RLP and confused on what to do? please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Ive been different advice from people about how to handle RLP, and need helpful advice, my story is:

I'm 25 years old and used to work in a retail store called GAME, now my brother mention on game's website that there selling a game for £7.99, but he saw in store they were selling it for £37.99, he told me that he asked one of the staff members how much the trade-in value is (i wasnt present in store when this happened) and that staff member mentioned it was only £19.00 on giftcard

long story short, my brother and my best friend and myself bought a few copies the game legitamatly off games website and traded them in on a giftcard (so once used the store credit will go back to them)

Game fired me due trading in the games, saying i had inside information. i mean asking for trading prices isnt secret information and any member of the public can ask and it will be given, the company mentioned they made a loss and said id be willing to pay them back, but nothing was mentioned. and what i did, i dont consider as theft or crimminal act. so that was on March 4th

now August 3rd i recieved a letter from RLP wanting £480.00 and here is their breakdown of how it came up to that

1. Value of un-recovered (or unfit for resale) goods/monies/services: £67.26

2. Staff/Management time investigating and/or dealing with incident: £332.64

3. Administration costs resulting from your wrongful actions: £80.10

4. Apportioned secruity & surveillance costs: £0.00

Total: £480.00

they say there willing to accept a smaller fee if i pay within 21 days £397.45 but it has to be the full amount

i understand £67.26 for the value of un-recovered good etc, but what i dont understand why i should have to pay for there investigation me, so confused as i was, i went to see CAB, they mention they never heard of this before having to pay for an investigation, spoke to legal advice, national debt line and noboby had an idea.

i contacted game to see if it mentions anything like this in my contract or handbook, they said we'll send the contract but not the handbook as its employee material, game said it was a third party company and they have nothing to do with it

i phoned RLP on August 24th 2010 and they first said they wasnt willing to negotate, i mentioned that i havent had a job since march, and they said you can pay in installments, my best friend had a word with them and talked to them to go an talk to game to discuss about lowering the fee, they said, they will call us back the next day for the verdict, didnt hear from them and today 2nd september i recieved a letter from RLP saying i need to pay the full amount from 14 days from the post of the letter 25th august 2010

i feel i dont have to pay for an investigation that was taken on me, i dont mind paying £67.26, my best friend said why dont we just split the full amount 3 ways and get it done and over with, he said ill get bad record and if i go to court, then ill have to pay alot more if i lose, like court fee etc

i really dont know what to do, and i dont want to hassled or go to court, could someone please help me, and i do apologise for the lengthy message

Many thanks

p.s here is the company website of RLP

http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/Default.aspx

Hi, Ive been different advice from people about how to handle RLP, and need helpful advice, my story is:

I'm 25 years old and used to work in a retail store called GAME, now my brother mention on game's website that there selling a game for £7.99, but he saw in store they were selling it for £37.99, he told me that he asked one of the staff members how much the trade-in value is (i wasnt present in store when this happened) and that staff member mentioned it was only £19.00 on giftcard

long story short, my brother and my best friend and myself bought a few copies the game legitamatly off games website and traded them in on a giftcard (so once used the store credit will go back to them)

Game fired me due trading in the games, saying i had inside information. i mean asking for trading prices isnt secret information and any member of the public can ask and it will be given, the company mentioned they made a loss and said id be willing to pay them back, but nothing was mentioned. and what i did, i dont consider as theft or crimminal act. so that was on March 4th

now August 3rd i recieved a letter from RLP wanting £480.00 and here is their breakdown of how it came up to that

1. Value of un-recovered (or unfit for resale) goods/monies/services: £67.26

2. Staff/Management time investigating and/or dealing with incident: £332.64

3. Administration costs resulting from your wrongful actions: £80.10

4. Apportioned secruity & surveillance costs: £0.00

Total: £480.00

they say there willing to accept a smaller fee if i pay within 21 days £397.45 but it has to be the full amount

i understand £67.26 for the value of un-recovered good etc, but what i dont understand why i should have to pay for there investigation me, so confused as i was, i went to see CAB, they mention they never heard of this before having to pay for an investigation, spoke to legal advice, national debt line and noboby had an idea.

