• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Repossession and Eviction by HSBC. URGENT hearing tomorrow - **RESOLVED SATISFACTORILY**

Zaq
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son was evicted on Wednesday 25th Aug. It came as as surprise. He hadn't been aware of any proceedings against him. He works too hard, is often away, and admits doesn't always read his mail properly.

He'd been overpaying regularly from the start of the mortgage in June 05 until May 08. Then he'd not pay anything for months and then the odd thousand. So he did know he was in arrears.

In May 2010 he negotiated with the bank's solicitors to pay £1,000/mnth. He paid £2,000 in May, £1,000 end of May and end July with another £1,000 going out 27th Aug.

On the 26th he managed to speak to HSBC, who said their records say they were expecting £1,000 in addition to the mortgage repayment of £460/mnth (i.e. £1460 ), considered he had broken the terms of the agreement so got an eviction order.

We got some paperwork from the court which shows they got a possession order in Sept 2008. They say he had arrears of £5,605. He was unaware of tall of thiis, can't remember getting letters & so wasn't at the hearing. (He was back and forth to the States a lot that year & it may well have all got buried in pile of mail.)

There have been numerous errors and corrections by HSBC on his mortgage account. The solicitor's statement submitted for the possession order says his last payment was March 08, when in fact it was May 08 but the bank 'reversed' the payments made in April and May and so these have not been credited to his account.

We put in a N244 on Friday 27th requesting access to the property, and that the possession order be set aside.

We'd like help in how to put our case to the judge at this hearing so he can get the house back.

He now has his parents on board. We'll help financially and help him organise his finances. He works freelance in the Motorsport industry, often forgets to invoice for work done, has a fluctuating income, but should be able to make £2,5000/mnth if he puts in the invoices properly and gets paid. His expenses are around £614/mnth.

How can we persuade the judge that things are different now and he won't default again?

So far our plan is-

-I ( his mother) am prepared to act as his secretary to raise invoices.

-His parents will pay for a book-keeper for him.

-I've suggest he & I open a joint bank account for the mortgage repayments, so the money is ring fenced. He + parents put money in, and I have oversight of that account.

-All bank correspondence, and letters from their solicitor, come to me.

Should we make an offer to the bank at the hearing? Or do we just give the judge information about income and expenditure ( which we did send with the n244) and leave it to them to decide?

We're awaiting a date of the hearing.

No-one has told us about what happens to the debt, does he still have to pay the bank money regardless of all this?

Thanks for help.

Zaq

If he can show that he has a 'regular' income and that he can afford the mortgage 'and' the arrears, he will need to show this in black and white. It's not the amounts that are important but the making a payment 'every' month that would be likely to sway things.

He will need a bank account and should open one before he approaches the court.

If the repossession stands, the bank will sell the house, usually at auction, and bill him for any shortfall between the price received and the amount outstanding.

Thanks, that's helpful.

He has worked for the same person for the last few months, albeit on a freelance basis, but it does mean a regular income. Except he hasn't invoiced the chap, so hasn't actually been getting paid. He'll put the invoices in this morning.

I've asked him to get a letter from the chap to say he is now working regularly there.

He has a bank account, but not much has been going in. Will the court need to see his bank statements?

The court WILL be interested in the payment history, they would be fools not to. I bet the overpayments haven't been taken into account properly and that a load of charges (which can be reclaimed) have been added.

Make a list of all the payments made and tie it up with the statement which should be part of the repossession proceedings, if it isn't apparent what they have done ask for more time to see the documents the mortgage company have.

Mortgage companies are notorious for employing local junior solicitors and instructing them to go for repossession only with no other option. I wouldn't mind betting your son is actually well in advance of his payments.....

Good luck with this and don't let the negative poster put you off. I've been through this in the last three years and fought off repossession six times, with arrears LESS than yours. In the end both companies involved in my mortgage/second loan ended up in administration due to malpractices.

