Laptop from Currys stopped working after 1 y. warranty expired.

pugilist
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I bought an Acer laptop from Currys 1 year ago. Nearly month ago 1 year warranty period expired, and couple of days ago the laptop stopped working. It turns on and everything seems to be ok with it but the screen is black, it shows nothing at all. I can assure that there is no defects caused by me or whoever else. There is no visible damage at all. No one never ever changed enything inside the laptop. I've always treated it with caution.

What I want to know is can I bring it back to Currys and make them do smth to it... because it is really stressing to pay half a thouthand pounds to use a laptop just one year and go and buy another one...

makes no odds its over 1yr old

you are covered by SOGA

that specifies the product must last a 'resonable' period

typically +3yrs for a laptop.

your port of call is with currys

we have them on-board here

send a pm to this member:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/member.php?246892-chris-t-2k7

can i suggest though, just in-case it COULD be a wrong key press to connect it up to an external PC monitor via it's VGA socket on the back.

most laptops have a Fn key + a number key that when pressed switches the video output between the internal screen & an external monitor

SOME laptops will not display anything on the build-in screen if this is set to external monitor.

you should be able to identify which Fn+number key it is by looking at the symbols on the number keys across the numbers row of the keyboard

or look in your manual.

most laptops have a series of LED indicators showing things like power & hardrive activity.....

does the laptops hardrive light flicker after starting as if it is loading, or are the lights 'the same' from first power up and do not change as such?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Even set to external monitor, comes in after the bios. You should still see the initial startup. Sounds like the screen lamp. Try tipping the screen and looking at an angle. Is the display actually there but VERY faint?

As said though, the 12 months warranty does not mean it is ok to pack in after 12 months and a few days.

Hi guys,

I've checked everything thoroughly and came to the final conclusion - the laptop is out of order.

I did all the stuff that dx100uk advised me to do (Fn+ hotkeys, read the manual ... etc ) and I did everything as wheelergeezer said(tipped the screen and looked at the angle). The display is not faint or very faint - it is dark, dead.

Now I'm going to write a private message to chris-t-2k7

yep that'll get you sorted

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Currys laptops what an arse !

Bought my laptop from them July 09 first Jack plug socket went they took it away didn't get it back for 28 days ! Then it had a serious overheating problem presumed it was the fan and HDMI output did not work ! Sent it back for repair all within 1years warrenty again did not get it back for 28 days so only had 10 months use out of 12 at best !

Tried to get it refunded but was told by trading standards if I pushed for my money back they may dig their heels in and wait for it to go to court and I should accept repair.

Got it back and the repair report didn't list anything !!??? within 5 months the Jack plug port was playing up again took a load of wiggling to get it to feed a charge !

The latest ! I was working with it 3 weeks ago and the thing caught fire on my lap ! :jaw:

Burnt a hole in the couch ! I was going to leave it on charge the night before Thank F I didn't dread to think what would have happened - when I phoned them they were extremely shocked and arranged to pick it up in 48hours and have a new one back to me in 10 days - I should think so too........

However decided that I should go back to manafacturer and they have taken 3 weeks to send me a new one expected here tomorrow still paying whatever happens I must be a mug should have demanded refund immediatley now left with hole in couch and very weary of leaving my kids with other laptop my seven year old said don't worry mummy if it caught fire when I was using it I would pour water on it. :!:

Then goggled laptops catching fire ...............................

Can't believe it !

do u think they gonna replace the laptop or fix it?

it will be a repair under soga guidelines

dx

and they

Currys laptops what an arse !

Bought my laptop from them July 09 first Jack plug socket went they took it away didn't get it back for 28 days ! Then it had a serious overheating problem presumed it was the fan and HDMI output did not work ! Sent it back for repair all within 1years warrenty again did not get it back for 28 days so only had 10 months use out of 12 at best !

Tried to get it refunded but was told by trading standards if I pushed for my money back they may dig their heels in and wait for it to go to court and I should accept repair.

Got it back and the repair report didn't list anything !!??? within 5 months the Jack plug port was playing up again took a load of wiggling to get it to feed a charge !

The latest ! I was working with it 3 weeks ago and the thing caught fire on my lap ! :jaw:

Burnt a hole in the couch ! I was going to leave it on charge the night before Thank F I didn't dread to think what would have happened - when I phoned them they were extremely shocked and arranged to pick it up in 48hours and have a new one back to me in 10 days - I should think so too........

However decided that I should go back to manafacturer and they have taken 3 weeks to send me a new one expected here tomorrow still paying whatever happens I must be a mug should have demanded refund immediatley now left with hole in couch and very weary of leaving my kids with other laptop my seven year old said don't worry mummy if it caught fire when I was using it I would pour water on it. :!:

Then goggled laptops catching fire ...............................

Can't believe it !

trouble with laptops and couches, quilts and laps etc...it blocks the fan grill so's it gets no air and gets hot...

....urh, i wonder if thats not mentioned in the user manual that nobody ever reads.....

dx

and they

trouble with laptops and couches, quilts and laps etc...it blocks the fan grill so's it gets no air and gets hot...

....urh, i wonder if thats not mentioned in the user manual that nobody ever reads.....

dx

DX

Totally agree ..... They said that when I first phoned but this is laughable because it was sold as a laptop hence the name change to net book note book etc....

They also asked what the weather was like ?? However you would imagine if there was a power surge caused by a storm the adapter would short out as a protection mechanisum wouldn't you ? But weather at the time usual grey English day. Maybe that should go in manual too......

When it caught fire only the cable was on the couch and I am still to learn if it was a problem with the inside of the computer firing out out cable firing in if you know what I mean as it was at the top of the power cable that inginited.

The reports on line about laptops catching fire where put down to the batteries and one was videoed catching fire when on a table ?? maybe they should all be sold with stands ??

My children have a very basic laptop from same manufacturer and it now has problems with the charging port too ..... Its only 6 weeks old I've totally lost faith in this "quality" manufacturer

Recieved my new replacement laptop which is much higher spec than original but touchpad errrrrr....... it's like ckicking on a tin can ! It requires two hands to use and you cannot use it to scroll down the page highly annoying !!!!!!!!!!! now I'm going to have to buy a mouse

All in all totally disappointed but I must say this system does not get warm let alone hot so I wonder if they have fixed that problem or maybe they are just using better fans ??

yea it's diff to know.

you can scoll with touchpads esp if it an intelligent one

mine is double tap an wipe finger down or up at the side.

dx

and they

Dx

Trying but still doesn't work, Ill keep trying and let you know if I manage to do it, currently I am only getting it to highlight the words but still not moving page up or down ? Well i'm lying really it will move down 1cm lol maybe it's for our "entertainment" ...........

Arhh got it not use to having to move cursor down off page to scroll thanks dx your my personal manual talking of which one was not supplied with unit .........

Going to take alot of getting use to but must say like the enclosed keypad

Cheers DX

hehe

keep tapping

how about looking on line

the manuals are all there

dx

and they

Hi everyone!

I contacted Chris as dx advised me to do and now the problem is solved!

It looks like the Currys are not guilty and it is just a technical issue.

What I did is

1 - I unscrewed the panel and removed both memory modules,

2 - than I powered the laptop on

3 - Than I reseated the modules and powered the unit on again and ....now everything works!!!!!!

Thanks very much to Chris! I'm really happy that I don't have to visit Currys !

Chris e05a53f56fcde85da04e41c18eb4b398.gif