keep being told "Come back tomorrow"

OfW0lfAndMan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently took my mobile to a local shop to have it unlocked so I could change networks. I was told it would take 24hrs and cost £20.00. I agreed, took a receipt and handed over the phone. I returned next day only to be told it's not done, come back tomorrow. Two further "tomorrows" later I went back to collect my phone only to be told at lunchtime, it'll be back in 40 minutes, like I had time to wait around in my lunch break. Then I was said I'll collect it after work. At 4.45pm I went to collect my phone. After some rummaging around in a box of phones, the retailer brought out a phone, put a sim card and battery int, switched it on and asked me if I recognised the photos. Guess what? I didn't! He then said oh sorry he must have brought the wrong phone!!! Needless to say I was fuming, even more so when he said "same time tomorrow."

My questions are, why are my rights in this situation? What can I do if I don't get my phone back?

I forgot to mention, one more question. On the receipt I was given it says

"Customers should leave the phones at their own risk ******* are nor liable for lost or damage."

Is this right? Surely the retailer has a duty of care not to lose it?

This is a business. They can write whatever they like on the receipt but it does not relieve them of the law. You entrusted this buisness with your phone. They have obviously lost it or given it to someone else, so you are entitled to compensation to the value of the phone. If the phone is less than 6 months old, you are entitled to the value of a brand new equivalent. If old, the value of another phone of the same type or similar of similar condition or age.

If the phone isn't there today, get it blocked by your network.