Phones4U - cancelling phone

casey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son had a contract phone that had developed a fault and he returned it to Phones4U for repair. However, when he went to the shop he was persuaded to take out a contract on another phone. The previous phone was orange and the new phone is vodafone. However, after a couple of days he realised that he could not get on with the phone at all (he's not exactly a technophobe so knows how it all works). However, they say that there is no cooling off period and he's now stuck with paying £35 a month for 24 months for a phone that he just does not like - all he really wanted was his original phone repairing.

Is it possible for him to just sell this new phone?

Hi casey,

This could be tricky to resolve as in store sales wouldn't be covered under Distance Selling Regulations as orders placed over the phone or online are.

Whilst Phone 4U may not offer a refund under normal circumstances has your son spoken to the store manager about this at all? The reason I ask is that it's a little strange to go into a store asking for your phone to be repaired and leaving with a new phone on a new agreement with a new provider.

Although it may not be possible for them to accept the return and arrange for the agreement to be canceled it may be feasible for an exchange to be agreed upon as a compromise.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi, lee :)

Phones 4U are a manipulative company in my view I dealt with them. I remember walking by and being accosted by man asking did I want to leave the centre with 100.00 cash in my hand. Now I needed new phone anyhow so thought okay. On signing up I asked where my 100.00 cash was like it said on the sign leave with 100.00 cash today and man who turned out to be the manager said 'in hand' , to be told it was issued as cheque when gone through. The cheque did arrive months later and taught me to be wary of this firm.

From what happened to me and the nature of them coming across as desperate sharks out for a sale I could easily see how someone could go in store for one thing and leave with another. The sales figures matter to them that mean they dont even mind breaking trading description laws in full view of many. Well thats how it appeared to me, since when is a cheque that takes months to arrive described as cash in hand.

Funny enough lee my phone was with vodafone and at the time the local transmitter to me was taken down due to building works and the land being sold. Vodafone at time didnt know there was not signal near me and happily said to be fair if phones 4u cancel the contract their end we will happily cancel our end.

Went to phones 4u who said we will cancel if vodafone cancel and I said they have been more than helpful and said yes. To which store said no as we dont have anything in writing, to which I said just ring the manager who spoke to me. The phone store wouldnt you see and just refered me to vodafone again. In the end this merry go around went of for a little while untill I got the idea to go to my nearest vodafone store and ask for the managers help. They dont normally do this but I pleaded with him after speaking to head office to sign a note saying vodafone were hleping me realising the contract needed cancelling and that they were happy with that. The gent did it and I went to phones 4u who to put it politely nearly cra**ed themselves.

They said they had never come accross this and then eventually admitted they knew in normal circumstances vodafone would refer me to them who intern would refer me to them again, round and round you see. I by this time was on friendly talking terms with the staff who admitted there was no precedure their end to cancel in such a way and that eventually I added people must give up and she nodded.

Well after the female struggling they gave me a note cancelling the contract and I was happy. Months later a cheque turned up for the £100.00 and I went back in and was told to cash it, wasnt their concern and they sniggled to keep quiet about it. Told I was entitled to it for opening the account and the fact I cancelled due to no service not an issue.

So as much as would avoid them again, thanks for my 100.00 phones 4 U, I did gain 100.00 but boy was it hastle. As I couldnt deal with more hastle confirming with head office, I took it I should trust the words of their staff and heard nothing since xx

So I say to person wanting to end vodafone contract try your local store and ask for advice of the manager there. They might be too busy to help, but in my case I was lucky, maybe you will too xxx

ps. The attitude of the phones 4 u staff varies from helpful to downright ignorant, when I had to describe the manager who turned out sold me the phone in the first place, they said he didnt exist at first. I described the sign and they said it didnt exist, wonder why now? :) Anyhow after saying due to memory problems cant remember name but did say he was the manager she again said nope. I then had no alternative and said he I remember had bad breath, I man very bad breath, not being rude, but in such a small store it is noticeable and if this man is saying he is the manager when not, they maybe could identify him from that.

She turned around and said how dare you talk about our manager like that. Funny enough they knew at that point exactly who I was talking about all along xxxxx Turned out he was sitting in the side room listening in all along, so why say he didnt exist.....Maybe the 100.00 offer had been complained about as slightly misleeding? xxxx

After my varying visits I would avoid them in future and still go with vodafone now, but payg therefore no need for contract in my case as I had a run in with 02 too, they though were worse to deal with and creatively implied cancellation period existed in store that turned out in the end never to have existed as it was never honored. So you learn as you go along and I happily have two phones now payg one vodafone and no bills xxxx

Sad so much bull**** is sputtered within phone stores, I could understand if we made an error or let them down in some way against contract, but when will they learn, a little help when needed keeps a customer doesnt scare them away.

