Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3677 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I just received a PCN notice in the post.

I bought the car on the 14th of June 2010 although the V5 owners docs say I've owned the car since 12/06/2010. The seller filled in the docs and sent back to DVLA, I don't know whether they put the wrong date on accidental or deliberate (I just noticed the date the now).

Well basically I've got a parking ticket that was issued at a time I didn't own the car, I've never even been to the street that's listed on the PCN.

Is there any way around this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Have £20k+ in debt, seriously want to be debt free, currently in temporary accomodation and having business problems.

I just realised this is in the wrong section, can someone please move to the right section.

I do apologise :oops:

Have £20k+ in debt, seriously want to be debt free, currently in temporary accomodation and having business problems.

Do you have a receipt or other documentary proof of the date you bought the car? How did you pay for it?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I paid cash for the car with a deposit by Paypal.

I don't have a receipt but do have print outs of emails between me and the guy that I bought the car from to discuss delivery of the car to me on the 14th but none of the emails have the reg no on them or sellers details, only details relating to the car in the emails are the year, make and model.

I should have mentioned in the first post that the PCN issue date was the 12/06/2010

I don't even have an address for the person I bought the car from, all I have is the address of the previous registered keeper but I'm having my doubts there the same person.

Have you tried writing to the DVLA to get the V5 corrected?

Can you confirm who issued the PCN? In particular was it a council or is it private?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

The PCN was issued by the council.

I'm going to write a letter the now to the DVLA to inform them of the wrong date, but what's the chance of it being amended before the 28 days are up?

A friend has said I should just put previous owners address in the details of representation bit, only problem with that though is that I'm not 100% sure they were the person I bought the car off.

I bought the car on the 14th of June 2010 although the V5 owners docs say I've owned the car since 12/06/2010.

The V5 doesn't concern itself with ownership in any way shape or form.

It is concerned with recording the registered KEEPER (who may or may not be the owner)

In your case, I would return the PCN stating that you were not the owner at the time concerned and name the previous RK. If the Council wishes tp pursue, the burden of proof is on them to prove that you were the owner at the time.

The V5 doesn't concern itself with ownership in any way shape or form.

It is concerned with recording the registered KEEPER (who may or may not be the owner)

In your case, I would return the PCN stating that you were not the owner at the time concerned and name the previous RK. If the Council wishes tp pursue, the burden of proof is on them to prove that you were the owner at the time.

Be careful as under the law for PCNs the owner is presumed to be the keeper. It is a rebuttable presumption but the burden to prove otherwise is on the motorist not the council.

You would have signed and dated the section of the V5C committing yourself to be keeper from that date - can you recall whether your actually dated it correctly, or whether it was amended by the seller? It is not recommended to buy cars privately if the seller isn't the RK as it often can lead to problems....