1997 Student Loan Help

vivalaviv
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Trying to find out just what happened in 2004 with SLC. Was the student book sold? and if so, who to?

After an amicable relationship with SLC since 1997 I suddenly had a letter from baliffs followed by demands to pay my 'arrears' in 2004. Apparently I had broken the contract by not communicating with them and therefore I had to pay asap! But I had kept in touch and informed them of my change of addresses and my circumstances on a regular basis. As they can't prove anything and neither can I we have been at stale-mate since.

I need some background info on SLC as I need to appeal a decision made by them which affects my application for financial support for an OU degree. I seem to recall that under the terms of the old loan if you turned 50 and had not repaid then the contract was ended. Where would I find this information as everything seems to refer to the 'new-style' loan?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I informed them that if they believed I hadn't been in touch with them at all since 1997 then the debt would be statute barred. They have never replied but the debt collection agency who wrote to me last year asking for payment has not written since I told them the debt was statute barred!

I informed them that if they believed I hadn't been in touch with them at all since 1997 then the debt would be statute barred. They have never replied but the debt collection agency who wrote to me last year asking for payment has not written since I told them the debt was statute barred!

Brilliant. That was what I was getting at.

It's very liekly, based upon what you have said, that this debt is statute barred.

DCA's chasing SLC debts always pull the line that student loans cannot be held under the limitations act, that is utter nonsense! Of course they can!

So that means they have no right to prevent me getting financial support for OU.

Awaiting reply from OU as I have informed them about the situation.

Thanks

That's an interesting question for sure, I'll research for you when I'm in work next week and report back. I would have done it tomorrow but I'm off :(

• 2 months later...

OU replied that as I 'owed' SLC £ they wouldn't fund my fees. As I am eligible for free fees for financial support SLC have prevented me from taking up my OU place.

Therefore I am now going through the SLC complaints process.

Has anyone else already done this? Any advice out there would be welcome

I expect to arrive at the Financial Ombudsman eventually - probably 2011! Its a slow process despite the dead-lines they have set themselves.

Also have considered contacting David Willetts MP the Minister for Universities & Science.