Edited by loopinlouie

Thanks Lee (once again - seems to be a full time job dealing with my children's phone issues!!!) He has spoken to the manager and to head office and been told categorically that they will not change the phone. As you say, it does seem to be strange to go into a store for a repair and come out with a new phone and contract. However, he was persuaded to give up his old phone and because he still had 11 months to run on the contract they did actually give him £300 in cash at the time to cancel his old contract (I think there would be about £350 owing on the old contract). So I can see how a 19 year old was persuaded to take out a new phone - £300 cash in his hand!!! I believe a portion of this was for his old phone but I can't really understand how they work this out. Okay, so he is going to have to use this to pay off his old contract. They did tell him that if he had chosen the other phone he would not have received the £300 (even though the contract would have been for the same amount . However, he does not get on with the new phone at all - it is far too slow for him and just can't keep up with him when he tries to text and ends up turning itself off halfway through and then suddenly turns itself back on again.

I don't think he really wants to cancel the new contract - just change the phone for one that is more suitable for his needs.

Normally when he wants a new phone he does a lot of research on the internet and then probably tries out his friends' phones before making a decision - he certainly had no inention of getting a new phone when he went into the shop.

I can see how he was persuaded by the salesman - I have experienced this myself at Phones4u when mystery shopping and felt that there was too much pressure.

Well if the store wont help then they will lose a future customer as in your son, their loss. Is the phone faulty in any way? or is it just slow?

Might be better for son to buy a more suitable phone when can afford it, I know annoying, and put the new contract sim in it, at least as knawing as it is, he will have learnt a lesson to not take a sales pitch from phones 4U as read again. If the phone is okay but just not suitable I would think listing it and selling.

Hope you get something sorted xx.

Hi Loopinlouie,

Yes, I think he has decided he will sell it - it seems that he can probably get as much for this one as he would have to pay for the one he wants but will probably have to get it exchanged first because of it keep switching itself on and off as he couldn't really sell it knowing that there is a problem with it. I've a very cheap phone (bought for £10 on PAYG Orange!!) which he could use temporarily until he sells his although I'm not really sure at this stage whether the phone is really his to sell - I'm not at all up to date with these phone contracts.

Someone will correct me if wrong, but as long as pays the contract its up to him what he does with the phone. I recently went into the gamestation store and was suprised in their secondhand window to see three brand spanking new ipads 64gig and asked how they could afford to beat the apple prices. Explained second hand in that given with phone or internet contract and flogged on as not wanted. I asked could they do this with something under a contract and he said yep as long as they fulfill their agreement and pay.

ps. I didnt buy one of the ipads just peeked, my two kids just incase were telling me off in the store, put it back mummy, no and even said I would prefer you looked at handbags than one of them:lol: I was only nosing and not going to buy but apparantly a lot of people when upgrading flog the new phone and are obvioulsy happy with the old one they had as not all companies ask for old one back and they obvioulsy make a little out of it as happy with supplier anyhow xx

Thanks Loopinlouie - This is probably what he'll have to do. I did email phones4u but have received no response from them. I might just have to send my mother into the branch with him - she won't stand for any nonsense.

Hi, lee :)

Phones 4U are a manipulative company in my view I dealt with them. I remember walking by and being accosted by man asking did I want to leave the centre with 100.00 cash in my hand. Now I needed new phone anyhow so thought okay. On signing up I asked where my 100.00 cash was like it said on the sign leave with 100.00 cash today and man who turned out to be the manager said 'in hand' , to be told it was issued as cheque when gone through. The cheque did arrive months later and taught me to be wary of this firm....

Hi loopinlouie,

From your experience here I can certainly understand your point of view.

Naturally I'm not really able to comment other than to say that you'll find good and bad with any company with the bad bits usually only making their way on to forum such as CAG.

That said it's great to know that you're a PAYG customer with us and long may this continue to the case and should you require any assistance with anything you're welcome to give me a shout.

Thanks Lee (once again - seems to be a full time job dealing with my children's phone issues!!!) He has spoken to the manager and to head office and been told categorically that they will not change the phone. As you say, it does seem to be strange to go into a store for a repair and come out with a new phone and contract. However, he was persuaded to give up his old phone and because he still had 11 months to run on the contract they did actually give him £300 in cash at the time to cancel his old contract (I think there would be about £350 owing on the old contract). So I can see how a 19 year old was persuaded to take out a new phone - £300 cash in his hand!!! I believe a portion of this was for his old phone but I can't really understand how they work this out. Okay, so he is going to have to use this to pay off his old contract. They did tell him that if he had chosen the other phone he would not have received the £300 (even though the contract would have been for the same amount . However, he does not get on with the new phone at all - it is far too slow for him and just can't keep up with him when he tries to text and ends up turning itself off halfway through and then suddenly turns itself back on again.

