HadEnough

H/B overpayment, court threat

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3630 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

More problems, I had a H/B overpayments in 2005, Paid some back at the time and have paid extra when i've had the money. I ended up back on benefits last year, went into to a private let flat which i recieved HB for, now i'd forgot about this overpayment but i was reminded when they started taking £40,00 per month out of my HB, fair enough i owe the money so no problem with paying it back, my problem started because i had a written bond which only lasted 6 months, i was ment to save the £500.00 bond money in 6 months, because they took the £40.00 per month i couldn't save anything, in fact i turned the electric off and lived of reduced priced almost out of date food. Needless to say i lost the flat because of not haviong the bond money, this was 6 weeks ago, i'm now homeless again and have been trying to save for a deposit for somewhere else to live.

Today i recieved a letter demanding £150 in 7 days or they'll take me to court, i've rung them and explained to them but i was told that the minimum they would accept is £40.00 per month, obviously i haven't got that spare, living on the streets is more expensive than you'd think plus i want a deposit for somewhere before winter, i spent some of last winter on the streets so i'm not doing that again!

I should add that i'm on ESA and i'm another victim of the ATOS/DWP fiasco. Appeal date end of oct. I classed as vulnerable and under the "care" of the local mental health team.

Have i any options?

Edited by HadEnough
spelling

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

More problems, I had a H/B overpayments in 2005, Paid some back at the time and have paid extra when i've had the money. I ended up back on benefits last year, went into to a private let flat which i recieved HB for, now i'd forgot about this overpayment but i was reminded when they started taking £40,00 per month out of my HB, fair enough i owe the money so no problem with paying it back, my problem started because i had a written bond which only lasted 6 months, i was ment to save the £500.00 bond money in 6 months, because they took the £40.00 per month i couldn't save anything, in fact i turned the electric off and lived of reduced priced almost out of date food. Needless to say i lost the flat because of not haviong the bond money, this was 6 weeks ago, i'm now homeless again and have been trying to save for a deposit for somewhere else to live.

Today i recieved a letter demanding £150 in 7 days or they'll take me to court, i've rung them and explained to them but i was told that the minimum they would accept is £40.00 per month, obviously i haven't got that spare, living on the streets is more expensive than you'd think plus i want a deposit for somewhere before winter, i spent some of last winter on the streets so i'm not doing that again!

I should add that i'm on ESA and i'm another victim of the ATOS/DWP fiasco. Appeal date end of oct. I classed as vulnerable and under the "care" of the local mental health team.

Have i any options?

If it was me and its only my personal opinion, given your current situation I would pay only what you believe you can afford. Taking you to court is nothing to fear and may work in your favour..

Can you not see if the local authority can apply to the DWP to pay a small amount weekly from your benefits? they took £5.80 from me per week for an overpayment of HB ( which actually wasnt an overpayment but thats another story.) All I had to do was ask the local authority to apply for this to the DWP.

Question is, was the over payment your fault or their fault. If theirs, they cannot claim it back.

Hi and thanks for your replies, yes it's all my fault.

In my own messed up way i'm thinking to tell them to go forth and multiply, I'm not sure, but if i'm correct then i'll only get a couple of days and when they release me they'll have to find me somewhere to live thus solving my homeless problem.

Does anyone know more about this? or am i grasping straws??

What about visiting your local council's housing department and seeing if they do a rent deposit scheme, whereby they lend you the money for a deposit and you pay it back at about £5 p/w?

Already tried that for my last flat, written bond only, then theres the problem of finding someone who accepts that! took me 3 months last time! I hate to say it but the prison option looks to be my only way out of this nightmare.

It says something about society in general when this seems to be my only way out of this mess, a criminal record in exchange for a roof over my head.

I classed as vulnerable and under the "care" of the local mental health team.

QUOTE]

do you have a social worker?

Im not experienced at this kind of thing and Im sure others here are, but "vulnerable" is a word I know that is used when dealing with the homeless... again from my own experience. sorry I dont know more. I got all the help I needed from a benefits/homeless solicitor who did legal aid .

Sushi-lover

HadEnough my heart goes out to you. It really does sound like you're in a terrible position and sadly are not the only person out there who feels prison is better than their current living conditions.

Admittedly I don't know much about council housing but are you on any of their lists, or lists of any housing associations?

Hadenough, I'm so sorry you are in the place you find yourself at the moment. Have you spoken to Shelter at all?

My best, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

If it was me and its only my personal opinion, given your current situation I would pay only what you believe you can afford. Taking you to court is nothing to fear and may work in your favour..

That's the best advice for I agree 100% with you that's exactly what I would do and going to court the OP can even pay less than the £40.00 asked.

You should go to the Homeless Section of your local council or other Local charities there are help out there for homeless people.