PJK

Pace Forward & Rockwell on my case for god knows what help please

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3621 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Ok new to forum so all help needed, history is ran up a few debts way back in mid to late 1990's, when I went through a messy divorce,yes some still outstanding but have heard nothing from them in years and made no contact with them in at least 10 years, had a dispute with a university library over a missing book over 7 yrs ago, but thought it had been dealt with and as far as I was concerned I had returned all books hence the dispute but for the best part of 10+ yrs with exception of the library book instance have never gone into debt, owe no-one and have moved on with my life, now out of the blue got a letter from Pace Forward (19th August) asking me to contact them to discuss a personal matter, I ignored it, after checking them out on the internet, today I got a phone call from Rockwell, god knows how they have my current home number, I got suspicious when they asked to speak to me regarding a personal matter same wording as previous letter and told them I wasn't the person they were looking for and to get lost, white lie I know but not getting into phone conversations with these people, but how the hell do I find out what the hell these people think I owe them without getting into further dialogue with them and protecting myself at the same time it may be 10+ yrs since I went through this but I do remember the nasty tactics they tried using, nearly forgot, my common law husband has also been getting phone calls on his mobile asking for me, he was totally unaware of the implications until I rang him to let him know about the phone call today but assures me he hasn't passed any info on, I'm more worried they will try and come to the house, I have young children now and my partner has never been in debt in his life is horrified and I feel like these people have put a cloud over our relationship until I can prove I don't owe these people anything, not sure if it helps but the house cars everything material is in my partners name, all advice welcome and sorry for babbling

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about this too much. When they ring you, just refuse to deal with it on the phone.

Once you get something in writing then you can deal with it if you wish.

We have some letters on the forum you can send them but until they write, you won't have a reference number to refer to.

If they tried to send anyone round, you can tell them to foxtrot oscar and they have to leave. If they refuse to leave, call the police.(Not 999)

On to the main thing. As it's been so long since you have had any contact, it is highly likely these "debts" will be Statute Barred.

For now, I would advise not to do anything and when you get something in writing, come back and we can help deal with them.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If you have absolutely no idea what this alleged debt is about, I'd ignore them. If they phone, don't give them any information - don't even identify yourself.

If Rockwell are not simply on a phishing trip (sounds like they might well be) then they will eventually send you a letter. You can then deal with the situation accordingly. If Rockwell, or anyone else, continues to harass you and/or your partner by phone, you can warn them that if it continues, you will inform OFTEL, your phone provider, the OFT and of course, your local police.

They also have no rights to send anyone to your door to collect unless you have given your prior permission.

There are letter templates here that deal with both of the above issues and also with refuting an alleged debt when you have no knowledge of it. Until they tell you what it's all about - the onus is on them to explain themselves - then I'd simply ignore them.

If things escalate, there are plenty of people here who will be willing to advise. Above all, don't worry!

H.

Please note, I am not professionally qualified in legal matters. Should you have any doubts, you should contact a legal expert.

However, I can and will help with matters regarding payroll as I am fully qualified.

If I've helped in any way, you're welcome to click on my "star" and thanks, but I gain the most satisfaction simply by helping/reassuring :O)

1. If you get any more phone calls refuse to answer any security questions or confirm who you are, then hang up.

2. If it is a debt owed by you then sooner or later they will write to you with some details. Until they do, ignore them completely.

3. If and when they do write to you any alleged debt is statute barred and you can tell them to get lost.

These people have NO POWER whatsoever and are merely trying to intimidate and bully you. If they did turn up at your house (most unlikely) you are perfectly entitled to tell them to get lost and call the police if they won't leave. There is also a chance that it's not your debt at all and you just have a similar name to someone else.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks Silverfox ,Halibutt and reallymadwoman for the quick responses feel a little better already, going to make a written note of all the advice to keep by the phone so if they ring again I know exactly what to say and check out the templates suggested, will probably be back in the near future though, get the feeling these guys are gonna test my patience :)

Just a quick question, will a credit report check say through experian or similar show up any outstanding debts and shed any light on this matter, it's just the last time I ran a check my account was clear It showed I currently owed a total of £41 on my credit cards current and always paid on time and everything was satisfactory, and if not why wouldn't it show?

It's highly unlikely anything will show as this alleged debt is older than 6 years (the amount of time a bad marker stays on your file)

It would, however, be prudent to check your file just to make sure no-one has slipped a default under the wire

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

So am I right in thinking that if my credit report is still clear as I'm sure it will be, that whatever Pace Forward and Rockwell and no doubt the other associates are trying to collect on is over 6 yrs old and statute barred and I can simply tell them to go away or similar :)

If the alleged debt is six years old or more and during that time, you haven't acknowledged it in any way, whether in writing or by payment, then the debt is statute barred. Technically the debt still exists, but the DCA cannot take any collection action. After six years in England and Wales, any marker on your credit report should have dropped off.

If you have a quick look at the Statute Barred template, it states what a DCA is not allowed to do:

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No 4563210025897412

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Edited by Halibutt

Please note, I am not professionally qualified in legal matters. Should you have any doubts, you should contact a legal expert.

However, I can and will help with matters regarding payroll as I am fully qualified.

If I've helped in any way, you're welcome to click on my "star" and thanks, but I gain the most satisfaction simply by helping/reassuring :O)

Well got my 1st letter today after I explained to them that no one would deal with anything over the telephone and if they continued I would consider it to be harassment, it's from their pre-legal dept lol,saying I owe Natwest in excess of £1200, and I must pay up in 10 days or else further action will be taken, well I haven't acknowledged this debt in approx 10 yrs , 1st letter ever received at this property regarding this debt and lived here in excess of 9 yrs and the sum of money demanded is absurd, never owed that much from the start but not really my point what I need to know is this definitely statute barred and can I tell them to take the high road, or could they enforce this debt after so long. Also did a credit check yesterday and as clean as a whistle.

Ok then, just send the letter halibutt posted above and that should see them off. If they persist, report them to trading standards and the OFT.

If they try to sell this on to some other low life **** sucking DCA (too much? :lol:) report them.

Make sure you send the letter recorded delivery. You wouldn't want them trying to say "we never received any letter"

Thank you silver fox

Well received yet another phone call today from Rockwell, again didn't identify myself but explained to Rockwell that the debt in question was Statute Barred and as previously told to stop calling, any further calls would be reported from there on everything very polite and thought once SB letter reaches them hopefully the end, then several minutes later a string of very strange calls from some financial reclaim consortium asking for my partner, I know it was Rockwell (by the ring tone when you answer the call it carries on as if transferring you to another dept) or one of there group but has any one had anything similar, they've just rang again got my partner to take call whilst I listened in and were banging on about reclaiming charges from credit agreements blah blah and previous loans, gave my partner the signal to cut them short and explain he doesn't have any so no need for their services but am I being paranoid here or were they on a phishing trip to see if they can link me financially to my partner or is this a legit company and I'm just being a lil defensive here

Once your phone number is in the public domain, you would be surprised at how easy it is for some nefarious company to get hold of it.

Have you registered your home phone on the TPS website

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/