clara990

help please on benefits and disabled child

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3628 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hello, i have just joined this forum and am hoping for some advice,

I have found myself in a position where for the first time i have to claim benefits, i have two small children, both under 5 one of which is disabled. I am now a single parent with no job at the moment and trying to settle my children into a new home. I compled the benefits online calculator from government website and have now made a claim for income support and child tax credits, but am alarmed at the differences of what i thought i was going to get compared to what income support have told me and tax credits, i have been told i'll only get £42 per week income support as i currently get carers allowance for my child, the website stated £120 and approx £90 per week tax credits where the website said i would get £170. I entered all the same information and cant understand why there is such a difference, has anyone else come across the same problem?

I assume that's everything i can try to claim.

Any help would be appreciated at this difficult time in my life,

thank you in advance

Hello there and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear about the enforced changes in your life. You need to give it a little while for the right people to come along, please. Our moderator has a disabled child so knows the system and a few others are also in the know about this sort of thing.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Your total household income from benefits/tax credit (not including housing benefit/council tax benefit) will be approximately between £236.13 and £257.18 per week, or if you like yearly figures, it will be between £12278.76 and £13373.36

Calculated as follows:

Carers Allowance £53.90

Income Support £41.60

Child Benefit £33.70

Child Tax credits are made up of the following rates for the tax year 2010:

Family element £545

Child Element £2300 (not per child)

Disabled child element £2715

Severely disabled child element £1095 (paid in addition to disabled child element)

If your child is entitled to the disabled child element of tax credit, your total CTC will be approx £106.93 per week.

If your child is entitled to the severely disabled child element of tax credit, your total CTC will be approx £127.98 per week.

So that is a total household income of approximately between £236.13 and £257.18 per week, before considering any housing benefit/council tax benefit (you will get the full rate available for your circumstances if you are on income support), or child support payments.

If you worked in 2009/2010, your tax credit payments may be lower. Carers Allowance is classified as income for tax credit purposes but the amount of CA at £2802.80 is below the tax credit earning threshold of £16190 (this is the amount that you can earn in a year before the child element is reduced).

If you have savings over £300, the interest on them may affect tax credit

If you have savings over £6000, this will affect Income Support, Housing benefit and council tax benefit. If you have other income coming into your household other that what is mentioned in this post, your benefits may be affected. If you share a house with non dependents your benefits may be affected. The calculations I have done are based upon a lone parent, with two children, one of whom is receiving either the middle or higher rate of DLA care component.

The benefit calculators are to be used only as a guide. I've never come across one yet that has got it bang on. I usually tell people to use them as a guide to what benefits a person can get rather than how much. A lot of it depends on what information you input, the slightest deviation can throw them way off tangent.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thank you both so much. I thought the figures were too good to be true, i really appreciate your time and help, once again, many thanks x

No problem

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Please post again if you need more help. Erika is the best.

HB x

No, Erika is a very sad individual with no life!

Erika, you're a lovely person with a big heart and a lot of knowledge. I hope you don't neglect your own life to help caggers and other people with problems.

HB x