i contacted game to see if it mentions anything like this in my contract or handbook, they said we'll send the contract but not the handbook as its employee material, game said it was a third party company and they have nothing to do with it

i phoned RLP on August 24th 2010 and they first said they wasnt willing to negotate, i mentioned that i havent had a job since march, and they said you can pay in installments, my best friend had a word with them and talked to them to go an talk to game to discuss about lowering the fee, they said, they will call us back the next day for the verdict, didnt hear from them and today 2nd september i recieved a letter from RLP saying i need to pay the full amount from 14 days from the post of the letter 25th august 2010

i feel i dont have to pay for an investigation that was taken on me, i dont mind paying £67.26, my best friend said why dont we just split the full amount 3 ways and get it done and over with, he said ill get bad record and if i go to court, then ill have to pay alot more if i lose, like court fee etc

i really dont know what to do, and i dont want to hassled or go to court, could someone please help me, and i do apologise for the lengthy message

Many thanks

p.s here is the company website of RLP

http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/Default.aspx

edited

I don't understand RLP's involvement here.

I would have thought that everything would be between you and Game.

I also don't understand how they arrived at their losses - they paid you £19 per game on gift cards (that would have involved an element of their profit when you used them) and presumably they could sell the games that you sold them. Are they blaming you because they didn't have a sufficiently good knowledge of the market? they say unrecovered or unfit for sale - but that would not be the case.

I wouldn't communicate with RLP at all. I think that I would wait to see what Game did (if anything). I think that RLP would just be attempting to make some money at your expense and doubt that any money (even the £67.26) would be given to Game.

I think that in any event, Game would be the only company with any legitimate involvement in this.

I would ignor them and get on with my life. RLP are nothing more than a bunch of moron bullies.

If you write to them you will be baiting them. Dont respond to the threats, they will eventually get bored of you and move onto someone easier.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

I'm in another situation with RLP. All I can say as with what many others have said is that you should just ignore them. I've had times where I've fallen into thinking that I should pay. However, although it is hard, I've resisted and even if you did get into further trouble, you will always have someone to help you here on the forums like JonCris. Also, eventually, I hope it will feel less scary etc. over time like it has done to me (for now). One question I should put to you is:

Why would you want to give money to someone you don't know, for free?

All the best, AnonymousFighter.

-------------------------------------------------------

An AnonymousFighter Thread Post Reply

-------------------------------------------------------

Whether you're guilty of a crime or not, the bigger picture is, Retail Loss Prevention (RLP) commits the larger unjustifiable crime.

This isn't legal advice but my own opinion.

Don't ignore a demands letter, write back once to say that you have not caused any damages/loss (use their term) and you wish them to not send any further letters on this matter. Note any further letters they send to you or phone calls. Log your time in dealing with their correspondence. This game can be played in both ways.

If what you say is true then this is just Game being stupid.

You bought goods off the internet, then you sold those goods to Game, you made a profit. Well done that's what business does all day every day to stay in profit. They haven't suffered any "loss" in the legal sense by your actions. They didn't have to buy your game.

If you were employed for the appropriate length of time (not sure here whether this is 12 moths or other) then from your description you have been unfairly dismissed. Unfortunately if you are in a job for a shorter period then they only need give you notice as per your contract of employment. If they sacked you on the spot for gross misconduct then you won't have had your proper notice period.

I'd get your own "no win no fee" lawyer (suggest you check they don't have any conflict of interest with RLP or Game first) and take Game to an employment tribunal.

Also make sure your gift card value is honoured. If not honoured then you sue them for this loss. If the management took the card off you then they have stolen it from you and you can report them to the Police for this too. Note also that you can sue for hurt feelings and damage to your reputation. This potentially being the difference between your previous wages and what you could get with this mark on your character. You also what to be sure no database is out there with misinformation about you.

The key here I think is how you got the quote of the game. I really hope you didn't bypass any security passwords etc to get inside knowledge. I understand the store staff have leeway to set the price they are willing to pay for the game at the point of purchase, if you knew who set the price and colluded then you may have managed to defraud your employer. If you did get the normal price that everyone else would get (seems to be 50% of Game's price?) then you didn't defraud them.

Again, if in doubt seek real legal advice. Based on your circumstances you would probably be entitled to legal aid.

Edited by totallyinnocent