• Tweets

• Hello and welcome to CAG. People should be along to advise over the course of the day.   Which retailer are we talking about please?   By the way, something seems to have gone wrong with the spacing in your post above so I've popped in some paragraphs.   Best, HB
    • I'm after some advice before I fill in and return the section 172 "request for driver name and address".  I am the registered keeper of the vehicle stated .   The alleged offence (Exceeding variable Motorway speed limit 68mph in a 60mph zone) was committed on 29/07/2020, the NIP is dated 31/07/2020.  On Wednesday the 29th July 2020 a friend and I were driving for a much needed break from South Wales to spend a few days in Yorkshire, we shared the driving for the 4.5 hour journey at just over an hour at a time each.    My problem is this, 1.I have no idea of the location or recollection of the place to which the police refer (M1 Northbound Duckmanton Derbyshire?)  and 2. I cannot say with any accuracy which of us were the driver at that particular time.  I have a clean driving licence and am usually very speed aware using the cruise control at most times.   an offence for a mere 8mph on a motorway with everything that is going on at the moment seems extremely harsh IMO.     I would much appreciate if anyone could offer help / advice at what I should do next? Many thanks  🙁
    • Hello just asking,? I purchased a discount new cooker as it had cosmetic damage, paid £250 After a few days I noticed the fan never went off, I contacted the company and they finally collected the cooker and took it away, ( for 7 days) And fixed it,   It never seamt right? It steamed up in the clock panel and the oven door was mis-lined It had multiple dints in the sides Top panel missing on the door to stop food dropping in, Shelving didn’t fit well Then main fan started to rattle and tap   I put up with all this as it was *discounted Then one day whilst cooking we could smell a funny smell Turns out the wires had melted on the back of cooker I contacted the company again and it took a lot of phone calls to try and get the problem dealt with, speaking to several different staff....I wanted a refund or replacement I had had the cooker 6 months just! I asked for a refund or replacement    I contacted trading standards and citizens advice and they advised me what steps to take! Finally the company offered to replace the cooker, then later changed! As they explained that nothing came in to replace it they were too damaged! ( been told they buy at auction damaged) They wanted to look at the cooker and inspect the damage themselves, so I agreed they collected the cooker, No update, or communication I had to constantly chase them up Nothing was sorted out with 7 days we had no cooker, I threatened Trading standards were now involved Last thing on a Friday in June they rang to say I can collect the cooker it’s fixed!!!! I had expressed all along I didn’t feel safe using this cooker anymore with my family I didn’t want this cooker fixing again ( by whom) They started to blame me and said I should be grateful they aren’t charging me for the repair!   Still today in August this is not resolved  Trading standards have been useless  Citizens advice have told me to take them to small claims court!???? I have had to purchase another cooker  As I’ve been left without one.   I am in a vulnerable situation in life, Im a carer for my husband and have children and have no one to help me sort this mess out! I am struggling with making the county court claim ? What shall I do?   ( sorry for long message) ✨
    • The committee's report is pretty damning, isn't it? The Home Office refused to supply the scientific evidence it said its decisions were based on and you can possibly see Demonic's hand in this - he has form for ignoring select committees.
    • and that facts start to come out 'Inexplicable' failure to quarantine travellers to the UK made pandemic 'far worse', say MPs UK ‘almost unique’ in rejecting border checks in crucial March period – without scientific basis – as hundreds of infected passengers arrived every day   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-uk-quarantine-travel-cases-deaths-covid-a9653451.html   "Strikingly, it says the Home Office refused to set out any scientific advice to explain the “grave error”, despite repeatedly promising to do so – a stance attacked as “completely unacceptable”."   So even aside from not testing in any way people who returned: "Yvette Cooper, the committee’s chair, said the critical mistake was the decision on 13 March – 10 days before lockdown – “to remove all self-isolation guidance for travellers arriving in the UK”."   "The MPs also pour scorn on the Home Office’s argument that 99.9 per cent of arrivals are obeying requirements to quarantine for two weeks, finally introduced in June. They describe the claim, made by home secretary Priti Patel as “unreliable”, because it appeared to be based only a limited number of compliance checks made and three fines issued."       So not only did Johnsons cronies NOT make any efforts whatsoever to test people returning, and NOT properly check people were self isolating, they actually stopped telling returnees to self isolate for 10 days before the country was locked down as the number of epidemic infections exploded.   Wonder why?   "The committee’s inquiry heard that, in the crucial 10 days between scrapping isolation guidance and the lockdown, up to 10,000 infected people arrived."  
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 8 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Hoonercat

Currys are an absolute disgrace

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3582 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I will try to make this as short as possible.

28th July I bought a Beko Fridge Freezer at Currys Crayford. 2 weeks later the water dispenser leaked, flooding my kitchen (big dispenser, small kitchen, bad idea). Tested it overnight with a small amount of water and it leaked again. Phoned Currys customer service and was told to contact Beko and tell them I wanted an exchange. Did this on 16th August and received an email back saying they could send me a new dispenser or speak to retailer for exchange.