Hearing set for 7th September.

Gives us time to get the paperwork together, but means poor son camping out in spare room for longer.

There seem to be numerous errors in bank paperwork. Starting with a letter for immediate and full payment, and threatening court, before there were any arrears at all.

The arrears are about £9,000 now. He has, realistically, about £600 spare a month. If payments are £460 month, how much is it reasonable to offer per month to pay off arrears? Would £200 a month for arrears be OK? The mortgage still has 20yrs to go.

As I said you need to claim back all of the charges, as it is a repossession he should really have the hearing earlier than the 7th, try to get one THIS week instead of next, there is only so much time before the company can put the house on the market.

You can use all sorts of ammunition against them, including the fact that he works away from home a lot and therefore is very vulnerable....

Ok. Will do.

There's a charge for solicitor's fees on their claim for possession form, so we'll claim for that.

But when my son phoned them to ask about fees or charges they said there weren't any and that the current debt is just the normal loan interest + arrears. Could that be true?

He's keeping the bank and the solicitors informed of everything. So they know a hearing is coming up. Could they still put the house on the market?

Yes, I agree with sillygirl the court will want to know about income and what prospects there will for repayment. I am rather surprised the Bank didnt agree to reschedule the arears over the remaining length of the mortgage given there are still 20 years left.

If you put all you have said above into a statement, backed up with statements etc then it should be taken seriously. New laws allow for courts to look at repossession as a last resort not a first get out for the banks. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

He's keeping the bank and the solicitors informed of everything. So they know a hearing is coming up. Could they still put the house on the market?

If you have put in an application for a set aside submitted, I think they should put a hold on any sale. But SG seems to know more about that side of things.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They have 21 days from the time of the initial possession to get a case for sale ready,once this deadlin has passed that is it, no more getting your property back. Your son should be given access in that time to get his possessions out, if he hasn't already. If he doesn't get this then he can put that in a statement as well, stating they have been unreasonable and clearly want all his possessions, whether they have any material value or not, or whether they belong to him or other family members.

I had personal experience of this nearly four years ago (October 12th) and have helped a couple of people since keep their property.

You can also ask at the hearing that bearing in mind the state of the property market the prospects of getting the real value back are zilch so they may as well let your son stay there and make payments.

I would offer £150 as additional payment, on condition that no further fees are added.

Stay off the phone as they will lie and cheat their way to what is not due to them, arrears ALWAYS attract additional fees so it is highly likely these have been added, there will be more than one lot of solicitors fees, charges and disbursements to claim back.

I will do what I can over the next few days to help but am at work during 8.30 to 4.30 and might not always be able to get onto the site.

There is another member of this site I can alert to your sons case who is far more adept than I am at getting reposessions overturned. I will see if I can alert her to the problem (I think she might be on holiday as I haven't seen any recent posts)

He's already been evicted. The order of possession was 23 Sept 2008. Does that make a difference?

So how do we find out the truth about the fees and charges? There is nothing on the statement of the mortgage account. It has one entry for fees, the rest says 'debit interest'.

The mortgage interest on the statement is entered as' interest' then on 1 August 2008 it changes to 'debit interest'. Is that significant?

This is what I've drafted for the hearing- what do you think?

I am the defendant in this case and respectfully request the court to consider the following information which is supplementary to that contained with my N244 application.

The claimant issued a demand for immediate payment on 23 May 2008, when there were no arrears – please see appendix 1 (copy of letter)

The arrears arose after June 2008 because I was not paid for work done in the last half of 2008, and my income became irregular.

I have paid a total of £8000 into the account between 19 Dec 2008 and 31 July 2010 - please see appendix 2. ( copy of mortgage account statement)

I am now working regularly- please see appendix 3 ( letter from person he works for)

I am confident that I am now in a position to make the regular normal monthly repayments and £150 per month towards the arrears.

I respectfully request the court take into account the case of Cheltenham and Glouceter v Norgan and s.36 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 when considering the proposal for payment of arrears.

