how best to sell vehicle with fault

ben1977
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a 4 year old vehicle that has developed an electrical fault that is only noticeable some of the time.

I took it to the garage today and was quoted £500+ for the repair so am now thinking about getting rid of it.

If I part exchange the vehicle for a newer one, should I be honest about the fault or, if they don't spot it, don't mention it? If I choose not to tell them about it, what comeback to they have once it has been part-exchanged?

The vehicle is still roadworthy and basically the fault is annoying rather than dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben

Of course, you should declare it to the dealer who is taking it in P/Ex, but whether they tell the possible new owner is anyone's guess. They pay simply arrange a trade disposal in which case the fault may not be relevant (many garages don't want the hassle and dispose anyway) on low value trade-ins. If in your shoes, I'd disclose if a private sale, but not otherwise.

Ben1977 I think you should simply ask yourself a question before making a decision.

How would you feel if you paid hard earned cash for that vehicle without knowing about the fault?

If you would say "ok, i've been had, i'll chalk that one up to experience" then go ahead, but ....

If you would feel cheated and would come on here asking for advice....don't!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...