I don't think he really wants to cancel the new contract - just change the phone for one that is more suitable for his needs.

Normally when he wants a new phone he does a lot of research on the internet and then probably tries out his friends' phones before making a decision - he certainly had no inention of getting a new phone when he went into the shop.

I can see how he was persuaded by the salesman - I have experienced this myself at Phones4u when mystery shopping and felt that there was too much pressure.

Hi casey,

Thanks for coming back to me.

You do certainly seem to have your work cut out sometimes but I'd imagine things are made a little easier by the vast amount of knowledge of us fellow Caggers.

I was going to suggest contacting Phones 4u's Head Office to see if they were able to anything in this instance and while you haven't heard back from them yet I'd give it a few days before chasing them up.

As you've posted the worst case scenario here would be to sell the phone and out the proceeds to one he knows he'll like and be able to get on with better.

Be sure to keep us updated on any further developments.

Someone will correct me if wrong, but as long as pays the contract its up to him what he does with the phone.

You're absolutely correct here loopinlouie.

Kind regards to you both.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee,

Thanks once again for your input. My son did actually call in at the Vodafone shop and was told that they should have allowed him seven days to change his mind. I haven't heard anything from Phones4u yet but will convey that information to them.

My son has decided that he has found a buyer for his phone but unfortunately - it's his younger brother!!! I really don't need this as the onus will be on me now to try and get them to repair the phone as his brother is under 18. I am really trying hard to make them change their minds as I really don't want all this hassle - I have a £10 PAYG phone and am quite happy with it myself!!

You're welcome casey.

Whilst we have just recently re-introduced a seven day cooling off period for in-store purchases my understanding is that when electrical goods are bought in person there is no obligation for the seller to offer a cooling off period.

Of course, should there be a fault with the equipment then either a repair or replacement should be offered to rectify the problem.

Although Phones 4U haven't yet responded I'd maybe give them a little reminder and see what they say.

Take care.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee,

Still no response from Phones4U - will probably have to go back to manufacturers as the local branch don't seem to want to know. He's now bought a new phone - a Samsung Galaxy S and it is so much better than the HTC - in fact I'm quite tempted myself. Another three family members/friends have also said they're going to get one - naturally they'll avoid Phones4U so really they've lost a few customers.

• Haha 1

My preference for buying any high value goods is over the internet. Not only can you find a bargain, but as Lee pointed out in his 1st post, you are covered by the distance selling regulations. You can return the goods for a full refund within a 7 day cooling off period, you don't even need to give a reason. You are only liable for the delivery costs to return the item.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Yes, I quite agree - I usually buy all my products (apart from groceries) online - just have to train my children to do the same. I will check over the product sometimes instore before buying online. I have found before that I can check a product in Currys and then buy it from Currys cheaper online, even allowing for any delivery costs.

Hi Lee,

Still no response from Phones4U - will probably have to go back to manufacturers as the local branch don't seem to want to know. He's now bought a new phone - a Samsung Galaxy S and it is so much better than the HTC - in fact I'm quite tempted myself. Another three family members/friends have also said they're going to get one - naturally they'll avoid Phones4U so really they've lost a few customers.

Hi casey,

Whilst this's disappointing to hear I'm pleased to see that he's managed to get a phone which he's happy with.

In this instance there's not really a great deal which the HTC can do unless the device is faulty and in that case any repairs would need to be arranged via Phones 4U.

Naturally, should you or your family and friends require any assistance in regard to an upgrade they're welcome to get in touch with me.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee,

Thanks again for your input. He is delighted with his new phone but the thing is that he would never have even thought about a new phone until he took his old one in to be repaired and was persuaded to take out the new one which he was not happy with. It does not work properly - however Phones4u don't want to know - I think they think he's trying it on because he tried first to exchange the phone so now it seems he's stuck with a phone that doesn't work properly - keeps switching itself off so he's bought the new phone and stuck with the old one without being able to sell it expect perhaps for scrap value which really should not happen with a phone just a couple of weeks old.

I'm not very good with phones or with confrontation but my daughter will be back in five weeks and maybe she will go in with him - she's more insistent than I am. In the meantime, my son is a full time student whose seasonal job is just coming to an end so guess who will be picking up the bill!!!