Jump to content

Dont know if anyone can advise me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


i dont know if im in the right area here, but ill give it a try in the hope someone can offer advice.


Im currently living in private rent, have been here since oct last year and my contract is due to end on 7th oct this year.

Its an onging thing so i can stay on a month to month basis after that date.


When i moved here i was unemployed, having just lost my previous house because of rent arrears. I have a daughter and this was the first one that came up - so i took it.


In feb this year i started work to get me back on track, i have no rent arrears here at all.


The problem is, i work 12 miles away from here and now my daughter is starting high school sept. As my job is full time i have put her in a high school that is about 10 mins from where i work.

I really need to move nearer work and school, it would benefit me anyhow as i would be able to work and could get rid of the car.


At the moment its costing me around £125 a month in petrol, my rent is £430 a month (after housing benefit this is what i have to pay). I obviously have arrears from my old place of which the bulk is council tax of £100 a month plus anothother £50 a month because when i started work the changover threw up an overpayment of c/tax benefit), plus i have this years council tax which is £126 month.


On top of all that there is the usual utilities, school lunches, clothing/uniform etc etc - im sure you know.


Iv been on the council housing list for 3 years now but im in a band 4 (no housing need), I did go to see the housing options team 2 weeks ago to explain my situation, and the lady said they would look at getting me moved up a band - i havent heard anything!


I have a deposit tied up in this house of £500.


I cannot find a rental through an agents - some dont accept children or a dog. They want to run a credit check for a fee (which i wont pass, so my money will go un-refunded).

I cant afford to pull out another deposit of £500 and i wont get this one back until i move!


There are no private landlords around here (i cant find any) and even if there were, again i cant afford the deposit.


The agency that im with at the moment were given to me by the housing options team last year and they dont have any properties available that is within my price range, they are all way too expensive.


Would anyone be able to advise me on my rights or what i can do or what the council can do. Whenever i go there they seem to fob me off, and im not sure what my rights are or what buttons are best to press.


My daughter will be starting school next week, the only option i have is to take a late lunch and collect her and take her back to work with me, This could result in my job going and i dont want to lose it before i have found a more suitable one that would allow me to work less hours.


Many thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

The current situation is that you are adequately housed and the reason that you want to move (to be nearer to where you work/daughter goes to school) is very unlikely to put you in a band where you have a chance of getting offers of Council/HA properties.


Things that would move you to a higher band tend to be homelessness or being threatened with homelessness in the near future, needing to move due to your current property being too small, living in insanitary conditions, needing to move due to a medical condition, being vulnerable (mental health, learning disability, etc), fleeing from violence, etc.


The Council's letting policy should be available from their website if not request a copy. This will tell you more about their banding and how they assess people.


You could also ask them if they have any details for landlords in the area you want to move to and if they run a deposit loan scheme.


Some Housing Associations get their new tenants from the Council's waiting list and others have their own list. Get in touch with the HAs in your area to see if they run their own list and if they do apply directly to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for advice.

I am under doctor at the moment and awaiting another appt wed, I also live with my ex.

Its not an ideal situation as he refuses to work, hides my post and generally tries to get me into trouble whenever he can.

This is what happened in my previous property which led to eviction, i went to the council then but they couldnt help me as they said i was intentionally homeless and gave me tel number of private landlords. I had to beg the deposit from my ex in laws, but it came with conditons i took their son with me - hence my situation.


But i will take your advice and keep looking to see whatever i can get asap, failing that i will have to give up my employment, which i dont want to do, but i just cannot afford carry on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to reiterate Aviva's post above, he is spot on.


Social landlords are there to provide housing to those in need - i.e. those in a homeless situation, or in danger of becoming homeless.


They are not there to provide a service that allows those in need to live in a location they desire.


All you can do is wait it out.


Have you signed up with housing associations as well as the council? And do you have any CCJs?


You do however have my sympathies, as I understand the situation. In particular, as someone who had to live with their ex recently following a split (albeit relatively amicable), I fully understand just what a nightmare such a living situation can be. And as I say ours was amicable!

7 years in retail customer service


Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years


By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.


Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


Please click the star if I have helped!!

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...