I wish to bring to the court’s attention that I am unable to reconcile the arrears figure given by the claimant as charges are included, the amount due on the payment history differs from the amount on my account statement, and my payments on 1 April 2008 and 1 May 2008 have not been credited the account- please see appendix 4,5 and 6. (page of claim form on which charges appear, schedule of payment submitted to court by claimant and page from my mortgage account statement, page from my mortgage account statement.)

I assure the court that I am committed to clearing the arrears and respectfully ask that the order for possession is set aside.

I believe the above to be true and factual.

I would just like to mention I was NOT being negative!! Speaking from recent (a week ago) experience with the Court and District Judges and on previous occasions although I took my bank statements they were not interested.

I would take everything that you have to back up your case, rather take too much than not enough.

Good luck.

I think it varies from court to court and judge to judge, some judges I saw wanted every piece of paper imaginable, including my work contract and last six months bank statements, other judges didn't bother and just said "suspended for a further three months".

I think in view of the current pre court protocols the old case should be set aside and the repossession overturned. You need to make that clear in your statement, that the reposession has actually happened and left your son homeless. It doesn't seem clear from the statement you have done above.

As it is HSBC not knowing them I can't comment but it sounds like their administration has screwed up, paying £1000 when there is a mortgage of £460 is a LOT on top so somewhere they haven't taken this into account..... I still think the additional repossession charges should be annulled as part of the original set aside.

Would it be possible for your son to rent the property whilst he is away for long periods or are they too erratic, in which case maybe a lodger is a good idea, overseen by you of course.

Edited by sillygirl1
Missed a bit out...

I'll redraft the document to say he's already been evicted.

They didn't credited 4 months of repayment to his account, prior to taking action. On the bank's claim form the date of last payment is out by 2 months, and arrears figures are don't take into account 4 months repayment .

Getting a lodger in is a good idea, he's done it before.

Went to see a solicitor yesterday to try and get some clarity on all of this. He basically said the whole account is in a big mess, (which it is ) and to give the judge an easy decision by saying my son can pay the normal monthly and clear the arrears.

We've only got 5 mins! How's this?

I respectfully request the court to consider the following information

• I was evicted on 25 August 2010.

• I only came to know of the order of possession, dated 23 September 2008, on 27 August 2010. I acted promptly and made an immediate application for a hearing.

• At the end of May 2008 I encountered financial difficulties due to non-payment of work carried out, and my income became irregular. I communicated with the claimant, and explained there would be difficulty making the regular repayments.

• Nevertheless, I have paid £8,750 into the account since then.

I have kept the claimant updated regarding my circumstances.

I responded promptly to a letter from the claimant’s solicitors received in May 2010. I agreed payment to reduce the arrears. I have paid £4,750 between 24 May 2010 and 31August 2010. I have complied as far as I have understood the agreement,

• I am now working regularly. I am confident that I can make the regular normal monthly repayments. I can clear the arrears with a lump sum payment.

• I wish to bring to the court’s attention that I am unable to reconcile the arrears figure given by the claimant, in particular because the payments of 1 August 07, 1 October 07, 1 April 2008 and 1 May 2008 have not been credited to my account.

I assure the court that I am committed to clearing the arrears and respectfully ask that the order for possession is set aside.

I believe the above to be true and factual

Now realised the 4 uncredited months are actually bounced DDs so here's the next draft...

• I only came to know of the order of possession, dated 23 September 2008, on 27 August 2010. I acted promptly and made an immediate application for a hearing.

• At the end of May 2008 I encountered financial difficulties due to non-payment of work carried out, and my income became irregular. I communicated with the claimant and explained my financial circumstances.

I was working abroad frequently in 2008. I kept the claimant updated regarding my circumstances.

