Is FPN Notice a Valid Licence in Europe?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I received a FPN notice and handed over my licence on the spot.

I told the PC that I would be going away in a few weeks and had a car hired. He told me that the yellow notice would be accepted as my licence and I would have my licence back before I went anyway.

Well surprise - my licence is not back and I go away early next week - they haven't even received my licence yet.

Well the yellow FPN Notice suffice as driving id for the car hire in Italy?

Many thanks

J

Hi

I received a FPN notice and handed over my licence on the spot.

I told the PC that I would be going away in a few weeks and had a car hired. He told me that the yellow notice would be accepted as my licence and I would have my licence back before I went anyway.

Well surprise - my licence is not back and I go away early next week - they haven't even received my licence yet.

Well the yellow FPN Notice suffice as driving id for the car hire in Italy?

Many thanks

J

No idea I suggest checking with one of the motoring organizations AA/RAC

No - it needs to be the actual licence (some also insist on the counterpart) otherwise they may refuse the hire AND charge the minimum cancellation for not complying with their request to display a valid licence. They MAY accept a photcopy if you remembered to take one before handing your licence over.

Hi - I wouldn't like to argue with Buzby, but I fail to see why the hire company won't accept the FPN as your licence; the FPN acts not only as your receipt to say the Police have it, but it also acts as your licence until you gets your's back from them. That being the case, the FPN is your licence and the hire co. should accept it.

However, the sensible way forward would be to contact the hire company direct and ask the question; that way, you will know for sure either way.

If Buzby is right, then you may have to think of plan B, like who else could drive the hire car!

Two observations. This is a hire company, and the T&Cs routinely state that a valid licence MUST be presented at the inception of hire. (NOT a receipt for one). Add to this the FPM won't be in Italian (or whatever), you could be giving the person a Waitrose raincheck voucher and say it was a UK licence stand-in.

Better to be safe than sorry!

As already mentioned, the FPN is a substitute licence and hire companies are obliged to accept the FPN as proof of holding a licence.

As a matter of interest, if you are hiring a car in the UK, no one other than a Police officer or the courts are allowed to ask to see your counterpart.

You can be asked to see your photocard, and hire companies have an arrangement with DVLA to carry out confirmation checks if they require further information, but they cannot penalise you for failing to produce the counterpart, hence the reason why they have to acept your FPN.

What nonsense! The Hire Companies are under no 'obligation' to accept a FPN, which is simply a receipt - it may be satisfactory to Police should there be another request to view a licence, but a hire company doesn;t play therse games. And on foreign soil? The Hire Companies require a licence AND counterpart, as it is the latter that confirms the number of points (as some insurers refuse to provide cover if there are 6 or more points extant).

Perhaps you shoud read the hire companies requirements before suggesting an action that will result in a refusal to hire and loss of a deposit.

What nonsense! The Hire Companies are under no 'obligation' to accept a FPN, which is simply a receipt - it may be satisfactory to Police should there be another request to view a licence, but a hire company doesn;t play therse games. And on foreign soil? The Hire Companies require a licence AND counterpart, as it is the latter that confirms the number of points (as some insurers refuse to provide cover if there are 6 or more points extant).

Perhaps you shoud read the hire companies requirements before suggesting an action that will result in a refusal to hire and loss of a deposit.

OK, I bow to your greater knowledge, what do I know?

I think you will find that a FPN is not just a receipt, it IS your licence until you receive yours back.

Also, each hire company will have their own requirements in terms of licence production - I doubt every company has the same cart blanche rules; I do agree though, they may not hire without production of counterpart.

That is why I suggested contacting the hire company direct; most european comapany's will have staff that speak fluent english. I'm sure that is the simplest way forward

I've hired loads of cars abroad (particularly USA) just by producing the photocard. Never in the UK - they always want the counterpart.

As for the FPN bit - I'd phone this one ahead and while the FPN receipt satisfies the law for producing documents to the police AFAIK it is entirely up to the car hire companies whether to accept or not for hire purposes.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

I think you will find that a FPN is not just a receipt, it IS your licence until you receive yours back.

Also, each hire company will have their own requirements in terms of licence production - I doubt every company has the same cart blanche rules; I do agree though, they may not hire without production of counterpart.

That is why I suggested contacting the hire company direct; most european comapany's will have staff that speak fluent english. I'm sure that is the simplest way forward

I don't think 'speaking' to the hire company will do much good cos even if they say its OK its what happens when that French, Spanish, Italian cop pulls you over that matters & rest assured THEY (rightly or wrongly) like to see a proper licence & if they don't the fine is large.

It'll ruin the holiday thats fer sure