Contract negotiation advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wonder if someone might be able to give me some advice regarding contract negotiations please?

I've recently had my first appraisal with the company I'm employed by, and they are looking to move me from the role I've been doing for 12 months into another that will inevitably have an impact on the commission structure that I'm entitled to as part of my existing employment contract.

They have admitted that they see that this may happen, and in negotiating my contract for at least the next 12 months, have proposed to keep me on the same commission and give me a £1000 pay rise.

I am planning to go back to them and tell them that I do not accept this as the commission I have earned over the last 12 months has increased my earnings by £8000 for the year and a £1000 pay rise doesn't cut it.

I have suggested that they increase my basic salary by £8k, and cease my commission, but I am expecting them to not agree to this.

Looking into contract law, all I can find is information that the two parties need to negotiate until a settlement is agreed, or you have to state (in writing?) that you do not accept the changes (particularly if you have to start working in that role?), and there's a whole other business about if they get rid of you in lieu of not accepting the changed contract.

Can anyone out there please shed a little more light on what happens if the two parties don't reach an agreement, and if the company doesn't fire you or make you redundant please? It all seems incredibly vague!

Thanks,

Chris.

Sounds like you have them where you want them!! They want you to move presumably because they feel you will do a better job for them in the new role. Your research into contracts is basically right. You have skills to sell they want those skills and both parties negotiate the best deal they can, otherwise there is no deal. Assuming they don't want to dismiss you (they don't have grounds to in any case) if you can't come to an agreement then you should just remain in your current post.

You could try and get a pay assimilation with someone that would be on a comparable job description within the company. If you are going into a management role why not ask for the same pay as a comparable manager (getting proof of the salary!!) and in any case not lower than your current salary + commission. ??