I responded promptly to a letter from the claimant’s solicitors received in May 2010. I agreed payment, the amount to include repayment and a reduction of arrears. I have complied as far as I have understood the agreement. I have paid £4,750 between 24 May 2010 and 31August 2010.

• I am working regularly. I am confident that I can make the monthly repayments. On 26 August 2010 the claimant informed me these are £460 a month.

• I can clear the arrears with a lump sum payment. The claimant informed me on 31 August 2010 that the arrears are £9,132.64.

• I wish to bring to the court’s attention that I am unable to reconcile the arrears figure given by the claimant as charges are included.

• I wish to bring to the court’s attention the claimant’s letter dated 23 May 2008 demanding full and immediate repayment.

The letter 23 May 2008 was from HSBC - after he'd missed 2 months. Does this muddy the waters? Should we just concentrate on the arrears given how short a time we have?

Edited by Zaq

My son was evicted 25 Aug 2010. He didn't attend hearing 23 Sept 2008 as didn't know any thing about it and in any case was out of the country.

The Hearing we applied for under N244 is tomorrow- for 5 mins. He's the draft statement.

• At the end of May 2008 I encountered financial difficulties due to non-payment of work carried out, and my income became irregular. I communicated with the claimant and explained my financial circumstances.

I was working abroad frequently in 2008. I kept the claimant updated regarding my circumstances.

I responded promptly to a letter from the claimant’s solicitors received in May 2010. I agreed payment, the amount to include repayment and a reduction of arrears. I have complied as far as I have understood the agreement. I have paid £4,750 between 24 May 2010 and 31August 2010.

• I am working regularly. I am confident that I can make the monthly repayments. On 26 August the claimant informed me these are £460 a month.

• I can clear the arrears with a lump sum payment. The claimant informed me on 31 August 2010 that the arrears are £9,132.64.

• I wish to bring to the court’s attention that I am unable to reconcile the arrears figure given by the claimant as charges are included.

• I wish to bring to the court’s attention the claimant’s letter dated 23 May 2008 demanding full and immediate repayment.

Does the letter 23 May 2008 from HSBC, after 2 months missed, just muddy the waters? Or worth putting in as shows poor handling/ no negotiation with son.

Yes, it is well worth showing them up for rapidly forcing an eviction without any negotiation. Good luck with this and I hope the whole thing gets overturned and the property restored to your son.

If you get the opportunity try to go for some additional costs of alternative accommodation, stress etc if the judge asks. Don't just bring it up otherwise the judge might change their mind....

Zaq, I noticed you started a new thread in a different forum, but for the same issue. It is best to keep everything regarding this in the one thread.

Both threads have now been merged.

When is the hearing ?

BCOBS

No problem at all.. :)

BCOBS

Your tactic worked anyway, cos SG areplied:) I would agree with her comments below.

Yes, it is well worth showing them up for rapidly forcing an eviction without any negotiation. Good luck with this and I hope the whole thing gets overturned and the property restored to your son.

If you get the opportunity try to go for some additional costs of alternative accommodation, stress etc if the judge asks. Don't just bring it up otherwise the judge might change their mind....

BCOBS

Success

We went to the hearing and learnt -

-The laws changes once an order has been executed. So once my son had been evicted, setting aside the order of possession was not a legal option.

-Getting entry once evicted is very rare.

-Money talks.

When we turned up a lawyer for the other side took us into a room to say he'd been instructed to oppose us and allow everything to stand. We offered to settle the arrears as a lump sum. He told us that we could have done that as any time, and then might have had a case. We had been told by the bank a number of times that we couldn't do this!

We insisted we had the funds available immediately and as that was a significantly different offer to the previous one of large monthly payments to cover arrears, he got onto the phone, and after a lot of horse trading back and forth, we settled on a sum that we ( I !) could afford and they would accept.

We then went into the judge with an agreement. He can get back into the house but if the lump sum is not paid and the monthly repayments are not made he's back to the process of being evicted. The judge accepted that and he added that this was a very unusual case.