Jump to content



style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

About 8 weeks ago my mother in law offered my daughter her car as a gift for gettin into Uni. She was in the middle of moving house and said she would sort the documents out for us. Stupidly I forget all about it until about 3 weeks ago. I asked my mother in law if she had found them and sha hadn't so I got the form from the Post office and sent it of with my chq for £25.

The car was due to be taxed on the 31st Aug so I thought I would check with the DVLA. So I rang them they told me that until thay had receiived details from my mother in law of the change it would not be completed. I asked her and she told us that she had sent a letter a week ago.


To cut a long story short I have tried everyday for the last 7 days trying to tax my car. They say without the vehicle document number thay cannot issue me with a tax disc. This evening I thought I woild try again to see if the registration had gone through and I was told it will go through on Monday, but the documents will not be with me for another 5 days. This will mean that I loose 11 days of tax. They know I am the new keeper, they know it is mot and insured but they can't tax it because I do not have the document in front of me. So until I physically have this document I can't tax the car. Then I have been told that even when I do get the documents I will not be able to tax the car as I have not notified tham that the car has been SORN. But I have not been the legal owner of the vehicle so how could I have sorned the car 0 my mother in law ceased to be the owner 10 days ago so how could she sorn the car.


I have never come accross such a bunch of idiots in all my time. Surely there must be easier ways to do things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your M-in-Law was shown on the previous V5 (even though she has misplaced it) then she should have received a VED reminder letter a couple of weeks ago regarding re-taxing it. You can use that document which has it's own 10 digit reference number to tax it online provided the car has current MOT and insurance which they can check electronically.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand the point about not being able to tax the car because you didnt declare SORN. Who has offered you this advice?


The easiest way to approach this would have been for your mother in law to have requested a replacement v5c registration document. DVLA would have issued this in 2/3 weeks maximum. Your daughter could then have taken this to the post office and taxed the vehicle and notified the change of keeper in one transaction.


If DVLA are to issue the v5c registration document to your daughter on Monday she should be able to visit her nearest DVLA office on Tuesday and tax the vehicle. They will be able to verify she is the registered keeper by checking their records. She will need her MOT, insurance and ID.


Are you trying to retax online or by phone? I would visit your nearest on Tuesday and they should be able to resolve the matter.

Edited by 'the dude'
Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to be the RK or have the green slip. They don't have the green slip so the RK will either have to apply or they will have to wait until they get the new V5c.


In the meantime the scumoffice that is the DVLA will now try to pursue the RK for not taxing or SORNing the car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The VED for the car has never arrived at her old address or the new address. That would have made life so much easier.


Yesterday I contacted the DVLA to find out when I can expect to receive the new log book - 4-5 working days after monday I was told, then she told me that I would still not be able to tax the car because I had not sorn the car in the first place. She said as the car was of the road from the 1st September I should have informed them I was taking the car of the road. But I didn't take the car of the road I was told I can't drive it. I don't understand this ladies logic.


I am not able to go to my local office to tax the car as I can't drive it without tax and it is a 120 mile trip. I just can't believe that this is so difficult to sort out.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...