You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• In terms of whether they were licensed or not, it's not a red herring to the extent that it would have made it a little clearer whether or not they were trading. However, if you sell a litter of puppies at £1200 each, then I think that the issue of whether somebody is making profit out of it is beyond question
    • Of course it would be helpful if it is possible to say that the breeder should have known about this – but liabilities in contract are pretty strict and so it's not especially relevant. The fact is that you bought defective goods and you are entitled to reject them or to insist on a repair at your option. You are not obliged to reject the goods. Whether or not the breeder was doing this for the first time and whether or not this breeder was doing this as their main occupation is not relevant, in my view. If they were selling the puppies for profit then it was a business matter. I don't think that they can avoid liabilities under the Consumer Rights Act simply by saying that they are a small business et cetera. It's a bit like dealing with eBay traders who try to say that they are simply private traders and not commercial traders. They are still caught by the act and they still although their customers the same level of responsibility. Where the issue of whether or not the defect could have been detected by Vets4Pets if they had exercise reasonable care becomes an issue if you wanted to join them in the action on the basis of negligence. It seems to me that they had a duty of care to anybody who is likely to be affected by the report – meaning anybody who might relying on the report when making a purchasing decision. Furthermore, they had a contract with the home breeder and if they should reasonably have detected the defect then they would have breach the contract by not picking it up. In that case you could bring them in as a second defendant relying on your third party rights which you enjoy under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.   The intention or motive of the seller – shamelessly profiteering – or otherwise – is also not relevant. The fact that they are naïve about the business is also not relevant. If they undertake to sell any goods – and maybe especially sentient beings, then they have a clear responsibility – both legally and morally to be fully aware of all aspects. In the independent quotations that you obtain, you should probably ask the question as to whether or not this defect could reasonably have been detected by the Vets4Pets exam.  
    • I'm not a dog owner so apologies if this is a dumb question. At the age when Vets4Pets did their check would it have been reasonable for this condition to have been identified? Or is it something which only becomes evident when the puppy is a few weeks older?
    • Ah sorry i missed that bit.   So is that the next stage? As you say, seems like a bit of a gap then between that date, and the 14 days prior to date.
    • Hi, Sorry, yes he’s a cockerpoo.   Couple other points I missed: Insurance won’t cover any illness claims within the first 14 days of cover, so we’re automatically rejected. Either way, they probably wouldn’t cover it because it’s a pre existing condition. I don’t really want to publish the name of the seller until the claim is settled either way.  The seller tried to pursue Vets4Pets but they aren’t admitting any responsibility at present.   I honestly believe they care about their dog, and aren’t shamelessly profiteering, but perhaps have been a little naive about the liabilities associated with selling puppies. The potential costs of the dental treatment have obviously rang alarm bells.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
pugilist

Laptop from Currys stopped working after 1 y. warranty expired.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3585 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I bought an Acer laptop from Currys 1 year ago. Nearly month ago 1 year warranty period expired, and couple of days ago the laptop stopped working. It turns on and everything seems to be ok with it but the screen is black, it shows nothing at all. I can assure that there is no defects caused by me or whoever else. There is no visible damage at all. No one never ever changed enything inside the laptop. I've always treated it with caution.

What I want to know is can I bring it back to Currys and make them do smth to it... because it is really stressing to pay half a thouthand pounds to use a laptop just one year and go and buy another one...

makes no odds its over 1yr old

you are covered by SOGA

that specifies the product must last a 'resonable' period

typically +3yrs for a laptop.

your port of call is with currys

we have them on-board here

send a pm to this member:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/member.php?246892-chris-t-2k7

can i suggest though, just in-case it COULD be a wrong key press to connect it up to an external PC monitor via it's VGA socket on the back.

most laptops have a Fn key + a number key that when pressed switches the video output between the internal screen & an external monitor

SOME laptops will not display anything on the build-in screen if this is set to external monitor.

you should be able to identify which Fn+number key it is by looking at the symbols on the number keys across the numbers row of the keyboard

or look in your manual.

most laptops have a series of LED indicators showing things like power & hardrive activity.....

does the laptops hardrive light flicker after starting as if it is loading, or are the lights 'the same' from first power up and do not change as such?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

dx10uk,

Thank you very much for such an extensive answer!!!

First I'll check all Fn+ issues and then I'll get in touch with the man on ur link.

Even set to external monitor, comes in after the bios. You should still see the initial startup. Sounds like the screen lamp. Try tipping the screen and looking at an angle. Is the display actually there but VERY faint?

As said though, the 12 months warranty does not mean it is ok to pack in after 12 months and a few days.

Hi guys,

I've checked everything thoroughly and came to the final conclusion - the laptop is out of order.

I did all the stuff that dx100uk advised me to do (Fn+ hotkeys, read the manual ... etc ) and I did everything as wheelergeezer said(tipped the screen and looked at the angle). The display is not faint or very faint - it is dark, dead.

Now I'm going to write a private message to chris-t-2k7

yep that'll get you sorted

dx

do u think they gonna replace the laptop or fix it?

Currys laptops what an arse !

