (electric) the landlord warned on the day the tenancy started (early August), when keys were issued that there had been a problem with water overflowing from the shower and causing damage to the ceiling below and it was stressed that whoever had this room must be vigilant when using the shower and if further problems occurred, then he would have to disconnect this shower.... fair enough.

None of the Students moved in until recently and the landlord in the meantime has arranged re-decorating and general maintenance, which is great.

However the shower in the ensuite has been disconnected, without any discussion and it seems that the landlord has no intention of restoring it.

Do we have to just accept it?

What has the landlord said about it, and about his change of mind?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Well when we moved my son in and realised it had been disconnected, I called the landlord but he wouldn't discuss it with me and put me on to his wife. She said that they had discovered more water damage that still has to be rectified and will cost thousands!

The LL seems more interested that he has had parts of the house re-decorated at great expense (he says thousands!) and we are lucky that he didnot increase the rent!

I just feel that if the shower was in and working when we took the tenancy over (which is was) then we should expect it to be there when we move in. I have suggested that the shower head is moved to a different position but no response yet to this question, this could be done easily with little expense IMO. The unit is still there but the head has been removed and electrics switched off.

This is a pretty straightforward disrepair issue.

The landlord has an obligation to repair the fault (including the possibility of water damage).

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

The Act states that where a short lease of less then seven years or periodic tenancy is in place then the landlord is responsible:

(a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,

(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and

© to keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water .

(Section 11, Landlord and Tenant Act, 1985

Read more: http://www.tenancyagreementservice.co.uk/repairing-obligations.htm#ixzz0yrulcPa2

Hi Mr Shed,

Thanks for that info.

Did some searching under disrepair and came up with the above, whilst it does mention basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, I can't find anything that specifically mentions a shower so can I still insist that it is re-connected?

The damage to the ceiling below has been repaired, but it seems that this ceiling has come down more than once due to previous tenants not ensuring that the shower curtain was positioned correctly.

I have suggested that the shower is re-positioned which I believe would rectify the problem.

Yes you can - you are entitled to have the property's fittings maintained.