Advice Needed: Moving house while claming Supporrt for Mortgage Interest?

Paige12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to advise me.

I am in receipt of DLA and husband gets income support and carers allowance. We get smi mortgage payments for our interest-only mortgage.

I have been advised by my drs that where I am living is not suitable and I have finally decided that they are right and I would like to move.

We contacted our mortgage company today. We kept being told to ring back and we spoke to 3 different advisors who all had different opinions as to whether it would be possible to port our mortgage to another property.

The new property would be smaller and we would need much less of a mortgage than we have currently.

One of the advisors we spoke with said that normally porting a mortgage on benefits wouldn't be possible but there was special criteria for someone who needed to move due to medical reasons.

However, the final person we spoke with disagreed and was certain that in order to port a mortgage to a different property, a new application would need to be done. She said that we wouldn't be allowed to port on our current income which is solely made up of benefits.

When we asked what to do, she said our options were to either stay put where we are or sell up and rent instead.

We are not sure what info to believe and wondered if anyone knows if they are indeed correct and we have no hope of porting our mortgage while on benefits?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...