Bought my laptop from them July 09 first Jack plug socket went they took it away didn't get it back for 28 days ! Then it had a serious overheating problem presumed it was the fan and HDMI output did not work ! Sent it back for repair all within 1years warrenty again did not get it back for 28 days so only had 10 months use out of 12 at best !

Tried to get it refunded but was told by trading standards if I pushed for my money back they may dig their heels in and wait for it to go to court and I should accept repair.

Got it back and the repair report didn't list anything !!??? within 5 months the Jack plug port was playing up again took a load of wiggling to get it to feed a charge !

The latest ! I was working with it 3 weeks ago and the thing caught fire on my lap ! :jaw:

Burnt a hole in the couch ! I was going to leave it on charge the night before Thank F I didn't dread to think what would have happened - when I phoned them they were extremely shocked and arranged to pick it up in 48hours and have a new one back to me in 10 days - I should think so too........

However decided that I should go back to manafacturer and they have taken 3 weeks to send me a new one expected here tomorrow still paying whatever happens I must be a mug should have demanded refund immediatley now left with hole in couch and very weary of leaving my kids with other laptop my seven year old said don't worry mummy if it caught fire when I was using it I would pour water on it. :!:

Then goggled laptops catching fire ...............................

Can't believe it !

do u think they gonna replace the laptop or fix it?

it will be a repair under soga guidelines

dx

Currys laptops what an arse !

Bought my laptop from them July 09 first Jack plug socket went they took it away didn't get it back for 28 days ! Then it had a serious overheating problem presumed it was the fan and HDMI output did not work ! Sent it back for repair all within 1years warrenty again did not get it back for 28 days so only had 10 months use out of 12 at best !

Tried to get it refunded but was told by trading standards if I pushed for my money back they may dig their heels in and wait for it to go to court and I should accept repair.

Got it back and the repair report didn't list anything !!??? within 5 months the Jack plug port was playing up again took a load of wiggling to get it to feed a charge !

The latest ! I was working with it 3 weeks ago and the thing caught fire on my lap ! :jaw:

Burnt a hole in the couch ! I was going to leave it on charge the night before Thank F I didn't dread to think what would have happened - when I phoned them they were extremely shocked and arranged to pick it up in 48hours and have a new one back to me in 10 days - I should think so too........

However decided that I should go back to manafacturer and they have taken 3 weeks to send me a new one expected here tomorrow still paying whatever happens I must be a mug should have demanded refund immediatley now left with hole in couch and very weary of leaving my kids with other laptop my seven year old said don't worry mummy if it caught fire when I was using it I would pour water on it. :!:

Then goggled laptops catching fire ...............................

Can't believe it !

trouble with laptops and couches, quilts and laps etc...it blocks the fan grill so's it gets no air and gets hot...

....urh, i wonder if thats not mentioned in the user manual that nobody ever reads.....

dx

trouble with laptops and couches, quilts and laps etc...it blocks the fan grill so's it gets no air and gets hot...

....urh, i wonder if thats not mentioned in the user manual that nobody ever reads.....

dx

DX

Totally agree ..... They said that when I first phoned but this is laughable because it was sold as a laptop hence the name change to net book note book etc....

They also asked what the weather was like ?? However you would imagine if there was a power surge caused by a storm the adapter would short out as a protection mechanisum wouldn't you ? But weather at the time usual grey English day. Maybe that should go in manual too......

When it caught fire only the cable was on the couch and I am still to learn if it was a problem with the inside of the computer firing out out cable firing in if you know what I mean as it was at the top of the power cable that inginited.

The reports on line about laptops catching fire where put down to the batteries and one was videoed catching fire when on a table ?? maybe they should all be sold with stands ??

My children have a very basic laptop from same manufacturer and it now has problems with the charging port too ..... Its only 6 weeks old I've totally lost faith in this "quality" manufacturer

Recieved my new replacement laptop which is much higher spec than original but touchpad errrrrr....... it's like ckicking on a tin can ! It requires two hands to use and you cannot use it to scroll down the page highly annoying !!!!!!!!!!! now I'm going to have to buy a mouse

All in all totally disappointed but I must say this system does not get warm let alone hot so I wonder if they have fixed that problem or maybe they are just using better fans ??

yea it's diff to know.

you can scoll with touchpads esp if it an intelligent one

mine is double tap an wipe finger down or up at the side.

dx

Dx

Trying but still doesn't work, Ill keep trying and let you know if I manage to do it, currently I am only getting it to highlight the words but still not moving page up or down ? Well i'm lying really it will move down 1cm lol maybe it's for our "entertainment" ...........

Arhh got it not use to having to move cursor down off page to scroll thanks dx your my personal manual talking of which one was not supplied with unit .........

Going to take alot of getting use to but must say like the enclosed keypad

Cheers DX

hehe

keep tapping

how about looking on line

the manuals are all there

dx

Hi everyone!

I contacted Chris as dx advised me to do and now the problem is solved!

It looks like the Currys are not guilty and it is just a technical issue.

What I did is

1 - I unscrewed the panel and removed both memory modules,

2 - than I powered the laptop on

3 - Than I reseated the modules and powered the unit on again and ....now everything works!!!!!!

Thanks very much to Chris! I'm really happy that I don't have to visit Currys !

Chris e05a53f56fcde85da04e41c18eb4b398.gif