Bought Used car with dodgy MOT and huge repair bill!

jools02

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a used car 3 weeks ago from a used car dealer for £1500. It was 'sold as seen' with no warranty. They had their own in-house MOT and as such the car came with a full MOT. My exhaust pipe snapped this week and I took the car to Kwikfit who have given me a long list of problems which need sorting amounting to over £1100! I could only afford to have a few things done and now have the car back but have been advised that the other things need doing asap as they are in the red advisory section of the vehicle report they have given me. I asked the guy at Kwikfit whether it should have passed the MOT with these problems and he said no, it should never have passed an MOT.

What on earth should I do? Should I get the problems sorted and go back to the garage to recoup the cost of repairs? Can I report them to VOSA? I just can't afford to fix the problems and now have an unroadworthy car which I don't feel safe putting my children in.

Great, thanks for your reply, do they have to fix it themselves? Because I don't trust them to do it properly. Or can I have it done somewhere I trust and have them pay for it. Problem is, if I do that, what if they refuse to pay?

Thanks all. I've decided to get a second opinion on the faults before I go back to the dealer. I'm reluctant to reject the car as I've just had to spend £690 today getting the exhaust/cat converter and tyres replaced.

Why did you not ask the dealer to fix them for you?

I would have but I am visiting family 250 miles away from where it was bought and had to get it fixed here as the cat converter had completely sheared away and the car was undriveable.

• 1 month later...

You can't trust Kwik Fit at all, a young lady came into my garage reporting a squeeking noise from under her car, we had a look and the exhaust was rubbing on the body of the car, a little tweak all fixed.

charged £10.

she then produced an estimate following a visit to kwik fit that morning for £560 for springs and shock absorbers all round the car as her suspension was so bad it was unsafe to drive. You are extremely lucky to find a kwik fit centre that does not use these tactics. I would have advised you to book your own mot, say nothing to them and see what it fails on and take it fron there without kwik fit touching the car first.

Sold as seen means nothing when you buy from a dealer !

Go and sort it out with the dealer, give them time to sort it out and Be polite and dont go quoting laws etc, they should sort it for you.

As for Quickfit, Have a read here about their tactics,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/09/kwik_fit.html#more

Just discussing Twit Fit with a motor factior today who confirmed that they have sales targets for items that are on offer from suppliers, so you have weeks where if you take your car in you will be told it for instance needs shock absorbers because they have them on offer terms from the suppliers that week - oh, and they'll spray WD40 over the shock to "show" it's leaking - disgusting

• 3 weeks later...