buying a vehicle not as described - where i stand??

aayre2005
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4669 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, a few days ago i bought a car. the car was advertised as excellent condition etc. i went to look at this car and ended up buying it for £5000. i was happy with the deal and signed the v5 document so i could be registered owner.

in the meantime ive noticed this seller on ebay has started selling cat D cars so i thort i would run a HPi check on the car i have bought. yes i know i should have done it before!!! anyhow mine has came back Cat D. the next thing is the car on the V5 document says it belongs to lease plan. they have their own website http://www.leaseplan.co.uk. im going to contact them tomorow.

he should not be able to have cars that is not registered under his name should he? i would have thought lease plan would have sold the car and filled the V5 document in.

I have not contacted the seller as yet.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have moved this to the motoring forum for more views

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

The alarm bells should be ringing whe your friend has to ring about "one of his cars" that are up for sale - unless he is having a fire sale of his own cars, then he is almost certainly a trader, and that is crucial - as a private seller, he does not have to declare that the car is cat d but as a trader he has commited a criminal offence if he does not say in the advert it is cat d -now, the rest is up to you - if the car is good and it's price reflects that it's a cat d (should be about 20- 25% less than normal) then you should report him to consumer direct and move on - if you have been ripped off, report him to consumer direct, stop using the car and search on thiis forum for the procedure for rejecting the car - be prepared for the long haul for getting your money back though

He is a trader. No doubt whatsoever. Cat D car is work 40% less than normal, not 25% less. Insurance will only pay out maximum of 60% if it is stolen etc. So, if it cost a penny more than 60% of its usual price, you have been stictched up like a kipper.

Was the car in the sellers name and at the same address? When did they buy it according to the V5c?

The V5 was in the previous sellers name. this seller has not registered the car under his name what so ever. I went to see the guy yesterday and he is just saying sold as seen and not budging. i have got it recorded him saying hes a private seller but also that he buys cars on a regular occasion to sell them to make a living as he is jobless.

when the car was originally advertised on ebay i did not win the car. however i got a message saying the buyer was not legit and didnt want to buy. so i bought it. Yesterday i got in touch with this other buyer who did not buy it, he left a negative feedback saying the car was not as described! he is willing to confirm that the seller knw it was cat D when selling it.

Excellent! That is what we are ALL here for.

The seller is 100% a dealer. I know that because I used to be one and know every trick in the book. If the car was not registered to him, then he is selling as a trader. He has admitted selling cars regularly. If anyone sells more than 3 cars ina 12 month period, trading stadards regard them as a trader. The fact he has admitted selling cars to make some money also confirms he is a dealer.

Moving on, the seller sold the car through ebay. the purchaser found the car to be not as described and didn't buy. Cruicially, this purchaser confirms that the seller was aware of the car being a write off. That will be critical to get in writing.

The seller will no doubt have trade insurance. Police can check this easily and so can trading standards.

So, back to basics. What is this sellers Ebay name. Don't worry - it is public information and you will not be on there as a buyer anyway. I need to look at their history.

Hi, i would prefer not to give out his username on here if you dont mind. Ive just bought a item of his so i could leave a negative to warn other ebayers and ive noticed hes no longer a registered user!

this is his previous feedback: BUYERS BEWARE . CON MAN, SELLS UNDECLARED WRITE OFFS .. TRADER BUT DENIES IT !!,

What a really nice, genuine bloke! Top ebayer! A+++++

spot on will buy again

top ebayer AAA+++

item was not described accurately. the car was an undeclared insurance write-off

they are all private listings, i left the top feedback. so do you think i have got a strong case with trading standards, I have got the recorded phonecall msg of my friend pretending he is interested in another one of his rip off cars and he says hes a private seller but also states he sells regular to make a living due to been out of work.

Thank you :-)

That's fine, if you don't want to give his details.

This lowlife will no doubt be on benefits too. Make sure you mention that to the housing benefit office - nothing to hide, nothing to worry about!

Trading standards will jump all over him. he is a trader and once they establish that he is in VERY hot water and faces a maximum fine of £5,000 plus 6 months imprisonment.

he has clearly soldf at least two cars, both of which were write offs and both were not decalred as such. A pattern emerges.

i am phoning trading standards in the morning, ill be getting the vehicle stored and sorned untill there is a outcome with any court case. I have already contacted fraud about any benefits he be be getting. Judst hopefully i end up eventually getting my £5000 back and hopefully he dont rip any1 else of in the future. His ebay account is no longer registered but he has not sold 3 cards he had for sale on there. 2 of whihc were mentioned CAT D and 1 that wasnt. But im sure he will be trying to trade in another ebay name so im keeping an eye out for them cars :-)

• 9 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.