Currys 28 day policy on faulty items is quite clear: customer will be given the option of repair, refund or exchange. There are no t&Cs attached to this on either the website or the blurb that came with purchase.

Went into the store on 21st August and told them I'd like an exchange for a different fridge freezer as I had no faith in the water dispenser (if it failed after 2 weeks then the new one could do the same). I was refunded £299.99, this was put towards a new Samsung unit as well as extra payment from myself to cover the extra cost of the Samsung, delivery was arranged for 31st August (10 days).

Phoned the store on the 30th and was told that the order had been cancelled the previous week. Sales assistant said that Beko had cancelled it and I would have to speak with 'Sue' at Currys the next day. Sue phoned me the next day and said that Beko had blocked the exchange as the dispenser was a 'replaceable part'. Phone Beko and quoted Currys 28 day policy, they said that was Currys policy, not theirs, and if Currys had agreed to an exchange then they should honour it. Also said that they have no powers to stop the exchange, Sue had cancelled it.:-x

Phoned Currys, reminded Sue of Currys wording regarding faulty items in 28 days, she wasn't interested. She then told me that it was outside the 28 day period, I corrected her and she checked the paperwork, said 'Well, it was nearly 28 days'. She then went on to say that she's left a message for me on my answerphone (which I replied to) but because the reply was outside the 28 days that meant the 28 day policy was void. Told her she was now being ridiculous, fault was first reported to Currys 2 weeks after purchase. Phoned Customer Services, said their was nothing they could do but put me through to the Store Manager, next thing I'm speaking to Sue:madgrin:. Got nowhere, phoned Customer Service, he tried to tell me that I wasn't entitled to an exchange and started reading the wording, realized he was wrong, told me there was nothing customer services could do after he spoke to his supervisor (who wasn't available 2 minutes earlier when I'd ask to speak to him/her:mad2:.

Phoned Trading Standards who said that Currys were in breach of contract, write to the Store Manager. I started composing a letter and decide to ring the store to get Sue's full name, this was when I found out that she wasn't the store manager after all. This was yesterday, by now I'd had enough for the day so decided to leave it until today.

Phoned the store manger this morning, read him the policy wording (option of repair, refund and exchange) and he agreed that this was correct. Explained what had happened, he said he would speak to Sue and ring me back.

5pm and he hadn't called me so I phoned him. He tells me that the exchange was done outside of the 28 day policy:-x I corrected him, he checks the paperwork and agrees that it wasn't. BUT...we're now outside the 28 day period so I can't get an exchange. I tell him that's ridiculous, reminding him that he'd already agreed with the policy wording and that he was in breach of contract, he still refuses to do the exchange. He did, however, insist that he would like to refund me the extra money I had paid for the Samsung. I told him that this would be seen as me accepting the Beko unit and their terms, he said it wouldn't. I refused the refund telling him I would first take advice on the matter.

Sorry, I did try to keep it short. As far as I'm concerned, when, on the 21st August, the refund for the Beko was given to me and put towards the Sanyo, the Beko ceased to be my property. I have asked them to collect it and they have refused. If Currys have an issue with Beko's policy conflicting with theirs then that is their problem, not mine. They have also refused to deliver the Samsung unit that I have paid for. On top of that, both the store manager and Sue have lied to me with regards to the validity of the 28 day faulty item policy. They are in breach of contract, yet neither the store nor customer services seems to care.

I will send off the letter but cannot see how this will resolve the issue. What I'd like to know is what happens after this? Trading Standards have told me to get back in touch if it is not resolved but didn't tell me what would happen next, if anything. Do TS take up the case, or will I need to take Currys to court?

I know some may say I'm being unreasonable in not accepting a replacement water dispenser, but would you in the same circumstances? Would you be able to sleep soundly knowing that you could wake up to a flooded kitchen again? The attitude of the staff has made me even more determined to see this through, it's a disgraceful way to run a business:mad2:

Hi Hooner

I think it's perfectly O.K. for you to ask for a refund or exchange as you contacted them within the 28 day period. As well as the letter you've written, it might be

an idea to E-mail a complaint for the attention of the Chief Executive, mark it for his attention. Tell him of your customer service experience. Also make sure you

put cc. Trading Standards. Tell him that your angry and the matter has caused you distress. Make sure you get compensated for the time and trouble you've been put to. There are some template letters on the Consumer Direct site.

Consumer protection from unfair trading regulations is also useful

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

Not forgetting Supply of goods and services act

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

My advice would be to stop phoning them now, clearly the manager and Sue process little in the way of common sense.

Pursue it further in writing only and send everything via recorded delivery and make sure you keep your receipts ready to claim the postage costs back at a later point.

Following all this hassle I'd just get my money back and go elsewhere as I'd have zero confidence in them being able to deal with any future problems.

How did you pay?

This reminds me why I never purchase anything from Currys or Dixons...!

The guy upstairs seriously has a problem with me.. Nothing seems to go right!!!:|

Same Group I believe.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I've only once had a problem getting an exchange out of Currys - but they fell over themselves to sort things as soon as they got a solicitors letter saying that I was going to sue for the value of the goods plus compensation for damage caused & any costs incurred ...